>
Board Index Miscellany Off-Topic Chatter

Elephant Ivory Grips Yes or No

If you are not talking about firearms or weapons, do it here.

Elephant Ivory Grips Yes or No

Postby whitehood » Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:46 pm

If the jumbo are not hunted they will disappear in Africa. Essentially the game has to pay its way. Elephant ( jumbo ) in the vernacular are highly destructive and wander an awfully long way. When Greenpeace bought out the Kenyan government the Kenyans machine gunned everything they could find outside of the parks. If you're a farmer the last thing you want to see is a jumbo munching on your crops. You're either going to eat or feed the elephant. Most elephant hunting is hard work. To even get something over 50 lbs a side is quite a feat and very expensive to boot. Unlike in past years most elephant hunting is up close and personal. You're using very heavy caliber rifles, by far the most common I've seen are 458 Lott or better and you're walking a long way. Jumbo humps for trophy are 10 to 20 miles a day and there's a good chance you won't be in camp for a day if not three. You really earn this trophy. I've never ever seen a novice hunting elephant either. Almost everyone has taken cats and at least a few cape buffalo which is good training. The head shot if preferred because if you do a body shot you're in for one hell of hump. Unlike other mammals their lungs don't collapse and they can survive a lung shot. Once the kill is made everyone benefits. Nothing goes to waste. The meat is all taken. If the hyenas don't get it, they'll bury the bones and use them for fertilizer later. If the animal is taken on tribal land the tribe gets the majority of the trophy fee and for them is significant and represents a good reason to keep the herds safe. If not the tribes will want them all dead. Food for thought.
whitehood

Postby TEXVETNAM67-68 » Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:47 pm

Thanks, whitehood,

I wil admit to a very limited knowledge of the actual situation on the ground in Africa. Glad I started this thread.

Expounding on a subject without a good background in that subject is as dangerous as the the wackos here in the states who rile against hunting and gun posession.

It is said that there are more whitetail now than ever before which can be attributed to hunting, fees, taxes,etc, none of which comes from the wackos who contribute nothing to the actual benifit of the animals; as they do their chest pounding rhetoric laden conventions.

I stand corrected on actual information and not on the teary eyed BS, on NPR and the Washington Post.

Besides that, it makes me feel a lot better about my Ivory grips. $360.00 well spent!

I am deleting the first comments and accept your comments as a thread starter. Good to learn something every day.
TEXVETNAM67-68

Postby whitehood » Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:54 am

The actual decline in elephant numbers is directly attributable to the policies of liberal organizations like Greenpeace and the International Fund for Animal Welfare. Kenya closed hunting in 1977 despite increasing animal numbers and a fully booked season. Combined with the overall corrupt goverments the animal population plummeted. It's convential wisdom that a number of anti-hunting organizations paid off the Kenyan government to do exactly this and are still paying off. Once hunting was banned in Kenya, soldiers slaughtered all elephants not in the parks and made a one time fortune selling the ivory. The rest of the game followed in the commercial meat market. Where hunting is legal there is always a rebound in animal numbers and especially in elephant. They reproduce at about a 5% rate per annum but hunting permits are at 1%. Along with PAC animals a country will cull another 1% to 2% wanting to take out the old, sick and tuskless males which are meaner than your mother in law. All in all a trophy hunt in a particular country will leave anywhere from 20 to 50K per hunt in the local economy and the PAC/cull hunts from 10 to 20K. If you look at Zimbabwe where about 500 permits for trophy are issued this represents quite a bit of loot, especially since the tribal areas keep typically about half if not more of the trophy fees. Essentially where animals pay for themselves they thrive. It's hunting that keeps the herds healthy not the liberal do gooders who know absolutely nothing about anything except their so called inner self.
whitehood

Postby TEXVETNAM67-68 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:48 pm

I got my Ivory grips in today from the Colt grip maker. He made a beautiful pair of checkered Fleur-de-Lei pattern elephant ivory grips with silver medallions for my engraved 1903 .32 auto.

It really sets the gun apart like nothing else I could have done to enhance the thing. WOW what a beautiful piece of workmanship. Worth every penny of the $360.00
TEXVETNAM67-68

Postby BrianB » Sat Aug 14, 2010 7:03 am

Sounds little cool Tex, congrats. Maybe you could post some pictures.
BrianB

Postby TEXVETNAM67-68 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:58 pm

Hey BrialB,

Take a look at pic #5 & 6 on the Colt 1903 page. Pic #6 has been blown up by Gundirectory's system but still gives a good look at the pattern.

The grips in pic #5 have the Fluer-de-les layout which is a little hard to see until you look closely. The grips are made by the only guy who makes Colt's Ivory grips. When Mike is gone so goes 150 years of Colt heritage. If anyone would like to get a set of authentic grips, Mike makes Ivory and wood grips only for Colt auto Pistols, and I would get you in touch with him while that part of history is still with us. I don't think he is making the ivory Fluer-de-les pattern anymore due to the pain in his fingers in the layout and checkering. Money talks but he is not in it for the money anymore, so good luck.

If you want to check out Mike's site, Here it is.

http://home.comcast.net/~mgpsrjr/index.html#TOP
TEXVETNAM67-68

Postby BrianB » Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:06 am

Those are indeed very nice TexVet, congrats again. The whole gun is very nice.
BrianB

Postby TEXVETNAM67-68 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:37 am

I see a newcomer (in difference to Colt's 150 year history) is now supplying Colt's custom shop with grips.

They are secondary grip makers for Colt, and not part of the old Colt establishment. They look like a good company and able to supply anything anybody wants. I will never need another set of elephant ivory grips, so I won't have to look at them and think about the in-house Colt masters of yesteryear! I know mine were made with Colt templets and with the acutal Colt jigs and tools.

Check out these guys, they are a little cheaper (but not much) and the grips in their websight look great

Look up " Elen Hunting & Importing Inc. " at

http://www.elenhunting.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=SFNT&Store_Code=EHOS
TEXVETNAM67-68

Return to Off-Topic Chatter