>
Board Index Miscellany Off-Topic Chatter

AK Retainer Pin

If you are not talking about firearms or weapons, do it here.

AK Retainer Pin

Postby tigwelder56 » Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:22 pm

Hi Top,

If you are searching for a simple pin to prevent the piston from backing out, you probably could expand the diameter and insert a roll pin instead. I would suggest that the roll pin you select has channels milled to accept e-clips. That'll lock it in and save you the problem in the future. HTH!
NRA Life Member GOA Member
NAGR Member DAV Life Member Oathkeepers Member
Help Save America, have your liberal spayed or neutered!

Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is one well armed sheep contesting the vote! --The Sheep
tigwelder56

Postby TOPFUEL » Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:21 pm

Hello Tig and thanks:) I'll see what I can find. I didn't think about the E-clips. Thats a better idea than I had--I was gonna flare the ends:)

I'm thinking about buying a new assembly also for backup. I'll look into more this wknd.

Thanks again:)--TOP
TOPFUEL

Postby tigwelder56 » Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:56 pm

COOL! I used the same type of pin on a new trigger assembly I installed on my AR and it worked great.

Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is one well armed sheep contesting the vote! --The Sheep
tigwelder56

Postby TOPFUEL » Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:39 pm

Hey Tig:) I just ordered the whole assembly from Floridagunworks. I also have told the nut and bolt guy at work to bring me what we were talking about and you suggested, roll pin with the e-clips. I will try the clip thing just 'cause I'm like that:), and keep the new assembly for backup. Neither will be here before the wknd so I won't have an update about it. Oh well. Be alright:) I can't wait to get to the range!

Speaking of the range--they won't let ya take steel cased ammo of any sort to the fire line. I had to buy (not complaning) this yugo something or other. What do ya know about that? What I know is it was dead on and that was awesome. But, it was only 15 rds before the problem started--TOP
TOPFUEL

Postby tigwelder56 » Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:40 pm

Hey Top,

The pin and e-clip will work excellently. It's probably the most secure pin you can get. Welding, flaring and safety pins are all options but they really aren't the most user friendly choices! Not to mention, kind of impractical, ha! I like to offer options though, 8-).

As far as the Yugo ammunition goes, the word is it's one of the better surplus 7.62 rounds available. Supposed to be pretty accurate too. The one thing I see is that it's corrosive, some say mildly but still an issue. If you clean your rifle after each shoot anyway, so what, as long as you do a fair job. The only other information I have is that it's commonly found in 15 round packs in stripper clips. If there are other packages available, share your outlets for it (unless you're going to hog it all, LOL!) . I think the manufacturers in the area establish their own. It's a copper jacketed lead base core bullet in a brass case, some even come with a boat tailed bullet.-------The other thing to consider is the Silver Bear stuff. It's all basically the same but it's better than the other Russian/Commie Bloc crap. I'm referring to Wolf ammuntion. The problem with Wolf, if you're not aware, is it's built with a steel case that is sprayed with a polymer coating. That crap melts off when the rifle is hot and ends up gooing up all the works! It's the worst thing since defective condoms!! It's easy to find the negative comments on. I'd just stay away from it IMO! I take a good sized magnet with me whenever I head for a range that has problems with steel cartridges (cases) or steel core bullets. It's an easy way to determine what you've walked into!! Only reason I mention it in that manner is because many of us carry different Lots of the same stuff in ammo cans. If you're going to spend time on ranges that don't allow steel cases/bullets, it would behoove you to be aware of your ammo inventory ahead of time!

tigwelder56

Postby TOPFUEL » Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:36 pm

Hey Tig:) Well, turns out I coudn't use the e-clip set up. I admit in advance-I'm an idiot!:) I wasn't paying attention to where the bolt carrier slides into the piston tube. No room. So I went with the plain roll pin, ground the ends down and flared them. I also used locktite. It worked! 90 rds and no problem! Sweet:)

About the Yugo--I've been hearing the same. I swear it is dead on also. Well, for me anyway. I just got back from the range. Shot 90rds at about 150 yds in 15 rd blasts. All were grouped at about 2 1/2-3". I was just standing with no arm rests or anything like that. I like it:) The only thing I've found with it so far is 15 rd boxes for 7 bucks. Ck out OVOutdoors.com. (Ohio Valley.)

As far as that Wolf and all. Yea, if I'd have known about the Yugo stuff, I wouldn't have 300 rds of this Wolf, Brown Bear, and Tiger crap. Oh well. I'll find someplace to fire it off and get rid of it. Then spend a wk cleaning my gun:) Be alright.

Anywho. I'm a happy camper now:) I fixed my AK, and I have an AK!:) Thats just awesome:)

Thanks again for your help. I'll keep you updated. Probably won't be firing much for awhile. It's getting expensive and those holidays are coming up. We'll see:) Thanks again.--TOP
TOPFUEL

Postby TOPFUEL » Sat Sep 12, 2009 11:20 pm

Heres an update. I found Yugo at Natchez. Ordered 300 rds. I also bought today an Russian American Arms Saiga. Same 7.62. Yea. It is badass. Made in Russia by IZHMASH. Whatever. I just blew Cristmas gifts but it will be fine:)--TOP
TOPFUEL

Postby TOPFUEL » Sun Sep 13, 2009 6:18 pm

I know somebody can help me here. Tig? Ncc? Somebody? I want a buttstock for my Saiga. I don't like the American looking one. No problem with America of course. All I can find is the Tapco 6-position #STK07160. I like it enough but I'm sure theres more out there. I can't find them. Whats up?--TOP
TOPFUEL

Postby beltbuckle » Mon Sep 14, 2009 4:06 pm

beltbuckle

Postby TOPFUEL » Mon Sep 14, 2009 4:55 pm

Hey Belt:) I'll ck those out after supper. Thanks man:)--TOP
TOPFUEL

Return to Off-Topic Chatter