>
Board Index Getting Started Website Help

need help from those with more experience

Read about whats new and improved on the site, or make suggestions about how we can make the website better.

Postby shawn » Sun Jul 29, 2007 2:03 pm

I just bought my first gun, I found a used SIG p225 with two clips at Gander Mountain. Very little wear, it was a police turn in. I got it for 349 on clearance plus I paid 20 for a year (13 month total) full waranty that covers all parts and labor if theirs an issue + one free cleaning and inspection. They clean and test them before they sell them too. I am bolting my new safe to my floor as we speak and cant wait to go to the range on tuesday to try it out. Yes I also bought cleaning supplys and oil.
shawn

Postby agonist » Sun Jul 29, 2007 7:56 pm

Sounds pretty good shawn. Great gun. Enjoy.
agonist

Postby jdeangelis99 » Tue Jul 31, 2007 2:06 pm

congrats shawn.. I hope you stick with the website. How is the gun working for you? Have you shot it yet?
jdeangelis99

Postby shawn » Tue Jul 31, 2007 3:46 pm

I am going to the range today to try it out. I found a 10 shot mag online for it to replace the 8 that it comes with but it would stick out a little. If I like the way it shoots today I want to replace the stock grips with wood grips, I was wondering where I can find info on where to have that done so as to also extend the grip a little so I can put in the 10 shot mags. I will report later how it shoots for me.
shawn

Postby jdeangelis99 » Tue Jul 31, 2007 4:06 pm

go to a gunsmith..ALot of lil gun stores will do work on guns
jdeangelis99

Postby shawn » Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:39 pm

I shot today at the range. I like the gun, its accurate as hell! I had mostly like to rent the glocks at the range before and while I do like them this was tottally different, the gun seemed steadier. I shot much better with this gun. I liked the trigger. Everything about it rocks but.... I had a few times when the first round would not chamber properly. It seemed to not want to chamber the first round when I would put in a new mag with the chamber (is that the right term?) back after finishing a mag and pressing the release to snap it back. The bullet would be stuck in at an angle. The mags are old and the springs in them not very strong. Could this cause it? When I would put a mag in and snap back the top it would work fine. What should I be checking?
shawn

Postby agonist » Wed Aug 01, 2007 7:53 am

So you're saying the slide release works on an empty mag but sometimes not a full one?

When purchasing a used gun (and even a new gun)it's always a good idea to break it down and give it a thorough cleaning before shooting. Even if it were cleaned before the sale it may just have been a field strip cleaning.

When you have it apart be sure to look for packed down carbon deposits at the back and top of the chamber and in the spaces around the firing assembly along the rails. These deposits can hamper slide movement. Also make sure the feed ramp is clean.

The issue could also be ammo brand.
agonist

Postby jdeangelis99 » Wed Aug 01, 2007 1:39 pm

Shaun the mags could be messed up. If you keep your mags always loaded it can mess the springs up. What I like to do is switch mags in my gun that I keep on my night stand. I unload the mag everything 2 days and switch the mags. I once also had the slide realise break and it would lock up on me after a few shots and I still had rounds in the mag.. Problem solve it. Try diffrent mags or take your slide off and feel if the slide release feels loose. ALso try cleaning the gun it might just be really dirty
jdeangelis99

Postby shawn » Sat Aug 04, 2007 3:21 pm

OK, so took the gun back to gander mt and had the gunsmith polish the extractor under my protection plan. I figure I paid 20 bucks for it their gonna at least help me eliminate one potential problem. Then I took it to the range and "problem solved it" as was suggested. Loading it many different ways, not slamming the mag in. Having the slide back, ect... It only happens when the slide is back and I hit the release. It happened three out of five times in this position. So when I got home I repeated that position using my winchester hollowpoints and it did not happen once. So it is definately the range ammo.
shawn

Postby jdeangelis99 » Sun Aug 05, 2007 2:51 am

congrats man good luck on future shooting!!!
jdeangelis99

PreviousNext

Return to Website Help