>
Board Index Miscellany Legal & Political

Obtaining an FFL

Get informed and debate about civil rights and legal issues such as concealed carry, self-defense, and gun control.

Obtaining an FFL

Postby TheBonecrusher » Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:36 am

Good morning guys. It has bee a while since I visited here. I hope the site is a little faster and more are using. I noticed a few new names and quite a few new posts.

My question is about obtaining a federal Firearms License. I buy a few guns now and then. I have bought a few online too. The problem with the online guns is that I have to have them shipped to an FFL dealer/Pawn shop that is 60 miles from my house. I have coworkers who have done the same with online guns. I am wondering if it would be profitable to obtain an FFL and do these transactions closer to home for myself and for others in my area that need same. I know I can advertise on such sites as a provider for the service and plan to do so.

Has anyone here done this or does anyone know of a close friend or dealer with an FFL thatdoes same. Is it worth it and should I persue? BTW, Form are on the way and should be here today (01/15/10).

Thanks in advance for all help/flames/advice !
TheBonecrusher

Postby tigwelder56 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:59 pm

The friends I have that had their FFL both let them expire. They complained about the cost, the constant document requirements, you open your home up to random searches by the BATFE and local law enforcement to make sure you're following all their rules and regulations. They can and will take it away for the smallest infraction and fine the shit out of you for making that error. If you're going to make a business out of it it may be worth your while. But to use it simply for convenience, I think you're taking on quite a responsibility that you may not like in the near future.
NRA Life Member GOA Member
NAGR Member DAV Life Member Oathkeepers Member
Help Save America, have your liberal spayed or neutered!

Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is one well armed sheep contesting the vote! --The Sheep
tigwelder56

Postby TheBonecrusher » Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:30 pm

Thanks, this is the type of responses I'm looking for. Pros and cons alike. It's always more comforting to here from someone who has been there or seen others who have done that. Thanks again. I'll be weighing the responsibility / convenience.
TheBonecrusher

Postby tigwelder56 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:43 pm

One thing I didn't mention is your requirement to maintain records of all the firearms you have served as the FFL for. What they do with the gun after you sell or transfer to them, isn't your responsibility but you're required to keep records for a given number of years for BATFE inspection. That's only "IF" they want to see them. The pain in the ass is that you may not hear anything from them for years, but when they show up years later, you better have all those records available for their immediate review. So you've got to be sure to maintain all of that information for those instances. They're currently arguing back and forth about the requirements for and legal use of computerized files. This is a hell of a time for all FFL holders. It seems like big brother is more than ready to make things more difficult, and they are. This current administration is bound and determined to make your 2A rights go away and they're going to go out of their way to make life difficult for those law abiding citizens that want to move forward with this type of licensing.

Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is one well armed sheep contesting the vote! --The Sheep
tigwelder56

Postby lotsip81 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:40 pm

I couldn't find it in any documentation to back this, but I know that one of my friend who has a FFL was telling me that any weapons you buy as "personal" you are not even allowed to sell for at least 2 years. At the time, he told me the reason for it, but for the life of me I can't remember what it was
"Guns don't kill people, People do!"
lotsip81

Postby tigwelder56 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 6:47 pm

It's probably true. Just another one of their obscure regulations that someone might easily forget and when the gun nazi's knock on your door, they got ya... Lose your license, fine the shit out of you and probably have some rule that allows them to confiscate all your firearms! I don't put anything past them...

tigwelder56

Postby TheBonecrusher » Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:07 pm

Well thanks guys. My wife has since talked me completely out of it. Her reasoning is that if people KNOW we or I deal in FFL tranactions, then we surely have firearms in the house. Having a FFL and advertising such just tells all the idiots out there that this may be a good place to rob. I know it may sound far fetched and crazy, but with what ya'll have relayed and with her concerns, I have decided against it.

I guess paying a little extra makes sense in the long run. Thanks again for all the input.

Gerald
TheBonecrusher

Return to Legal & Political