>
Board Index Serious Shooters Hunting

groundhawg count!

Share stories of all things hunting: Deer, Fowl, Turkey, Big Game, or discuss recipes, sporting dogs, or bow hunting.

groundhawg count!

Postby beltbuckle » Thu Jun 14, 2007 10:59 pm

Think I'm going to keep a tally of the groundhawgs I've shoot this year.

So far

3 with the .22lr

11 with the .223 frangibles

1 .223 ball

1 .300 win mag

1 40S&W hollow point

total to date 17 ground hawgs in a month and a half

Lets see who can get the most!!!
beltbuckle

Postby tigwelder56 » Thu Jun 14, 2007 11:20 pm

I can only imagine what they looked like when they got hit by those .223 frangibles! Must've looked more like a vaporization than a bullet wound.

)))))))SPLAT(((((((((
NRA Life Member GOA Member
NAGR Member DAV Life Member Oathkeepers Member
Help Save America, have your liberal spayed or neutered!

Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is one well armed sheep contesting the vote! --The Sheep
tigwelder56

Postby beltbuckle » Fri Jun 15, 2007 12:01 am

Wish I could take a picture and post it on here. I go for head shots, and I'm very good at getting them! It's interesting, the frangibles blow the whole head and neck apart except leave some of the hide in tact. Sometimes you can see the whole groundhawgs face untill you flip him over the other way and there is nothing left!!!

And a couple that were'nt standing when I shot them just on the ground with a straight shot thru them, I can only find splatter and some miscellaneous flesh laying around!

These frangibles have a much more dramatic effect for a wound channel than the .300 win mag!

I love my AR (when it works right, but since the ammo change and a new mag I've had 0 flaws) Even mounted up my 3.5x9 leopold back on it. Sighted that in last night.
beltbuckle

Postby tigwelder56 » Fri Jun 15, 2007 12:08 am

I had a feeling that your problems were from that rotten ass Wolf ammo. That crap shouldn't even be allowed for use in a semi auto. It sounds like you're dialed back in. As soon as you mentioned the problems you were having and then said you were shooting that stuff, I knew what was wrong. It'll take a while for you to get it all out of there. Once that shellac shit melts, it flows into every crack and crevice. But it sounds like you're on top of it if you're not having the constant failures you were experiencing.

Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is one well armed sheep contesting the vote! --The Sheep
tigwelder56

Postby beltbuckle » Fri Jun 15, 2007 12:24 am

I keep it pretty clean. If I'm target shooting or puting a bunch of rounds thru it I'll clean it every time. With this groundhawg shooting I'm only cleaning it every couple days though.

I was comparing that cheap ass wolf ammo to pmc, american eagle, winchester, and some hornady ammo I have between each other. The wolf and pmc actually have a longer case than the others! Makes me wonder............. I'll have to get out a micrometer of somthing and run some tests lmao

Where do you get that ? salt lake ammo? Dont remember what company you mentioned off hand. I'd like to ge ahold of some of that for target practice!

But for groundhawgs these frangibles are the way to go, they pretty much eliminate the possiblity of a ricochet, hit some heavy grass and they fragment, or a stick (learned by experience)
beltbuckle

Postby tigwelder56 » Fri Jun 15, 2007 1:10 am

It's called "Lake City". It's the same stuff that's manufactured for the military. It's 5.56, not .223 and you need a rifle that is designed for the NATO round. Most of your AR's should be but it's worth a check before buying one if that's what you want to feed it. It's a higher pressure round, I guess you could say a +P for the .223. I'll get a few suppliers names for you. It might be getting harder to get since they've started funneling it to the troops more than the civilian market. But it can still be had and it's not that expensive but like everything else it's going up in price. Used to be able to get it for around $7 bucks/20 but it's up around $9 now in some places. Look for Lake City manufacturing in defense and surplus stock. They're really starting to raise prices on everything now and sending much more to the troops. If the troops need it, so be it. I wish I could send them some if I could. But it's not going to get any cheaper that's for sure. If you can find a good price on any decent ammo, buy as much as you can before the price gets out of reach!

