>
Board Index Miscellany Local Activity

Visit to Nevada

Discuss local gatherings, range days, clubs, gun shows, and other social get-togethers

Visit to Nevada

Postby 6.5NJS » Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:54 pm

Hello Gentlemen,

A friend and myself are making our first visit to the U.S. next week to see the Shot Show in Vagas. I was hopeing that some local shooters could give us some pointers for things for us to visit (shops, ranges with gun hire etc.)

I shoot rifle (longrange field/vermin,deer stalking) , practical pistol (around europe as no pistols allowed in the U.K.) as well as rough and driven game with shotgun and as a job I manage the gun side of a sporting shop. John is a semi-pro game keeper/shooter and deer stalker as well as shooting longrange rifle and ex serious clay shot.

We have 5 days spare around the show and dont mind traveling so any ideas would be a help.
6.5NJS

Postby gdjck86 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:34 pm

Ive lived in LV for 2.5 years and have found some good spots to shot. For indoor pistol ranges Discount Firearms(near the Trump and all the strip clubs). They have extremely low prices and a very nice indoor range. Clark County has also just completed the largest outdoor shooting park in North America, located north of the strip, and it accomodates everything from shotgun to .50 cal. That is the only outdoor facility other than driving out the the middle of the desert, and there are numerous other gun stores with ranges. I work at the Palazzo/Venetian where the SHOT show is taking place but cant get in because I'm not in the industry, would love to go though. Let me know if you need any additional information.
gdjck86

Postby 6.5NJS » Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:47 pm

Thanks for the info. I have looked at some of the ranges on the web ,not sure what the indoor places are like to shoot rifles etc. on, it seems odd to shoot some of the kit they have at those kind of distances. Outdoors and upto 50 sound good, is it a commercial range we can book on too? Ultimate long range accuracy is or thing but a blast with a machine gun sounds fun. Have you been to Cabelas in Greendale is it worth avisit?
6.5NJS

Postby gdjck86 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:10 pm

the indoor ranges arent really recommended for rifles, pretty much just wanna stick to pistols, the Clark County Range (http://www.accessclarkcounty.com/depts/ ... _Park.aspx) would be the best place for long distance shooting and its very reasonable for entry. I have not been to the cabelas so I cant comment on that, but the Bass Pro Shop has a large selection of rifles and shotguns and a good selection of full size pistols but it is on the pricier side.
gdjck86

Postby tigwelder56 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:03 am

I'm not sure why you haven't mentioned Front Sight since you live in Nevada! This is a shooters paradise! They also offer you with a free handgun for signing up for one of their courses. Hard to beat that! It's not cheap but if you bring a friend or two, it's pretty damn reasonable! Check out the website, I think you'll be interested.

http://www.frontsight.com/
NRA Life Member GOA Member
NAGR Member DAV Life Member Oathkeepers Member
Help Save America, have your liberal spayed or neutered!

Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is one well armed sheep contesting the vote! --The Sheep
tigwelder56

Postby gdjck86 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:30 am

tig your very correct, prob havent mentioned it cause I havent had a chance to go yet, but I've heard nothing but good things and look forward to it one day(especially being relatively new to firearms). On an interesting side note, we just checked in one of the Execs from Mossberg, really nice guy. I really need to find a way into the SHOT show ;)
gdjck86

Postby tigwelder56 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:43 am

Hey, if we all come up with some extra cash, we could set up a group rate and really save some money! I wish we could swing something like that. How fun would that be? Talk about a perfect shooters vacation, wow! All of that personalized training and a free Springfield XD. That's my kinda fun!!

Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is one well armed sheep contesting the vote! --The Sheep
tigwelder56

Postby 6.5NJS » Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:29 pm

Hi Gents.

visited the shot show but due to problems before leaving plans were badly cut back. The show was amazing,huge, welcoming and very depressing for us, the amount of kit you can get and the prices are just unbelievable to us. Almost makes me think of packing it all up overhere and joining you. Anyone else thinking of a visit stay away from some of the commercial ranges in the city they are a con and legal mugging (will not namethe company). Met some great people and had a great time. Visit the show if you can it was worth the trip. 6000 miles to a desert and it rained
6.5NJS

Postby tigwelder56 » Sat Jan 30, 2010 4:54 pm

Thanks for the update! Too bad about getting took at those gun ranges. They can really stick it you in those places. You need to pack your bags and move on over! I can't imagine living there with all those restrictions.

tigwelder56

Postby gdjck86 » Sat Jan 30, 2010 8:54 pm

I had a great time at the show, amazing to see how large it is and how many products are coming out. It does suck that you had a bad experience at the range you visited. There are some very good ones and clearly some very bad ones.
gdjck86

Next

Return to Local Activity