>
Board Index Wield Your Weapon Shotguns

Mossberg 500 Persuader Reviews

Discuss and review the most versatile firearm available.

Postby Machete » Wed Jul 01, 2009 5:50 pm

I'm thinking about buying a shotgun but I have never fired a 12-gauge. I would like to know how hard they kick, preferably by some type of comparison to a rifle caliber. I own an AK-47 and I want to know if a 12-gauge kicks more or less than that. Please message me if anyone wants to comment. Ty.
Machete

Postby NCCCCWteacher » Sun Jul 05, 2009 4:09 pm

Machete, Recoil on a 12 ga depends on a lot of things, action type, weight, ammo choice ect.. But I'll put it like this. A 12 ga pump with birdshot is sharp but manageable by an advrage sized adult.(more than the AK) Lo recoil shells are nice. You can have all of the power in the world, but if you can't control the gun it is useless.
NCCCCWteacher

Postby topsy33198 » Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:00 pm

hey Machete, i am 11 years old and my father let me shoot his remington 870 12 gauge and it was a big kick, but that might be because im alittle small for that gun but, it is very loud.( you might want to put on some ear protection). I have never shot and AK-47 but, my neihgbor has a range in his backyard so i hear it alot and i see him shooting it all of the time so.... FOR ME i think that a 12 gauge has a whole lot bigger kick!
topsy33198

Postby cavscout3dacr » Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:42 pm

i have a mossberg835 3.5in field w/28in bbl.,but i wanted a more tactical model.i bought a 24in smoothbore slug bbl.,choate extended mag[2rds] and some polymer pistol/forearm stocks,bingo! a breaching gun."SCOUTS OUT"
cavscout3dacr

Postby alakran75 » Wed Sep 09, 2009 3:32 pm

This is my fist shotgun. Proudly made in the USA! Paid $269 + fees. Kicked hard with 3 inch shells, most 2 3/4 inches recoil is managable. I have shot several brands of ammo, after 400+ rounds 0 problems. Smooth action and easy breakdown. Not too light nor to heavy for a 12 gauge. Mossberg 500 probably has more adaptations, add ons, and customization than any other shotgun. It will shoot reliably out of the box. Very reliable shotgun. Purshase it 02/2009. Great shotgun to start with (for the price). Love the 8-round capacity. Its not as elegant as some other guns, but I want a gun that I won't be afraid to use scratch up and shoot, not a show piece.
alakran75

Postby santiagoraul1982 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:31 pm

mossberg 590A1 w/the hit shield is a very nice weapon just put it on lay away. goin to the range when i get it out .im really excited .
santiagoraul1982

Postby buddurbiin » Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:35 pm

Bought my 8rd Mossy 500 used at a local gun store. It had only a pistol grip, and the blue on the feed tube was swirled rather badly from repeated use. I put an ATI top fold stock on and a pistol grip forestock (it looks just like the Tommy gun forestock, but polymer) and headed to the range to test out this so called "indestructable" shotgun. I practice the rapid double tap to ensure lethality, and was capable of firing this gun very fast with minimal practice. HOWEVER after about the third trip to the range a pin on the slide sheared off and the arm would hang up and bind, making cycling almost impossible. We managed to fix this with a set screw, but the design of the slide disappointed me because it is a very small pin. If you notice on the Maverick models they seem to have resolved this issue with a MUCH larger pin, but as for the never 500A, I am not sure. Also the gun is chambered for 3 inch shells (which I would prefer to use on the man who kicks in my door) but you have to be easy with them and rack the slide slower or they hang up and cause the elevator to stick. If they added about 1/8 to 1/4 inch of room I believe it would work fine. Other than that I would say that the Mossberg 500 is a great shotgun, especially for use as an "in case I need to" home defense 12GA.
buddurbiin

Postby mich_jim » Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:46 pm

Hello. Not sure if this is the right place but here goes. I have an older wooden stock 500 persuader. The for end wood grip is cracked. I tried to glue it with wood glue, but didn't come out too good. Where can I buy a replacement? It doesn't have to be perfect as the stock has some blemishes, etc. As long as the for end isn't cracked like mine it will do. Any suggestions?

I've looked on several sites and they want to sell a new stock and forend together. I don't want both.
mich_jim

Postby reverendlovejoy » Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:52 am

I have the 500A persuader. Great weapon for CQ use.(I prefer the stock to the pistol grip for solid target aquisition.) Considered the Remy 870 but just couldn't get past the positioning of the safety and slide release; completely useless for high pressure run n' gun situations. Mossy design for both safety and release is infinitely more practical.
reverendlovejoy

Postby santiagoraul1982 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:30 pm

My mossberg 590a1 fired flawlesly 2 3/4 inch shells are the best for me 3 inch shell were ok but way to much recoil i paid $479 a great buy for me brand new.
santiagoraul1982

PreviousNext

Return to Shotguns