>
Board Index Getting Started Website Help

System not working for you???

Read about whats new and improved on the site, or make suggestions about how we can make the website better.

Postby tigwelder56 » Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:07 pm

It's difficult to even try to understand the reason Active Fan uses to justify his complete disregard for every member on this forum. Tell us why Jeff? Why are you ignoring us and the obvious problems we're experiencing? It makes no sense at all. We are all doing our part to make this forum succeed and have been doing so for years. I'm coming up on three years as a Moderator on this forum and there hasn't been one single instance when you have thanked any one of the Moderator's for their contributions to this site. Why do you have a "Contact Us" link? You haven't responded to a single message for so long I've lost count of the days. Don't you think it's time to make an effort to help us out here? If you do nothing else, would you at least let us know that you are reading our posts? If you don't have any interest left why won't you pass the torch to someone that does?
NRA Life Member GOA Member
NAGR Member DAV Life Member Oathkeepers Member
Help Save America, have your liberal spayed or neutered!

Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is one well armed sheep contesting the vote! --The Sheep
tigwelder56

Postby FLOTUS » Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:24 am

Here is a list (although, not complete) of the quirks and site problems I've experienced since I've been here. I really do hope they are being fixed, because I am totally looking forward to networking and learning on this site.

1. I can't upload a profile photo.

2. Site is generally slow to scroll to next page or links.

3. It seems to take forever (if at all) to log in.

4. Within most of the forums, I can only view 2-3 posted comments, despite the fact that each page says at the bottom: VIEWING 1-25. When I click there, it doesn't link me to backpages of past comments

5. At the bottom of each page are invicible links that I accidentally discovered lead to other gun sites and social networks. PLEASE add the visual banners so that we can see all of them and what those links are.

6. I already mentioned in another discussion thread that the add to MY HOLSTER button isn't working.

The following are just suggestions...

1. Please consider changing the black background color that permiates this site. Reading backlit white font against black background is TOO HARD ON THE EYES. The contrast causes everything to go blurry after a while. PLEASE change it to something less severe, like a dark gray background.

OR try making the message-post font in orange and the links/usernames in white (in other words, reverse the font colors you are already using). This way, at least the messages will be in a font color that is easier to read against the black... because that's what we're really trying to read anyway.

2. Please add a field in our profiles where we can tell other members a little about ourselves.

That's all for now. Thanks for considering everything I have mentioned here.
FLOTUS

Postby tigwelder56 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:39 pm

Hi Flotus,

Trust me, you're not the first or last person that has asked for those identical changes. The profile photo has been non functional since it was recently added. It was brought to the webmasters attention and you can see how far that got us. We were recently told that we were upgrading to new, faster servers, which would increase the speed of the forum in general. We're still waiting. Logging in has been an ongoing problem. I don't have a problem with it but others can't log in at all. I don't know why. As far as the page views, every page says "VIEWING 1-25" even if there aren't that many posts on the thread. Any thread that indeed does have multiple posts requiring a second page (or more) you will see a link to the next page. The links at the bottom of each page that are nearly invisible are advertising links. In the webmaster's attempt to change things recently, he added alot of banner ads and pop ups. It was a mess around here for a week or two. He eventually pulled all of the advertisements because it was pissing everyone off. Since he pulled all of the advertising, he hasn't paid one minute of attention to the forum's operation. We're on our own and don't understand it but for now someone is keeping the lights on. Many of the website functions, like the Holster, aren't working. We're doing our best to get things back on track but I need the webmaster to acknowledge my messages and the issues at hand. So far I haven't gotten any response. We have addressed the background color on several ocassions and the membership has always requested that it stay the way it is. A white background doesn't work for those of us that hole up in dark offices all day and night! It adds too much light to our dungeon like environment... Your suggestion has been noted though and if we can get the webmaster to pay attention to us, perhaps he can tweak it for those that request it. It would be relatively easy to apply a choice of background colors and would be the best solution IMO. But we have to get his attention first!

I haven't done much to resolve any of the issues you brought to my attention but I hope just acknowledging them will help in some small way. Trust me, I'm trying to gain his help and until I do I'm very limited in my options.

Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is one well armed sheep contesting the vote! --The Sheep
tigwelder56

Postby FLOTUS » Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:21 pm

Thanks, Tig! I appreciate all your efforts and everything you're "aiming" to do around here. I don't know how you manage to keep up with all the posts, actually. Sorry that the webmaster is MIA, but at least you're keeping the lights on. Thanks for that!
FLOTUS

Postby delco » Sun Feb 01, 2009 7:42 pm

Hi, I am new to this forum, but I have been reading most of the site, gun reviews etc for some time.

There is a huge amount of info on this site, but that doesn't explain why it is so Slow. I have tried to get on at different times of the day and night. It is always slow. Lots of timeouts and loss of data.

It is as slow as if I was still on a dial up connection, and I have a good DSL connection now.

They may have very slow servers, or it could the large amount of data that is downloaded with each page.

I seem to remember from a class I took years ago on web site design that a black background has a lot more data in it than a white or light colored background.

I don't like the black background at all. It is very bad on my eyes after a short viewing time.

Thanks
delco

Postby lotsip81 » Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:47 am

Welcome to the forum. I have noticed that different times of day seem to affect how long the load time is for me. Hopefully AF will read you post and it might be helpful to him in some fashion. Once again....Welcome!!
"Guns don't kill people, People do!"
lotsip81

Postby tigwelder56 » Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:04 pm

You're right, the servers are slow, as snails. Unfortunately the webmaster is on some sort of round the world vacation and has lost contact with us. I think he's traveling by paddle boat and the rudder is stuck hard starboard and broke a leg after slipping on seagull shit prior to boarding the craft here in Florida. Until he regains contact with us, I'm afraid that we're stuck with what we've got. What a bummer dude....

The next time, (if) you make another post and it times out, all you need to do is click your "Back" button and click the "Post Reply" button again. Your original post should still be in memory and you just keep trying to submit it. Most of the time it eventually goes through. You can also copy your post to your clipboard just in case. I've learned the hard way by losing several posts and the methods I mentioned will save you a lot of anger! I do apologize for your inconvenience. I'm the only Moderator left and am trying my best with the assistance of a couple veteran members to keep things moving forward. This is a great bunch of people, that are very knowledgeable. Hopefully we'll get these maintenance issues straightened out soon. In the meantime, your patience is appreciated!

tigwelder56

Postby beltbuckle » Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:34 pm

Ditto

and thought some of what you said was worth posting again.

"The next time, (if) you make another post and it times out, all you need to do is click your "Back" button and click the "Post Reply" button again. Your original post should still be in memory and you just keep trying to submit it. Most of the time it eventually goes through."

"You can also copy your post to your clipboard just in case."

(I almost always do this anymore, lost way to many posts even with the back button method)

"I've learned the hard way by losing several posts and the methods I mentioned will save you a lot of anger!"
beltbuckle

Postby tigwelder56 » Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:37 pm

Welcome back BB! Where've you been? Tried contacting you without success. Glad to see you again! As you can see, nothing has improved...

tigwelder56

Previous

Return to Website Help