>
Board Index Gear and Ammo Reloading

Gun-buying decisions

For reloaders and related equipment such as presses, dies, trimmers, scales, and bullet molds.

Gun-buying decisions

Postby pcnightmare » Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:36 pm

Hey guys, I only recently started posting here but I've been visiting the site for years now. I'm just curious to know what other peoples' gun-purchasing philosophies are. How do you decide what to add to your collection?

I know a man who is determined to own every type of 1911 in existence, yet he owns virtually no other firearms. I have another friend who is the same way about Glocks- he wants every caliber in every size - but that's all he collects.

Neither of these philosophies work for me. Personally I try to expand my collection with as many different calibers, from as many different manufacturers as possible. I currently have 13 guns from 12 different makers (the only duplication being Winchester) and the only chamberings that I have more than one of are 22lr and 12 gauge.

I'm interested in hearing how you personally make your gun-buying decisions. Do you have a plan like me and my friends, or do you just go with whatever catches your eye?
pcnightmare

Postby Will_Carry » Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:40 pm

There is no method to my madness. I started out buying pistols for self defense and concealed carry. Then I bought a few .22s for cheap target shooting. Then I bought a single action cowboy pistol and a 1911 for their historical significance and a .357 magnum for a woods gun. I just finished buying pistols now. I can't think of a single one I want. None of the pistols I bought made me a better shooter.

Wait! I want a Smith and Wesson model 29 or a 27. I like the old school Smiths.
Will_Carry

Postby judgeparker » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:25 pm

Me see, me like, me want as simple as that. Well not quite that simple. I have to save up the money to pay for them. But now that I have what I need there is no rhyme or reason. Me just like.
judgeparker

Postby BrianB » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:24 pm

Mainly just whatever catches my eye. With my wife we have about a dozen guns.

1 .357 Taurus revolver, my first.

1 Taurus Mil Pro because I wanted a pistol for concealed carry. Small but not really small.

1 Sigma, walking by the gun counter at academy, the price caught my eye so I just bought it.

1 S&W 686 SSR .357 revolver. Not totally happy about the Taurus revolver so bought the same from S&W.

2 Ruger LCPs. My wife wanted one and once I tried hers out I did too.

2 Ruger 10/22 bought one for fun. Bought a second because the 1st was so much fun.

1 Mossberg 500 persuader shotgun simply to have a shotgun just in case.

1 Springfield XDm. My wife's 1st gun. She did alot of research and came out with this one. She did well I think.

1 Sig Mosquito .22. My wife wanted a .22 pistol for practice, she did not do her normal diligent research 1st though and turned out being a mistake, not a very good gun.

1 Marlin 336 I love lever guns and I wanted a hunting rifle and found that this one had a very high reputation. Really nice gun.

I have some future plans. I want to get a matching caliber set of Beretta Storms, 1 pistol and 1 Carbine. I really like the idea of being able to use mags in either weapon.

A Mare's leg, though likely a useless gun in practicality, it's just so damned cool. I want one in 357 matching ammo with current my revolvers.

Someday I plan to go through all the NFA stuff and get me a Mad Max double barrel sawed off pistol type gun in 20 gauge. Yeah, yeah, I know but who cares, it's that cool to me.

I think that would pretty much leave me with about all I could want..............for now, haha.
BrianB

Postby pcnightmare » Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:10 pm

Sounds like a pretty nice collection you have there, I have a number of those myself. Like I said, I like to spread it around with as many manufacturers, countries of origin and calibers as possible, and I try to do the due diligence to ensure that the gun I get is one of that company's best models.

But I also have a soft spot for 12 gauge pumps. Once I have purchased everything from my wishlist, which I am decades from doing, I may just start collecting as many of them as possible. No real rational reason for my affection, other than the cheap prices, but they still call to me even though the ones I already have more than fit my needs.
pcnightmare

Postby samuellee60 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:28 pm

I like reading your alls posts. Pretty funny and pretty simple "me like, me want, me get." Made me laugh.

My uncle is a retired arson investigator for the state police. He finally stopped collecting firearms after his 35th pistol. He also has a dozen or so rifles.

He gave me my first gun about half a year ago, a marlin 60. I know, they're not the most expensive or strongest rifles, but 1 shot from it and I was hooked.

I bought a Mossberg Maverick 88 mainly because it was cost effective and I wanted a home defense weapon.

I then went a little further and bought a Hi Point 9mm, once more for home defense but mainly just to play around on.

I almost regret getting into this because I am frothing at the mouth at all these guns I see on here. My wife hates my new hobby :)

I've been reading on this sight for about half a year now, and the first time I saw a Taurus Model 85 my tongue almost fell out from all the drool.

I don't care about big name brands or expensive firearms, if I like it I want to get it.

About a month ago I laid eyes on the .308 Marlin Express and I about died again.

I want both of those so bad I can't see straight.

As far as it goes for a gun rookie, i'm with my brothers here in saying, "me like, me want."
samuellee60

Postby judgeparker » Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:22 pm

Welcome to the club brother. Try to keep your wife uninterested until you get everything you want cause if she finds out that its so much fun well there goes your gun money:( to be spent on her guns.
judgeparker

Return to Reloading