>
Board Index Serious Shooters Concealed Carry

Carry Condition Preference Survey

For those legally permitted to carry a weapon or wanting to obtain their concealed pistol license.

Postby NORMSHERMAN » Sun May 02, 2010 9:09 am

HAD TAKEN ME A WHILE TO GET COMFY WITH EVEN IN COND. 2 AND HAVING A RUGER P90 WITH DECOCKER. IN REALITY, THIS IS SAFER THAN NEEDING YOUR GUN AND THEN HAVING TO RACK THE SLIDE. IN LIFE OR DEATH [BG] SITUATION A LOT CAN GO DOWN IN THE TIME NEEDE TO RACK. YOU DO NOT HAVE TO GO TO THE RANGE ALL THE TIME TO STAY FRIENDS WITH YOUR GUN. I HAVE HAD CANCER THE LAST 3 YRS SO I HAVE BEEN HOME A LOT SO I DRY FIRE WITH SNAPS. PRACTICING DRAW AND SIGHTING. YOU HAVE TO HAVE A GUN YOU REALLY LOVE TO HOLD, TO FEEL COMFY, AND DEFITINELY A GOOD HOLSTER. I BEEN LOOKING MYSELF FOR ANOTHER HOLSTER AND SAW THAT THE G CODE COMFORT CARRY LOOKED AND SOUNDED LIKED ONE THAT WOULD TAKE OFF SOME OF THE WEIGHT OF MY RUGER AT 34OZ. THIS GUN IS ALL I HAVE EVER CC AND WITH A GOOD GUN BELT I FORGET I EVEN HAVE THIS ONE ON.
NORMSHERMAN

Postby GOANRA » Sun May 02, 2010 2:21 pm

Dang Norm, 34 ounces !!??!! That's a decent weapon before loading it. LOL

I must be getting old. I just went to the new CA 'on duty' rev, 38spl, 5 shot, aluminum frame, +P rated, shrouded hammer, at 12 oz.

It seems perfect for the summer months.

You're absolutely right about handling the bejeebers out of your CC sidearm, whatever it is. The BGs usually come out of nowhere, ask you for a light or something to 'feel-you-out', before showing their weapon. Some step out from a parked van, wall, corner, etc., with a blade in hand.

Then what?

I was taught to run away [distance from blade] while drawing sidearm.

Fat chance I'd be thinking about various safties, racking slides, etc.

Some sidearms require a better/special holster, but the thing better be 'ready-to-go' when I draw it.
NRA Lifer
GOA member
Retired LEO
Μολὼν λαβέ
If gun laws worked; criminals would obey them.
Join the NRA here: http://home.nra.org/#/nraorg
GOANRA

Postby 1ofEA » Sun May 02, 2010 3:22 pm

Continuing from my original post in this thread: I carry Con3 because I tend to rotate through CC guns depending on the weather, clothing, occasion, etc. So if I only carry Con3 the only thing I need to think about is racking the slide. I don't need to worry about 'what am I carrying today', 'where's the safety', etc.

I never intended to carry cowboy and outdraw somebody. You can never anticipate every situation, but you need to know: is there more than one perp, where's my family, what's beyond my target, etc. I believe if I stay aware of my surroundings I can assess, draw, rack, shoot & move to address the situation. Sometimes it's better not to draw. If it's over money or property and I don't think I can keep my family or bystanders safe, I'll keep it holstered.
1ofEA

Postby GOANRA » Mon May 03, 2010 3:52 pm

1ofea, Unless you live in TX, you can not legally draw your weapon for any property offense. If someone is unarmed and is stealing your vehicle, call 911 & your insurance company.

If a pitbull attacks your dog while out walking, you cannot draw your sidearm to protect your dog [legally, dogs are property].

If you come home and a couple guys are leaving your house, with your big screen TV, call 911 & your insurance company.

If a giant, unarmed mugger says, "give me your wallet", you cannot draw your sidearm.

If you draw your sidearm 'just to scare someone away', that is an illegal assault.

If a couple of bad guys decide you looked at them wrong in a parking lot and proceed, unarmed, to give you a butt-whoopin' ...you can not draw your sidearm.

[the same goes for LEOs, but they always carry 'intermediate' weapons, like Pepper Spray, Batons, Tasers, etc.]

You may only draw your weapon when you truly "believe your life or someone else's is in immenent, immediate danger or are certain of serious bodily injury" [serious bodily injury means a weapon is being used against you].

When your sidearm is in your hand, in public view, you are guilty of 'Brandishing', a misdemeaor crime and the main cause of people losing their CC permits.
NRA Lifer
GOA member
Retired LEO
Μολὼν λαβέ
GOANRA

Postby 1ofEA » Mon May 03, 2010 6:34 pm

goanra, thanks for your response. I'm not sure how we got on the subject of brandishing and such? Some of what you say is true but things might be different here in PA. Being outnumbered or accosted by a substantially larger perp falls within imminent danger and lethal force could be justified. We also have a castle doctrine for home protection and we can carry open without a license.
1ofEA

Postby whitehood » Mon May 03, 2010 10:20 pm

The proper response should be is " I was in fear or my life and I really want to talk to a lawyer before I say anything else is what should be said.
whitehood

Postby tigwelder56 » Mon May 03, 2010 10:45 pm

I completely agree with your recommendation WH.
NRA Life Member GOA Member
NAGR Member DAV Life Member Oathkeepers Member
Help Save America, have your liberal spayed or neutered!

Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is one well armed sheep contesting the vote! --The Sheep
tigwelder56

Postby 1ofEA » Tue May 04, 2010 7:55 am

Some say you should add, 'I'm traumatized and want medical attention.'

This is all getting a bit off thread. Anyone want to start a "The Aftermath of a Shooting" thread?
1ofEA

Postby GOANRA » Tue May 04, 2010 2:20 pm

Whitehood summed it up well enough.

I've been the first to arrive at a 'seemingly' justified shooting scene several times.

In every case, it was all I could do to get the person to just 'shut up' [their adreneline is pumping] & to put the flippin' gun down once I got there [the LEO doesn't know who's who].

People think they have to explain their actions to LEOs [witnesses & background checks will pretty much tell the story].

Everyone should know who they are going to call & that person needs to know the difference between a large [influential] law firm and a storefront lawyer. Even for non-firearm business. Stuff happens.
NRA Lifer
GOA member
Retired LEO
Μολὼν λαβέ
GOANRA

Postby whitehood » Tue May 04, 2010 6:44 pm

Yep and expect a lawsuit from any surviving relatives of any scumbag you take off the board.
whitehood

PreviousNext

Return to Concealed Carry