>
Board Index Serious Shooters Military & Police

Help with firearm selection for police force

Discuss assualt and tactical techniques, law enforcement, militia, and other combat and security topics.

Help with firearm selection for police force

Postby Elacher10 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:13 am

So I am new to firearms. I have shot a few pistols. Recently a Glock 17 and 40 along with my grandma's 357 magnum. I was just accepted into a police academy and I need to purchase my own firearm. Everyone tells me to go with a Glock. The recoil on the 40 was a bit much and the 17 and 40 feel top heavy cause of the poly handle. So if anyone could give me some insight on what would be the best firearm to buy, I would really appreciate it.
Elacher10

Postby BrianB » Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:49 am

When you say "everyone tells me" who is everyone? Is this what the academy told you? Do they have a certain guideline as to what they want you to get?
BrianB

Postby Elacher10 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:08 am

We are required to have a semi-auto pistol that is either 9mm 40 or 45 caliber. Couple people at work who are familiar with law enforcement talk highly of the glock. I shot the 17 which wasn't that bad. It just feels top heavy. I have been reading up on the Baretta 92-f.
Elacher10

Postby BrianB » Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:39 am

Beretta seems to make very good guns. I do not have one but did recently do some firing of a PX4 Storm .40 and it seemed very smooth and well balanced with very little felt recoil.

There are several good manufactures out there that should be fine. I would probably look towards either Beretta, Springfield arms or Glock probably, just to keep it simple but there are many others and lots that are higher end than those I have mentioned. What kind of budget do you have to work with?
BrianB

Postby GOANRA » Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:48 am

Before retiring from LE, I carried many sidearms for a few agencies, County/State/Fed.

I like the Sigs for the range, but the Glocks can't be beat for duty use. With a 'vest' and a 12 lb duty belt, a sidearm will become a brick in a hurry... and will cause back problems.

Glocks have the fewest moving parts, are the lightest, lowest failure rate, no manual safeties, nearly indestructable, etc.

With LE discount, most models run about $350.

My favorites [for duty] were the G-22 and G-23. They are both .40 cal.

I never liked a 9mm for duty use... I like the the Big Bore, Stop NOW, rounds! I'd have carried the .45acp, but dept didn't allow them... at the time.

Once saw a BG take two 40cal in the chest [G-22]... dead before he hit the pavement.

Sidearm is in holster 99.9% of the time, ought to be lightweight.
NRA Lifer
GOA member
Retired LEO
Μολὼν λαβέ
If gun laws worked; criminals would obey them.
Join the NRA here: http://home.nra.org/#/nraorg
GOANRA

Postby Elacher10 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:58 am

My budget is around 5-800 bucks. I may be able to stretch it to a grand. The recoil for the glock 40 felt a little much when I shot it at the range. Don't know if I was overcompensating for it or not. They just felt top heavy. I am goinng to shoot a few more guns but I'm liking the Baretta 92-f, Glock 17 or 23 and a CZ-75b. I know Glocks are the lightest and have the least moving parts, thats what makes me keep thinking about them. Plus I'm not sure if we are required to not have a thumb safety on the guns.
Elacher10

Postby BrianB » Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:51 pm

"Plus I'm not sure if we are required to not have a thumb safety on the guns."

You should probably make sure to find out if there are any restrictions like this before buying one, let us know.
BrianB

Postby Elacher10 » Sat Aug 14, 2010 12:24 am

Well I'm looking at the Springfield xd and the M&P Smith and Wessen which are both on our list of guns we can get.
Elacher10

Postby SW-Insured » Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:25 am

elacher: If the felt recoil of the Glock 22 .40 is an issue, try an HK USP .40 cal. The USP is equipped with a secondary recoil buffering spring that will noticeably reduce felt recoil of the .40.

Also, practice will help you to overcome flinching, the instinctive reflex that kicks in for inexperienced shooters, when anticipating or attempting to compensate for recoil.
SW-Insured

Postby tigwelder56 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 4:29 pm

I've got to recommend without hesitation, the Glock 23. I've used, carried and been repeatedly impressed with it's performance. In well over a decade of use, I have never had a failure of any kind with this pistol. I have shot everything through it, including the kitchen sink and it just keeps asking for more. Fairly light weight, extremely easy to maintain and you won't find a more reliable pistol right out of the box anywhere. When my life is on the line or that of the people most important to me, it's a Glock that I reach for.
NRA Life Member GOA Member
NAGR Member DAV Life Member Oathkeepers Member
Help Save America, have your liberal spayed or neutered!

Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is one well armed sheep contesting the vote! --The Sheep
tigwelder56

Next

Return to Military & Police