>
Board Index Wield Your Weapon Rifles

Ruger 10/22 Reviews

Discuss and review rifles and caribines with others who have a passion for long range precision shooting.

Postby markej4801 » Sat Jun 18, 2011 7:32 am

I'm sure your wife won't mind. Advancing the cause of clean firing weapons and all. ;)

Gummy ammo. Hmmm. Who'da thought? I like golden bullets a lot, much better than the Federal for this reason. CCI has come out with a new bulk .22 for the AR type of rifles. Seems to feed better than the goldens even. Still, if you can see your way clear, my recommendation (at least from my .22's point of view), go with the CCI Minimags when you want consistent feed performance. My Beretta Bobcat even likes them, but LOVES the hotter bullets even more. Tried the subsonics (bought a couple of 50rd boxes last visit to Cabelas). Everybody except the Bob fed/fired them OK. However, the claims that they were quieter didn't follow through in my experience. More expense, less performance. Good experiment, solid experience which won't have to be repeated.
markej4801

Postby markej4801 » Sat Jun 18, 2011 7:39 am

Here's the name of the vid: Disassembling, cleaning, and reassembling a Ruger 10/22 Mag.

The music reminds me of Masterpiece Theater. :D I would almost expect Alistair Cookie (Sesame Street gag) doing it. Would have been more fun.

BTW, He likes CLP. I started with Hoppes and still use it but also like the Remoil. I suspect just about anything will work fine, so long as it doesn't melt plastic. ;)
markej4801

Postby MR40CAL » Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:22 pm

Fairly new to the site so far very informative. Just got my 10/22 the other day and am shooting it for the first time today. Have shot one before but it doesn"t make me any less excited. I want this thing to shoot a grape off a squirrels head haha. Have a bushnell 3-9x32 scope and a box of 500rds so wish me luck!
MR40CAL

Postby Dharmabumz » Sat Jun 18, 2011 2:12 pm

Welcome to the site 40cal. I'm relatively new to 10/22's and have had nothing but fun shooting it. There are some nice guys on here who can call up a lot of experience when we have questions, so happy shooting.
Dharmabumz

Postby zippoman1950 » Sat Jun 18, 2011 7:17 pm

welcome to the site 40cal.....first thing I'd do is buy a trigger assembly. I wish even tho I have to use a pistol grip on anything I shot due to limited movement of my right hand, I'd have bought a trigger assembly before the replacement stock.
zippoman1950

Postby pakettle » Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:03 pm

Although I have a Henry Hoo1, my wife doesn't really like lever action rifles, she would prefer a semi auto. Maybe a ruger 10/22 or a marlin 60. Cant decide which, any help here,thanks. Does one shoot better then the other, how about field stripping and cleaning!
pakettle

Postby Dharmabumz » Sun Jun 19, 2011 4:46 pm

Howdy Pa Kettle; Welcome aboard. I shoot a Henry Big Boy (.357) and my wife also isn't overly fond of the lever.

I have not compared the Marlin to the 10/22. My wife andI shoot a 10/22 Target, with scope and Volquartsen trigger assembly. I have personally never found a .22 rifle I like better. I shoot an Anschutz 1813 Match Rifle which is arguably more accurate....but the 10/22 is smooth as butter. Loads of fun for targets or just plinking tin cans.

I haven't field stripped mine for cleaning. I usually clean the barrel and swab out and oil the receiver area and that seems to work. The barrel and action come out by removing one screw, so you can knock out some pins to get inside the action to clean if you want.You might look on youtube. There are tons of videos re cleaning the 10/22,

and I'm sure the Marlin 60 as well.

For my money, I wouldn't trade my 10/22 for any other rifle for pure pleasure and easy shooting/maintaining.

Good luck in your selection of a rifle.

Of course you understand my statements ere are pure and unbiased? Markej and some of the others will vouch for that. :-) :-)
Dharmabumz

Postby MR40CAL » Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:53 pm

Thanks Dharma and Zippo. I did have a lot of fun and so did my 7 yr old daughter! Gotta start em young! I did notice the trigger to be a little jumpy if you know what I mean. Also the smooth plastic buttplate needs to go but I love the wood stock. I might have to get creative there. Only went through 100 rds but couldn't get my groupings under 2 inches. Using a 32mm bushnell scope. All in all a fun as hell gun!
MR40CAL

Postby Dharmabumz » Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:02 pm

Hey 40cal; Glad you guys had a fun shoot. At her age that and safety are the best medicine. I've seen posts referring to the trigger smoothing out after some rounds are run through the pipe.

It's hard to own a 10/22 and not have fun with it so enjoy.
Dharmabumz

Postby markej4801 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:21 am

Yes Pakettle, I would vouch for what dharmabumz says. I enjoy taking my 10/22's out for a session of plinking/target shooting.They are reliable, simple to clean and last for many, many years. My first suggestion to you though, is once you have bought one (would be nice if a friend has one or a range has a rental for you to try out) to get used to it first. The base gun is a splendid work of ingenuity. There are MANY things you can do to make it better. When you are ready, the very first recommendation I give (and this would be backed by just about everyone I have discussed this with) is to give it a trigger job. Sounds involved, but it isn't as difficult as you might think. It can be as simple as a trigger group replacement (over $200+ but really nice) or buying the parts in question and replacing them yourself (typically around $50). There are videos on YouTube that can walk you through the job and it takes only a few minutes to do it. I've gone both routes and haven't been sorry to try both.

Everything else becomes a point of personal taste that only you can decide. This can get VERY expensive (some have racked up over $1000--on a plinker!), but the joy is in the journey, not how little you have to pay to make it yours. Take your time, read loads of stuff, watch all the vids you can stand. It's your hobby and your money. :)

As to any other .22 rifle? Can't really say. I got started on this road when my brother first showed me his International model. I was so wowed by it, I had to have one. Then I got a base model to customize (thus the earlier statement of expensive) and haven't been sorry for either purchase. Any other .22 rifle I have handled has been in the light of my own guns and they just don't quite shine as bright. I DO have a couple of pistols and enjoy them as well, but my 10/22's are the ones that really give me a smile. It's just fun times.
markej4801

PreviousNext

Return to Rifles