>
Board Index Gear and Ammo Accessories

LIGHTS FOR LAW ENFORCEMENT

Discuss holsters, grips, magazines, sights, scopes, night-vision, gun safes, and other gun gear.

Postby watchmaker » Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:08 pm

watchmaker

Postby tigwelder56 » Mon Nov 03, 2008 1:00 am

Thank you Watchmaker, this was an excellent read! I appreciate the time and effort you obviously spent to make it as high quality as it is.

Regards,

Tig
NRA Life Member GOA Member
NAGR Member DAV Life Member Oathkeepers Member
Help Save America, have your liberal spayed or neutered!

Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is one well armed sheep contesting the vote! --The Sheep
tigwelder56

Postby watchmaker » Mon Nov 03, 2008 1:01 pm

Tig,

Thank you for your appreciation of my thread.

Best regards

Watchmaker
watchmaker

Postby watchmaker » Wed Dec 24, 2008 2:03 pm

Merry Christmas to all
watchmaker

Postby g4l » Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:04 pm

I received the Surefire "G2Z CombatLight" as a gift over a year ago, I liked it so much I bought a second in desert-tan. I think it's a great tactical light, has a rugged body, comes with a lanyard, and it really illuminates well at good distances. I don't have much experience with all the different companies, but I like Surefire and can recommend this one.

http://www.surefire.com/G2z-Combatlight
g4l

Postby watchmaker » Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:50 pm

watchmaker

Postby tigwelder56 » Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:27 am

Hey Watchmaker!!

I just purchased this light on your recommendation! The specs on this light were certainly excellent for the price. I got mine on sale for an excellent price.... Wow! I'll let you know what and where once I get it. Incredible power for the price. Thanks for the tip!!

Tig

Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is one well armed sheep contesting the vote! --The Sheep
tigwelder56

Postby tigwelder56 » Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:57 am

I received the TerraLUX LightStar 220 today. The shipping was very fast. It's a nice looking light, very slender, dark gray color hard anodized I believe, with a removable pocket clip and nylon lanyard. It came with two AA Energizer batteries and also included a black nylon sheath. Everything needed to put it immediately into service.

It has a push button on/off switch on the base that must be switched/clicked fully on to illuminate the light. There is no momentary function, I wish it did. It always starts with the 220 Lumen setting. A soft press on the same button decreases the illumination to the 100 Lumen setting. You can switch between the two brightnesses by soft touches on the base button. To turn it off requires a hard click. I haven't found a remote switch for it yet. I'll post it if I find one.

www.batteryjunction.com

The light functions very well and including shipping cost me $42.00. For a CREE XRE Q4 LED, 220 Lumen light, you'd be hard pressed to find a comparable light for the money. It has a one inch tube and will fit in most common light mounts. Anyone looking for a light needs to look at this one!

tigwelder56

Postby watchmaker » Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:43 pm

watchmaker

Postby watchmaker » Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:06 pm

NEW BULB FOR THE BOREALIS FLASHLIGHT

750 LUMENS FOR 75 MINUTES

As you may know the Borealis 1050 lumens flashlight is the most powerful military/police flashlight in use today.

The Borealis will make 1050 lumens for 50 minutes on rechargeable batteries. Now a new bulb is available which will run the light for 75 minutes with a drop of only 300 lumens.

Lights in use by police today are the Magcharger, the Stingers, the SL 20 up to 200 lumens, the Ultra Stinger-295 lumens, the Pelican 7060-135 lumens, and the Fenix TK series up to 240 lumens.

Military forces use a variety of Surefires as weapon lights with 120 lumens and hand held like the Surefire M-4, 350 lumens and the Surefire M-6 at 500 lumens.

So, the above statement of the Borealis been the most powerful is not an exaggeration, many are been used daily by police and many are doing tour of duty in Afghanistan and Iraq.

What the new bulb does is extend the run time to 75 minutes without reducing drastically the output.

As no other duty flashlight with the same lumens is available, I decided to conduct a shoot out against a big two million candlepower spotlight, the one at hand was an almost new Brikmann Q beam Max million II (two million candlepower) with a reflector of five inches wide and a big bulb of 75 watt.

All this in competition to a bean sized 30 watt bulb and two inch reflector of the Borealis.

DAVID AND GOLIATH

FIVE INCH VERSUS TWO INCH

This particular Borealis has a Light Stippled reflector, a reflector designed to give a good balance between flood and throw, but given the semi custom character of the Borealis three other reflectors are available, smooth for maximum throw, orange peel for just a little less throw but more flood (also called side spill) and a medium stippled reflector designed for a big flood but with the range limited to 100 yards.

As the night was bitterly cold I decided to take the pictures and shoot the beams right out of my second story kitchen window, with the short tripod legs resting in the kitchen sink.

The target is the white and blue cabana which is the second building in the picture after the fence.

The target is 74 yards from my window, with back trees as much as 85 yards (they are still visible with both lights).

Due to the big reflector in the spot light, the beam is concentrated in the center of the picture and illumination from the side spill is not as great as it is with the Borealis 750 lumens bulb.

Observe both pictures and you will see more area illuminated by the Borealis 750 lumens bulb, than is illuminated by the two million candlepower spotlight.

Still the intensity of both beams is similar at the center of the target area.

Q-BEAM MAX TWO MILLION

BOREALIS 750 LUMENS 75 MINUTES BULB

In conclusion the new Borealis bulb of 750 lumens is worthy for those that will want a run time of 75 minutes. Even after loosing 300 lumens the Borealis still is the most powerful flashlight used by the police and the military.

The light can be ordered with the 1050 lumens bulb installed and the spare as the 750 lumens or vice-versa. You can also order the reflector most appropriate for you work, the only light in the Industry that offers you a choice of four reflectors.

Cheers.

Watchmaker
watchmaker

PreviousNext

Return to Accessories