>
Board Index Serious Shooters Hunting

Animal parts usage

Share stories of all things hunting: Deer, Fowl, Turkey, Big Game, or discuss recipes, sporting dogs, or bow hunting.

Postby lotsip81 » Sun Nov 23, 2008 12:44 pm

kyle44mag, you still running around the forums? Do you learn how to make any new things to make out of you hunting expeditions?
"Guns don't kill people, People do!"
lotsip81

Postby kyle44mag » Sat Dec 06, 2008 2:15 pm

Yes Im here. I just havent been posting in a while. I am drying out some turkey feet to make into coat habgers as per Field & Stream's instructions.

Thank you

Kyle
kyle44mag

Postby agonist » Fri Dec 19, 2008 5:53 pm

I took my first whitetail last saturday. Yummy!
agonist

Postby beltbuckle » Wed Dec 24, 2008 2:41 am

I'm late but Congrats! Buck or doe? I'm assuming a doe since you didnt give a point and spread.......

What did ya take it with?

Shot placement?

Details man, details...
beltbuckle

Postby agonist » Sun Dec 28, 2008 11:58 pm

A doe. Youngish but okay size. I felt I had to take what I could get this year. My partner and I got permission to hunt some private land from one of our customers. 86 hardwood acres along a ridge with a good size stream running down into 2 good size ponds. We weren't able to do much scouting first and had already missed rifle season and were now into muzzleloader.

We went into the woods around 5:30 with shooting time being 7:20. We had a full moon that night and it was bright enough to see through the scope on the CVA Wolf I was carrying.

We worked our way in low and about halfway up the slope I found a low boulder to back up to that gave me a pretty good view so I settled in. My partner went about 200 yds further up into a little boulder garden he had found.

I sat silent, seeing and hearing nothing but a coule of frisky squrrels until around 9:15. It was cold as hell and as sometimes I have trouble with my hands and feet my partner radioed down to me to ask how I was doing. I said I was alright and that I thought I had heard a few noises and I wanted to wait a bit longer before moving at all.

About 15 minutes later I realized my toes were numb and I was pretty freakin' cold most likely due to that thought being put in my head. So I radioed back that I figured I had better stretch my legs and get my circulation going.

I stood up and set my rifle against a tree so I could take a leak. Just as the last drop hits the ground I hear a twig snap and see movement off to my left and there was a healthy looking doe with a good sized skipper in tow about 20 yds away. I froze as they made their way past, quartering up the hill now directly behind me. In a fluid motion I reached for my rifle and continued to turn around. I put her in my crosshairs as she walked on and when she made a clear spot I said "HEY"! She stoppped and I fired from 40 yds entering her left front shoulder, hitting the heart and exiting her right shoulder breaking both. She took 2 leaps and went down unable to move as the skipper ran off. I quickly reloaded my rifle and radioed my friend. I took several steps closer then fired a finishing shot at her raised head entering the inside corner of her right eye.

Then I buttoned up my pants.

All in all a fullfilling experience and I couldn't be more pleased.

The CVA Wolf turned out to be a great rifle and I used a 265gr. saboted bullet with 100gr. American Pioneer powder charge which performed excellently.
agonist

Previous

Return to Hunting