>
Board Index Wield Your Weapon Shotguns

Mossberg Maverick 88 Reviews

Discuss and review the most versatile firearm available.

Postby beetlemaster07 » Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:57 am

Hey Tig, what I meant to say was I field stripped it and put it back together again. I took it to my local gunsmith and he said this is normal with these mavericks so I am going to take it to the range and see how it does this weekend. I like everything else about this gun and it was purchased brand new so it's not been used by anyone else, it's just me being overly critical of something everyone else would overlook. All I'm going to use it for is home defense anyway so it'll set more than get fired a whole lot.
beetlemaster07

Postby ke7zem » Sun Sep 04, 2011 1:16 am

I currently own, and have owned in the past the Mossberg 500 cruiser with pistol grip and 18.1/4"? barrel and I have owned the less expensive, cheaper Maverick imitation. I can say this about the Maverick, it only has one slide rail support on the right side (the mossberg has one on each side for stability) of the pump, this might explain the pump handle moving around so much. For a cheap gun that your not going to use very much, I would probably rely on it to work when I needed it too. but for using it alot to play with, and shoot alot I don't think it would last as long as a real Mossberg. I also experienced a jamming situation, or FTF on the Maverick. The Mossberg has worked flawlessly. I even hunted ducks with that thing years ago. I found one used for 300.00. I'd rather have the Mossberg than the knock off Maverick. just one shooters opinion
ke7zem

Postby ke7zem » Sun Sep 04, 2011 1:48 am

here are some pictures of the mossberg I have, if you click on them you can see the part i'm talking about, it's a thin metal rail attatch to the rear of the pump on both sides, not just the right side like the maverick. copy and paste this link:

http://ke7zem.mediashare.com?selectedalbum=ke7zem530515
ke7zem

Postby ke7zem » Sun Sep 04, 2011 1:56 am

I was wrong!!!! i'll be the first to admit. after looking and reading about the new maverick it DOES have the twin action side bars! The older versions did NOT have them on both sides, I apologize for this gross miscarriage of information!!!!!!
ke7zem

Postby ke7zem » Sun Sep 04, 2011 5:35 pm

thanx guyz. I just went to an indoor range in Arlington WA that let me shoot my pistol grip mossberg, they only let you shoot slugs or buck shot, so I boght 2 boxes of 00 buck and tore the crap out of some paper! it had been a while since I shot that thing and these 2 3/4" shells were HOT! I forgot the brand of them, but it knocked me back first couple of times. I found a 3 sided Picitinny rail that fits on the tube mag between the front of the pump and the barrel take down bolt. and, a light lazer combo for it on Amizon.com of all places!!!! cheap too! pistol grips are for shootin from the hip! I love it.
ke7zem

Postby NicM91 » Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:05 am

I recently bought Mossberg Maverick Model 88 at a local gun show and have installed a heatshield(ATI Brand) down the barrel with hat they called Ar-15 style ghost ring sights mounted on the shield 13 1/2 inches long. llooks fantastic and slipped on a universal shotshell holder and its personalized enough for me. Looks great, now im eager to fire it. anbody recommen any particual round for this gun.
NicM91

Postby beetlemaster07 » Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:20 pm

I've heard that federal and remington shotshells feed fine through these but the winchester super X brand can have problems with ejecting correctly. I usually go with federals cause they are cheap and function fine through a mossy or maverick.
beetlemaster07

Postby tigwelder56 » Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:17 pm

I've got an 88 and it shoots well with most quality rounds. I've had trouble with ejection with some of the European stuff. Stay American and you'll be fine! A couple of my favorite Federal loads are:

Federal Premium Personal Defense Ammunition 12 Gauge 2-3/4" Reduced Recoil 00 Buckshot (9 Pellets)

and

Federal Power-Shok Ammunition 12 Gauge 2-3/4" Buffered #4 Buckshot (34 Pellets)
NRA Life Member GOA Member
NAGR Member DAV Life Member Oathkeepers Member
Help Save America, have your liberal spayed or neutered!

Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is one well armed sheep contesting the vote! --The Sheep
tigwelder56

Postby baily » Fri Nov 25, 2011 2:56 pm

how is the recoil on the 88
baily

Postby tigwelder56 » Fri Nov 25, 2011 3:14 pm

It's very controllable and is easy to tolerate (recoil) over a day of shooting. I have the model pictured on this thread, so I don't do alot of extended shooting when I take it out. I'll do some practice drills and go through 20 or 30 rounds which is enough for me! A semi auto 12 gauge offers the least recoil in my opinion. What do you plan to use the shotgun for?
NRA Life Member GOA Member
NAGR Member DAV Life Member Oathkeepers Member
Help Save America, have your liberal spayed or neutered!

Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is one well armed sheep contesting the vote! --The Sheep
tigwelder56

PreviousNext

Return to Shotguns