>
Board Index Gear and Ammo Ammunition

lead vs. metal cased

Discussions and arguments about caliber types, ballistics, ammo loads, handloading, and reloading.

lead vs. metal cased

Postby biglakeed » Sun Apr 25, 2010 2:39 pm

shooting a .22 revolver.. does the type of bullet, lead tipped (being cheaper to shoot) or metal cased, make a difference as far as having to clean the cylinders after shooting all day? I've read (no experience myself yet) that lead can be a pain.
biglakeed

Postby Tinmancr » Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:12 am

yep soft lead will need more cleaning, it is often more accurate as it grips rifling more.

this is of course for target use only, also never shoot lead and follow it with plated/jacketed or whatever.

doing this will kill your accuracy and just waste your ammo, if need be carry a cleaning rod when changing ammo type.

be really careful as your .22 bore is not much bigger than the rod itself I recommend a plastic or coated rod, currently I am using a brass one and it seems fine.

with a revolver you have another problem your cylinder will get gummed up esp if you use cheap/lead ammo.

I would shoot federal champions php they are not expensive shoot very accurate and are decent field rounds.

for a little better ammo with more oomf I shoot winchester super x hps they are bigger faster and expand very well, they are even a little more accurate in some guns.

good luck and enjoy your gun hope this was helpful.
Tinmancr

Postby whitehood » Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:25 am

Don't listen this hogwash. The Remington 22 lead bullets are hard cast and will do just fine with a well made revolver. Just check out the forcing cone to make sure it's not shaving lead. Tin is confused about soft lead and target shooting with black powder cartridges. Some specialty shooters like 30 to 1 instead of standard 20 to 1 lead, but they'll use paper patching or gas checks. It has nothing to do with 22's.
whitehood

Return to Ammunition