>
Board Index Miscellany Off-Topic Chatter

self defense against dogs

If you are not talking about firearms or weapons, do it here.

self defense against dogs

Postby BrooklynBoy » Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:21 pm

Looking for some advice. I usually walk the park's nature trail in the evening and at times their are people on the trail with very aggressive dogs. 99% of the time it's a teen walking one or several pitbulls. I usually wear basketball shorts and have an ipod and i am trying to decide for precautionary reasons should i carry my .380 or my compact 9, how to conceal it, at if i use my .380, what load should I use. Thanks
BrooklynBoy

Postby beltbuckle » Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:44 pm

I'm aware there was conflict over this topic earlier, but it is now in the proper area of the forum to be discussed. All opinions are welcome but lets keep it friendly.

Let me preface my opinions by saying I'm sure no one wants to go around shooting dogs but its a fact that there are times it may need to happen.

I understand there's allot of people very compassionate about their pets and animals in general and that's fine but please don't be ignorant of other view points....

Myself, I'm certainly not going to allow a dog to attack me and its life isn't worth me getting bit even once. It's an animal and should be treated as such.

As far as taking one down, shot placement is critical. Even the legendary .45 isn't going to do a damn thing if it doesn't hit a critical place on a charging animal such as in the head or spine. You need immediate incapacitation for a circumstance like this, a non fatal or shot that fails to incapacitate will not stop a charging animal. IMO, 380 with nearly any round would be sufficient to defend against most k-9's if the guy behind it does his job...

There's a # of products on the market for carrying while wearing athletic clothing. A quick google search should give you plenty of options!
beltbuckle

Postby BrooklynBoy » Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:12 pm

thank you beltbuckle. I did some research and against most K-9's pepper spray or a taser would work. My concern are Pitbulls and Rotts, and these may or may not work. I am not a big proponent on the roll into a ball until the attach is off. I don't ever want to be bit again.
BrooklynBoy

Postby GOANRA » Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:25 pm

I've used both these brands of OC while On-Duty on Drunks and Dogs both. Very, very effective!! Dept issued.

http://www.guardpd.com/civilian-product ... nal-units/

http://www.foxlabs.net/Aerosols.html

'Guardian' is a military contractor and 'Fox Labs' is a major LE supplier.

Shooting a dog you 'thought was going to bite you', [or that hasn't bit you, or is eating your poodle [property], will just put you in some very deep legal mess, especially if in the City limits.

[goodbye CCW]

Most unruly dogs will charge up to you and stop within a few inches... but don't actually bite. Still SCARY!

If you shoot a dog and don't have wounds to show, you lose.

I'd strongly suggest getting the leather beltclip holster for the 2 oz canister in the Fox Labs variety [5.3 million SHUs]. About $22. + holster.

Either brand will stop dogs or unarmed thugs instantly.

Doesn't matter if their eyes are open, at all [many believe that].

Check local laws. Also, if you ever have to use the OC, order a new one and toss the old one when it comes.
NRA Lifer
GOA member
Retired LEO
Μολὼν λαβέ
If gun laws worked; criminals would obey them.
Join the NRA here: http://home.nra.org/#/nraorg
GOANRA

Postby BrooklynBoy » Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:58 pm

goanra- thanks alot. I am going to go online and order some. I saw a product that shoots pepper spray in a trianguliar field and has bright LED lights and noise. Do you know anything about this product?
BrooklynBoy

Postby neverenough » Sat Jul 17, 2010 6:48 pm

I'm in agreement with goanra on this....Additionally, a K-9 salivating with you in his sights...in a public park...means a pretty fair chance of hitting the dogs owner or bystanders in a shootout.

One of the products goanra has directed you to check out, would not only solve the problem, but the K-9's life would not be ended.

That being said, seems to me any K-9 that is "prone" to attack a person on a nature trail, has an owner who is out of control of his pup....Not much different than being out of control of ones vehicle.

neverenough
....If you happen to find dog poop on your boot, DO NOT kick the dog....think it through for a moment.....
neverenough

Postby GOANRA » Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:50 pm

BrooklynBoy, I saw something like that, but never tried anything but the 2 brands I listed below. They were both law-enforcement issued.

I wouldn't even think of trying anything else, now that I know what really works.
NRA Lifer
GOA member
Retired LEO
Μολὼν λαβέ
If gun laws worked; criminals would obey them.
Join the NRA here: http://home.nra.org/#/nraorg
GOANRA

Postby tigwelder56 » Fri Jul 23, 2010 5:39 pm

goanra, I've been looking at the Fox and Guardian websites and want to pick your brain. I notice that Fox claims to have the strongest OC product available at 5 million SHU, as well as some less potent forumlations. When comparing them to Guardian, I've been met with a bit of confusion regarding product strength. According to Guardian the strongest product they offer is 2 million SHU. They claim it to be the strongest available and is the one used by LE and the Military. They offer all the "blah, blah, blah" stuff but fail to mention the possibility of obtaining anything stronger than the 2 mil stuff. Can you comment on the differences between the two and why such a huge difference in percentages of OC? Thanks buddy!
NRA Life Member GOA Member
NAGR Member DAV Life Member Oathkeepers Member
Help Save America, have your liberal spayed or neutered!

Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is one well armed sheep contesting the vote! --The Sheep
tigwelder56

Postby nicoledc109 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:56 pm

Hi!

I've just visited this forum. Happy to get acquainted with you. Thanks!

Watch Dinner For Schmucks Online Free
nicoledc109

Postby neverenough » Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:33 am

nicoledc109....Welcome....As you probably noticed, any info you may want on weapons can pretty much be found here. Lots of people in the know, eager to share knowledge.....

neverenough
....If you happen to find dog poop on your boot, DO NOT kick the dog....think it through for a moment.....
neverenough

Next

Return to Off-Topic Chatter