>
Board Index Getting Started Website Help

add gun to holster

Read about whats new and improved on the site, or make suggestions about how we can make the website better.

Postby Tralik33 » Fri Feb 27, 2009 1:50 am

Absolutely. Whether I can do them or not is another story altogether. :-)
Tralik33

Postby lotsip81 » Sat Feb 28, 2009 3:27 pm

How about being able to change the color of the text or backround color, I know some people think the white lettering on black backround are hard to read. Personally, I like the way it is, but it would be a neat feature to add.

Also what about page numbers at the bottom of each thread. Right now what we have is the "next" at the bottom, and you have to page through every one to get to the begining. I would be nice to be able to just pick the page that you wanted to go to.

I like having the newest comments at the top, however I know that alot of other forums have the original comment at the top and as you go down, they get more current. Is there a format that would let each individaul chose which way he/she would want it.

Also, I know that it has been said in other places around here, but I really would like some spellcheck. My spelling isn't the greatest, and I do try to proof read my posts before posting, but reading posts with a ton of spelling errors is a pain in the ass to read.

All in all this is a very good website and I like it alot, these are just a few thing that I think could make this site even better. If I think of some more I'll post them here. I hope anyone esle with suggestion would do the same.

Edit: I am moving this post to a thread called "Website Recomendations" peharps we should move this area fo conversation over there
"Guns don't kill people, People do!"
lotsip81

Postby FLOTUS » Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:42 am

Hey folks,

As always, I'd like to start by thanking TIG for sticking around as the site moderator. If you walked in the room, I'd be giving you a round of applause.

I just wanted to jump into this conversation again, despite sounding like a broken record. I added my two cents and opinions a few weeks ago and have been reading all your subsequent posts. The only contribution I continue to reinterate is the value of the Ning-style social networks and how fond I am of using them. They are very user-friendly and can be easily customizable per member. I wish I could suggest more options than that, but I'm not aware of all the other kinds of site options out there. TeamSarah.org is sponsored by a pro-life organization called The Susan B. Anthony List and the Republican Revolution is sponsored by Chimpsey Radio (conservative internet radio). I have recently discovered that there are MANY of these Ning types of social networking sites popping up all over the place. I get the feeling that they are easy to establish.

In the case of this Gun Directory site, perhaps it could be sponsored by a gun club or a 2nd Amendment group. The other option could be to have members pay a nominal fee to join, and all proceeds go to a bonafide webmaster who maintains and upgrades the site. Again, I don't know much about this, so I'm not really sure how that works.

As for spellcheck options, people can just compose their comments in a Word Document, then check their spelling and then cut and paste it into the comment field.

I joined this site as a means of learning as much as I can about firearms. I'm still awaiting my NJ state permit in the mail, but I just thought that in the meantime, I could learn what to purchase and what types of amo I should know about. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to really connect with anyone here because the site hasn't allowed me to add friends or carry on private conversations.
FLOTUS

Postby tigwelder56 » Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:01 am

Thank you, thank you very much..... Elvis >>>grin<<<<

The Friends function here works if that is what you're referencing. When you click on the "Add Friend" button, it adds that persons name to a list you can access in your "My Account" section. Once you log into your account, you can then access "My Friends" list and it opens a private message window to that member. It's a lot simpler to just click on the "Email" button below a members name if you want to send them a message. The "Friend" list is kind of a nice way to show a member that you value them and their contributions to the forum. Of course I value every member here, some just more than others!! LOL!! We have a great group and I'd like to see us stay together. We've got some good ideas going right now and like Flotus, I'm not up on how all this webhosting and the rest of it works. I'm very thankful that we have a few people here that are knowledgeable and motivated to do something positive.
NRA Life Member GOA Member
NAGR Member DAV Life Member Oathkeepers Member
Help Save America, have your liberal spayed or neutered!

Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is one well armed sheep contesting the vote! --The Sheep
tigwelder56

Postby Tralik33 » Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:24 pm

Hi Flotus. I've looked into the ning websites to see what they have to offer. From what I can tell, the traffic on this site would require "premium services" on the ning networks. I haven't been able to find out how much that would cost yet. I'm sure there would be some benefit to the social networking aspect of the ning sites, but one of the things that really concerned me is that the ning networks have complete control of advertising on any site you create through them. There are a few problems with this. First, you face the likelihood that we'd be seeing unrelated advertisiong regularly. Second, the purpose of advertising is to offset costs of running and maintaining the website only we would gain no benefit from the advertising as ning would be collecting the revenue generated while we still had to code and maintain the website.

I am looking at recreating the site as a hobby with the potential to make it self-sustaining by generating a small amount of revenue to pay for all the assciated costs of webhosting and development. The only way to do that is to either charge a sign-up fee, which I think is a really bad idea, or to use advertising and sponsorships. I like the latter for many reasons not the least of which is that charging a fee to become a member is counter-productive to the principle the site is based on: The free exchange of information about firearms.

There are a few more things I am looking into but because we've heard no response from AF, I'm operating under the assumption that the site will have to be recreated from scratch. I'm hoping I have some news for you all later this week.
Tralik33

Previous

Return to Website Help