>
Board Index Miscellany Off-Topic Chatter

The site is getting crazy!

If you are not talking about firearms or weapons, do it here.

Postby Tralik33 » Sat Mar 28, 2009 9:54 am

I think the frustrations you guys as moderators have is completely understandable given the complete lack of attention this site has been given by its host. It is even more frustrating when you are not given the tools to do the job properly. I'm sure AF has had good intentions in the past and may still, but there is really no excuse for how poorly this site has been mismanaged just since I have been here. I intend to fix that, or at least provide a better alternative.

I had my initial meeting last night with the two other people that will be helping me develop the new site. Initial development for the site will probably cost about $3000 to $4000. The initial site launch should have a very similar, but improved look and feel as this site. We will likely be using a php bulletin board system linked to a sql database in a manner very similar to this site. There is a possibility that we may use a different type of forums that has recently hit the market that has some very nice features, but we will have to see if we can justify its cost. Because of the coding required and expenses involved, we will likely have some tastefully placed and relevant advertising to the side or the bottom of a page. There will be no banner ads and absolutely no popups. There will also be no viruses :-). Anyhow, the coding should take approximately a month and adding all the weapons and such to the database could take a while, I'm not really sure how long, but that can be done on the fly.

At this point, even if AF comes back and does some serious improvement to the site, I will still be developing my alternative because there are some things I really like about this site, but that I think can be improved upon to make a better experience for the user-base overall. I intend to expand the database considerably by including far more rifles and shotguns. I also intend to launch a sister site that has to do more directly with political involvement in 2nd ammendment defense. One of the partners who is helping me is also looking at making another sister site that has to do with creating a one-stop place to look for concealed carry laws for every state as well as reciprocity laws and plain-english interpretations of those laws. Anyhow, this is an ambitious project and wont happen overnight. I am going to try to get him to put up an under-construction page this week. I'll let you all know when its up.
Tralik33

Postby beltbuckle » Sun Mar 29, 2009 4:41 pm

Eloquently written tig. You've made it hard for me to pick apart your statement without making myself look like the bad guy.

Good thing I don't mind being the bad guy!

I believe the membership has a right to this kind of information. My posts are in the correct location and within the rules of conduct.

I'm also glad your unable to delete my posts. We used to be able to until ConT argued he didn't like the idea. I'm kinda glad he did now!

My posts here are within the rules and it irks me that you want to delete my so called "offending" posts when I'm within my right and in the proper section to do so.

I believe that would be considered and abuse of power, but nothing new for you.

I have to give credit where's its due however. You dedicate a lot of time to this site and I know you only want the best for it as well. You go well past your duties and try and help anyone you can. I've got to applaud your effort of trying to contact AF. I only hope your suggestions are for the best.

As far as I know this is the only website you've moderated. Please inform me whether I'm correct or not.

If you haven't moderated for other sites I ask if you know what the proper tools needed to properly moderate are, or at least some helpful tools that you may not have thought of.

I'm more than willing to brainstorm ideas with you guys!

Tralik33, I'm looking forward to your website. I was skeptical at first but it seems my skepticism might have been misguided. Looking forward to the site under construction page!
beltbuckle

Postby tigwelder56 » Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:30 pm

Thank you for your continued support!
NRA Life Member GOA Member
NAGR Member DAV Life Member Oathkeepers Member
Help Save America, have your liberal spayed or neutered!

Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is one well armed sheep contesting the vote! --The Sheep
tigwelder56

Postby Tralik33 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:30 am

As an example of things that are missing from this site: a thread where moderators can discuss privately issues associated with the site. There will always be occasions where moderators have some disagreement, but a properly run website will provide an avenue where such things can be aired outside the view of the general public with a webmaster that will have the final say on what is and is not appropriate for public viewing. You two obviously have a disagreement and I'm not inclined to get involved other than to say that AF should be here to arbitrate and there should be a place where you two can discuss the problem in a straightforward manner where it is out of the view of the public.

I am also curious what AF has indicated he has in store for the site in the future since it appears as though he has made similar promises in the past that have not been fulfilled. If he has established contact with you again Tig, can you ask him to take a few moments to stop by here and address the concerns of some of the members?
Tralik33

Postby tigwelder56 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:09 pm

Rest assured that I have made several requests for improvements, explanations and action on previously discussed topics.

Recent topics have included faster servers, a dedicated Moderator/Admin section, corrections to the Moderator list, a better method of adding new firearms to the directory and a method of editting language and individual post placement. The current method of moving threads doesn't work. There are many other requests that have been made and not acted on, I could go on forever. Unfortunately, I doubt there will be any action on the latest requests but I keep hoping that one day we'll be surprised with these improvements.

Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is one well armed sheep contesting the vote! --The Sheep
tigwelder56

Postby beltbuckle » Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:35 pm

check your mailbox
beltbuckle

Postby jdeangelis99 » Sat Apr 04, 2009 3:31 pm

Tig where did I say we fought? when i knew we as moderators fought against some crazy people on this site and have kicked many people off the site. I never fought with any of the moderators on this site.
jdeangelis99

Postby tigwelder56 » Sat Apr 04, 2009 7:07 pm

check your mailbox

tigwelder56

Postby ssrs10 » Sat Apr 04, 2009 7:14 pm

This site sure is getting crazy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ssrs10

Postby tigwelder56 » Sat Apr 04, 2009 8:22 pm

That Sir is an understatement! We still know more than most folks available though, so don't give up on us yet!! LOL! We're simply going through a "cycle"... You know how that can get!

tigwelder56

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic Chatter