>
Board Index Getting Started Website Help

New and need suggestions.

Read about whats new and improved on the site, or make suggestions about how we can make the website better.

New and need suggestions.

Postby ChrisGA1 » Mon Apr 30, 2007 5:54 pm

Hi all. New here. Looking to buy a pistol. Looking at eather 9mm, 40, or 45. Gun will be for home defense, play shooting at the range or woods, and for self defense for snakes and other small predators out in the woods sinse im in the woods or remote areas alot sometimes alone.

Im looking to spend $300 or less and have found a few with in that price range. I know $300 is low but im poor haha.

Saw some Walther P99 in the classifieds for $249 and a smith and wesson for $296 here at this site http://www.thegunsource.com/store/item.aspx?PID=42880

Are these good first timer pistol owner? I have shot many pistols but never owned one. Im familiar with guns and gun safety. I have a .22 rifle but that isnt much for protection. Thanks for any info.
ChrisGA1

Postby CONT2 » Tue May 01, 2007 7:56 pm

You've got a world of guns that meet your criteria. I saw a used Dan Wesson .357, forget model 15, for $249.00 today. I saw a LLama Max-1 .45 for around $300.00.

You just have to look for the sales at the pawn shops. $300.00 can get you a decent used gun in any of the calibers you mentioned. I think you should save a little more dough and get a new gun . Is there a Gander Mountain near you? If so, they always have nice sales...Good luck...
CONT2

Postby agonist » Tue May 01, 2007 8:20 pm

I like CONT2 suggestion of that .357 Dan Wesson however you seem to be more interested in semi-autos. I would actually suggest buying used as long as you have a reputable dealer near you. In a used pistol I might suggest a Ruger P89 or P95. These are duty pistols and have great durability and reliability track records. They can also be had inexpensively. They may not be the prettiest out there but if you want style you may have to save a little more $$.
agonist

Postby jdeangelis99 » Fri May 04, 2007 2:23 pm

chris i agree thats plenty of money for a gun... Im not a big fan of buying used handguns. save a lil bit more and the wait will be worth it.. For shooting snakes and other small animals I think a .22 would be fine but i wouldn't use it as home defense I would stick to at least a .40..BUt beware of this the bigger the cal the more money it will be for ammo at the range
jdeangelis99

Postby CONT2 » Fri May 04, 2007 10:06 pm

I agree to a point with you jd. I've had some success with used guns. So far, so good. For a first time buyer, I'd go with a used, quality gun that's been well taken care of. Coupled with the advice from here and the salesman, Chris should do o.k.

I'd spend a few hundred on my first gun. Then go balls to the wall on a new one, once I got comfortable and a little more knowledgeable about guns. Just my opinion...
CONT2

Postby tigwelder56 » Tue May 08, 2007 1:32 am

My recommendation for a new shooter that isn't sure exactly what they might want or need should seriously consider a revolver. Considering Chris is interested in snake loads, a revolver , say a .357 mag, can easily take care of any snake problem with the 38 Special Shot Shells. A nice 4 inch new or used revolver would fit the bill nicely IMO.
NRA Life Member GOA Member
NAGR Member DAV Life Member Oathkeepers Member
Help Save America, have your liberal spayed or neutered!

Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is one well armed sheep contesting the vote! --The Sheep
tigwelder56

Postby jdeangelis99 » Tue May 08, 2007 2:08 pm

That as my first pistol!! The good thing about revolvers are they easy to keep clean!! and there easy to use
jdeangelis99

Return to Website Help