tigwelder56

Postby tigwelder56 » Fri Jun 15, 2007 1:28 am

Here's some interesting info regarding .223 and 5.56mm ammo:

Q. What is the difference between 5.56?45mm and .223 Remington ammo?

In the 1950's, the US military adopted the metric system of measurement and uses metric measurements to describe ammo. However, the US commercial ammo market typically used the English "caliber" measurements when describing ammo. "Caliber" is a shorthand way of saying "hundredths (or thousandths) of an inch." For example, a fifty caliber projectile is approximately fifty one-hundredths (.50) of an inch and a 357 caliber projectile is approximately three-hundred and fifty-seven thousandths (.357) of an inch. Dimensionally, 5.56 and .223 ammo are identical, though military 5.56 ammo is typically loaded to higher pressures and velocities than commercial ammo and may, in guns with extremely tight "match" .223 chambers, be unsafe to fire.

The chambers for .223 and 5.56 weapons are not the same either. Though the AR15 design provides an extremely strong action, high pressure signs on the brass and primers, extraction failures and cycling problems may be seen when firing hot 5.56 ammo in .223-chambered rifles. Military M16s and AR15s from Colt, Bushmaster, FN, DPMS, and some others, have the M16-spec chamber and should have no trouble firing hot 5.56 ammunition.

Military M16s have slightly more headspace and have a longer throat area, compared to the SAAMI .223 chamber spec, which was originally designed for bolt-action rifles. Commercial SAAMI-specification .223 chambers have a much shorter throat or leade and less freebore than the military chamber. Shooting 5.56 Mil-Spec ammo in a SAAMI-specification chamber can increase pressure dramatically, up to an additional 15,000 psi or more.

The military chamber is often referred to as a "5.56 NATO" chamber, as that is what is usually stamped on military barrels. Some commercial AR manufacturers use the tighter ".223" (i.e., SAAMI-spec and often labeled ".223" or ".223 Remington") chamber, which provides for increased accuracy but, in self-loading rifles, less cycling reliability, especially with hot-loaded military ammo. A few AR manufacturers use an in-between chamber spec, such as the Wylde chamber. Many mis-mark their barrels too, which further complicates things. You can generally tell what sort of chamber you are dealing with by the markings, if any, on the barrel, but always check with the manufacturer to be sure.

Typical Colt Mil-Spec-type markings: C MP 5.56 NATO 1/7

Typical Bushmaster markings: B MP 5.56 NATO 1/9 HBAR

DPMS marks their barrels ".223", though they actually have 5.56 chambers.

Olympic Arms marks their barrels with "556", with some additionally marked "SS" or "SUM." This marking is used on all barrels, even older barrels that used .223 chambers and current target models that also use .223 chambers. Non-target barrels made since 2001 should have 5.56 chambers.

Armalite typically doesn't mark their barrels. A2 and A4 models had .223 chambers until mid-2001, and have used 5.56 chambers since. The (t) models use .223 match chambers.

Rock River Arms uses the Wylde chamber specs on most rifles, and does not mark their barrels.

Most other AR manufacturers' barrels are unmarked, and chamber dimensions are unknown.

Opinion: In general it is a bad idea to attempt to fire 5.56 rounds (e.g., M193, M855) in .223 chambers, particularly with older rifles.

tigwelder56

Postby beltbuckle » Fri Jun 15, 2007 8:48 pm

interesting. I went and looked what mine said. It's a 5.56 nato 1/9. Their match target comeptition hbar.
beltbuckle

Postby tigwelder56 » Fri Jun 15, 2007 9:34 pm

You should be able to thread a needle with your rifle! That's a very special barrel and with the specs your barrel has it's capable of firing heavier bullets with much better accuracy. It's all good!

tigwelder56

Postby beltbuckle » Fri Jun 15, 2007 10:15 pm

I'd call it a solid 500 yard gun! Hey, I've been searching a bit online and cant find anywhere to buy the Lake city ammo
beltbuckle

Next

Return to Hunting