>
Board Index Miscellany Off-Topic Chatter

Oakley Boots, or any other boots for that matter

If you are not talking about firearms or weapons, do it here.

Oakley Boots, or any other boots for that matter

Postby beltbuckle » Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:27 am

Any one have any experience with Oakley boots?

I'm looking to buy a new pair of boots, and am leaning towards some combat boots and Oakley has a pair I'm interested in, as does belleville.

What say the hive mind? Who likes what? Money isn't as big of a concern as quality!

I was climbing around a water fall and up and down in a couple raveen's yesterday and my trusty hunting boots (wolverine Big horns) didn't quite fit the bill, I was slipping and sliding all over on some of them slippery rocks. (almost biffed it a couple times)

It seems to me most hunting boots anymore are meant for hiking on easy ground...

Why was I climbing around a waterfall you ask? I have a new adventurous girlfriend.... trouble in the making right!!!
beltbuckle

Postby lotsip81 » Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:00 pm

I have never owned a pair (yet), but a lot of guys in the military swear by them. Just like buying a weapon, go and check some out and try some on and see if they feel to your liking. Some other brands you might look at are Altamas and Bates. I have a pair of Bates and they are some of the most comfortable boots I have ever owned. I had wanted to try a pair of Oakleys, but they didn't have any where I was at. Hope this helps a little bit.
"Guns don't kill people, People do!"
lotsip81

Postby tigwelder56 » Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:00 pm

Those boots need to be capable of running too, ha!! :-)~ Did that adventure include Canada? LOL!
NRA Life Member GOA Member
NAGR Member DAV Life Member Oathkeepers Member
Help Save America, have your liberal spayed or neutered!

Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is one well armed sheep contesting the vote! --The Sheep
tigwelder56

Postby beltbuckle » Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:44 am

Normally I agree with going out to see how well they fit. In this case I'm going for performance over fit and probably am going to order them online

lotsip, any idea on how good the Oakleys are in conditions like I mentioned earlier? I think I'm pretty well sold on them!

Tig, LOL... Actually no, had nothing to do with Canada or a Canadian girl! Found this little gem the day I got home. At a gas station of all places, we were both filliing up and just got to talking....
beltbuckle

Postby lotsip81 » Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:57 am

Belt,

I'm not going to feed you a lie, because I don't know the answer. I looked around the web a little bit and it seems to be a love hate thing. Either the purchaser loves them and they were great or I read they wore out really fast. But you never know what some other peoples expectations are. You might want to do yourself a Google search and see what you come up with. Also due to your previous comments remember that most boots are water resistant and not water proof (or you may have to reapply a water proofing agent). You probably don't want a true "waterproof" anyways due to they don't normally breathe as well. Also keep in mind (as i'm sure you know) foot placement is just as important to not slipping as the sole of the boot is. Sorry I don't have more of an exact answer for you, but if you do decide to them please let me know how they work out for you. I might just end u getting myself a pair, Also good luck with the new "gem"!!!!!
"Guns don't kill people, People do!"
lotsip81

Postby beltbuckle » Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:00 pm

I've read up on a bunch of reviews. Seems to me that some of the most common complaints are tread life and issues with the insoles. I suspect most of these concerns are from guys wearing them day in and out.

The tread life issue actually sounds like a positive for my use, at least, it gives me the thought of a gummy sole that should stick.

Since I wont be wearing them every day I will probably get more than a year from them. Seems most of even the negative reveiws seem to say they last 6mo's.

I can go either way with the waterproofing.... It's nice sometimes, but I usually end up with damp feet anyway just because they tend not to breathe. If I need water proof, I still have my hunting boots!

I think I'm going to get them. If nothing else maybe I can give a reveiw about my love or hate for them... + Oakley has government pricing so I'll just order them thru work.
beltbuckle

Postby beltbuckle » Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:09 am

I ordered them yesterday, they shipped out yesterday as well. They're coming from Cali so I imagine it will still be a couple days since I was too cheap to pay for overnight service.

Direct from Oakley they offer free ground shipping.
beltbuckle

Postby beltbuckle » Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:38 am

Well, I've had them for a week now. So far so good! The construction seems top notch, they're comfortable right out of the box, and they look pretty sweet.

Wearing them is like wearing a tennis shoe with ankle support. They really dont even feel like a boot when your wearing them but have all the advantages.

Traction is good, wet surfaces havent been an issue.

when they're wet they dont squeak on tile or other hard floors. (at least yet)

The only downfall I see is they run a 1/2- full size larger than they should.

As of today I give them 5 stars, If I can remember I'll give it another review in 6 months
beltbuckle

Postby beltbuckle » Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:28 am

Im just about to the 2 month mark now and I gotta tell you; I love these boots. My initial intention was to use them as a general outdoor boot only wearing them maybe once a week however they've quickly become a favorite and I seem to be wearing them most every day.

Even though they are not rated water proof they do remarkably well in wet weather and mud puddles. My feet have only got wet once and thats while I was preassure washing the mud off them while wearing them. even then, it was only my right foot that got a quick blast of cold water.
beltbuckle

Postby bobwhite » Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:25 am

SOUNDS LIKE A GOOD BOOT HOWEVER I HAVE BEEN WEARING DANNER BOOTS FOR THE LAST TEN YEARS THERE SIMPLY THE BEST BOOTS ON THE PLANET
bobwhite

Next

Return to Off-Topic Chatter