>
Board Index Serious Shooters Concealed Carry

Open carry in Texas ???

For those legally permitted to carry a weapon or wanting to obtain their concealed pistol license.

Open carry in Texas ???

Postby Neverpanic1 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:44 am

Will Texas ever allow open carry ?
Neverpanic1

Postby BrianB » Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:28 pm

I wish it would, it just does not seem right to me that carrying is not allowed how ever you want in the US, much less Texas what with that whole right to bear arms and all. Though that right now seems like more of a rumor.

I don't know that I would want to though personally even if it was allowed as I think it better not to show it. I always picture how easy it would be for some criminal to sneak up behind you, knock you over the head, and steal your gun. You can't watch your back all the time.
BrianB

Postby JustBen » Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:32 pm

I used to work for Jim Mattox in the 80's when he was attorney general in Austin. There were plenty of guns around, especially in desk drawers in the Supreme Court building we worked from. Texas politics is only second to Chicago for being unique. You probably know what I mean if you are from Texas. It is anyones guess what they will do.

Ohio has open carry but no one does it. basically someone will make the "man with a gun" call and after you have been muzzled, takled, and disarmed, they will figure out you were doing it legally. Not worth the hassle.
JustBen

Postby GOANRA » Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:39 pm

Brian, open carry is actually a very good right to have.

We had a problem in one of our cities where they wanted to abolish open carry.

It would have meant that folks could not go to a public range without a CC permit. It was defeated.

Beware those tricky, anti-gun devils.

I believe in 'Constitutional Carry', too.
NRA Lifer
GOA member
Retired LEO
Μολὼν λαβέ
If gun laws worked; criminals would obey them.
Join the NRA here: http://home.nra.org/#/nraorg
GOANRA

Postby BrianB » Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:46 pm

Not sure if you read my post wrong Goanra but I totally agree, I think it should be a right. I was just saying I don't know that I would want to open carry even if it was allowed because you never know who is standing behind you. I am always paranoid about valuables though, I figure never to make anything I got too shiney or someone else may want it. For instance, I once though about buying a new truck but then I would be scared it would be stolen since I don't even have a garage so figured if I bought one it would be an older beat up one. Know what I mean? Don't let the bad guys see what you got is what I am saying but at the same time I believe open carry, or however you want to carry, should be up to the individual, not the government.
BrianB

Postby Neverpanic1 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:12 pm

I really hope they'll allow it, but like you say, leave it to the individual...open or concealed.
Neverpanic1

Postby JustBen » Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:29 am

Good points all. Having the right is the key. It is a must have.
JustBen

Postby GOANRA » Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:16 pm

BrianB,

I understood you well. I don't like my sidearm to show either. Concealed is a huge advantage... and MY choice.

Our 2nd Amend states, "Keep and Bear Arms". In 18th century English, that means "Posess and Display".

This 'right' is also, "endowed by our Creator", not anyone's government. [ain't a Drivers License].

"Allowing" us a Constitutional-Right is not a government 'option'.

Our 3 branches of government really need to stay out of "OUR" Constitution. Most of our Congress needs to read it and perhaps look up the word "unalienable".

oops, I'm rantin'.
NRA Lifer
GOA member
Retired LEO
Μολὼν λαβέ
If gun laws worked; criminals would obey them.
Join the NRA here: http://home.nra.org/#/nraorg
GOANRA

Postby Neverpanic1 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:41 pm

Hell yea....you got my vote !
Neverpanic1

Postby BrianB » Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:46 pm

Ah, just one of those internet things I guess, sometimes its hard to know how to read something.

"Posess and Display" - interesting. I could just imagine doing that now a days, walk down the street with a pistol on your side, or even a rifle over your shoulder (which from what I understand is actually legal though never tried it) most any of us would be taken down in a heart beat I think.

If I understand correctly Goanra, you are a retired LEO, if so perhaps you could elaborate what you believe would happen if a person were to do something such as that.
BrianB

Next

Return to Concealed Carry