>
Board Index Getting Started Website Help

Taking the first step...

Read about whats new and improved on the site, or make suggestions about how we can make the website better.

Postby Tralik33 » Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:44 am

My big hang up right now is trying to get my group together. The IT guy here where I work is the one interested in helping. A few years ago, he and another mutual friend started a web development company as a sideline business. The mutual friend has since gone on to become a police officer in the Kansas City area. We are trying to get him back down here for a day or two to consult with us on the best way to go about setting up the new site and what it is going to cost. Fortunately I've come into some discretionary income recently that I think will cover most of the cost.

I believe that the two of them can put the site together pretty quickly using some of the code they've used for other sites. I'm trying to get to a knowledge point where I can be of assistance, but I'm not a programmer by trade. Anyhow, I wouldn't expect any major action real quickly. I'd like to be up and running this summer with the new site, but I don't have enough knowledge to know how realistic that really is. I'm hoping to know more later this week.
Tralik33

Postby tigwelder56 » Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:11 pm

Discretionary income???? What's that? LOL! You must be doing something right >>>GRIN<<<
NRA Life Member GOA Member
NAGR Member DAV Life Member Oathkeepers Member
Help Save America, have your liberal spayed or neutered!

Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is one well armed sheep contesting the vote! --The Sheep
tigwelder56

Postby Tralik33 » Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:05 pm

It's pretty funny really. I'm an active computer gamer in what little spare time I have. Anyhow, I'm also a big Star Wars fan (geek) and I've been playing Star Wars Galaxies, an MMORPG, for the last 4 years. As it turns out, there is a rather large real world market for virtual items in that game. Having played for 4 years, I have some very good equipment in that game. I've made about $1200 in the last week selling off a few of the items for cash, and these were just items I had laying around that werent being used. If I sold my good stuff or sold my account, I could probably make about $5000 or more.
Tralik33

Postby tigwelder56 » Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:29 pm

That's interesting. What kind of virtual items are you talking about? I've been interested in some game software but haven't gotten much farther than MS Flight Simulator. It takes a fast machine and I don't have the funds needed to buy something that high tech. The sound and video cards are more expensive than some complete systems!

Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is one well armed sheep contesting the vote! --The Sheep
tigwelder56

Postby Tralik33 » Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:34 pm

Star Wars Galaxies is an online role playing game, a virtual world of sorts made in the Star Wars universe. You create a character and then can become a Jedi or Bounty Hunter, or other types of characters. The game world is persistant and goes on whether you are logged in or not. They have a few hundred thousand subscribers that play all over the world, so you log in, and meet other players who may be in another continent. Anyhow, I was a pilot by profession in that game. You can fly around and shoot at computer controlled opponents or at other players. When you kill things, occasionally they drop parts that you can use on your ship. The parts have a range of different statistics on them and the stats determine how your ship performs in combat. I had a bunch of really good parts, engines, weapons, armor, shields and things like this that had some really good stats on them. Because the stats are somewhat randomly generated, really good ones are pretty rare. I've been selling some of these parts for cash to people who aparrently have more money than they do common sense. One part I sold last week went for $758 USD alone.
Tralik33

Postby tigwelder56 » Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:27 pm

That's incredible! Selling imaginary items that are used in an imaginary world, for realistic profit!! This time in history is going to really confuse people in the distant future! Shoot, it confuses most of us now!! LOL!!

tigwelder56

Postby agonist » Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:59 pm

Tralik, more power to ya' and God bless ya' for turning that into a few bucks but I just gotta say WTF is THIS world coming to?!?!?! I've heard of stuff like that once on like the Today show or something but I didn't think I'd ever encounter an actual incidence of it. Crazy.
agonist

Previous

Return to Website Help