>
Board Index Wield Your Weapon Shotguns

Browning BT-99 Reviews

Discuss and review the most versatile firearm available.

Browning BT-99 Reviews

Postby Trapshoot » Sat Apr 14, 2007 12:12 pm

I've been shooting a BT-99 with the adjustable comb for 4 years. It's a well built nice shooting single barrel break open trap gun. It does shoot a bit 'flat'. I had a Gra-Coil recoil reducer installed and the 'kick' is minimal. It a rather popular gun at the local trap club - see lots of them in use. It's manufactured in Japan, not Belgium. Sportsman's Warehouse has very good prices on this gun. It's a very good buy for someone that want a single barrel gun for shooting trap.
Trapshoot

Postby JustBen » Sat May 29, 2010 6:37 pm

In the process of buying one of these for trap shooting. Does not have a barrel set up for chokes though. Only one pattern which seems to be pretty decent though, (ie: not to large) and I shoot pretty well with it.

Anyone have any advice on buying a gun for trap shooting that does not have chokes ?
JustBen

Postby tigwelder56 » Sat May 29, 2010 7:24 pm

I helped run the US Navy Skeet and Trap Club in Subic Bay, Philippines. We had two shotgun models available. They were the Remington 870 Wingmaster and the Remington 1100. We had open cylinder and full choke models. I won several competitions with my 1100 and loved it. I didn't care for the 870 in Skeet competitions but it served me well for Trap. I would choose the 1100 over the 870 everytime. It's an excellent shotgun.
NRA Life Member GOA Member
NAGR Member DAV Life Member Oathkeepers Member
Help Save America, have your liberal spayed or neutered!

Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is one well armed sheep contesting the vote! --The Sheep
tigwelder56

Postby GOANRA » Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:54 pm

JustBen, I shot competition high-speed-trap for years. The dept issued us the Rem 870 with IC only.

I used my Mossberg 500, ribbed bbl, double sights with the Accu-Chokes, but had to get an "X-Full" choke for the high-speed trap.

At the state finals, the clays were in the next county before they slowed enough to see. The trap-thrower was about the size of my jeep, held a few cases of pigeons & caught me by surprise the 1st year.

We traveled a lot & saw many different speeds of trap. Some were doable with an IC choke.

Can't imagine using a 'fixed' choke.

Also, I got rid of the rubber recoil pad & replaced it with hard plastic after having the rubber snag on my vest once.

It was common for shooters to have recoil cushions built into their vests at that level.

I tried skeet 'once', with a cyl bore pump and I was pathetic.

e/one else was using $2000. ultra-light Over-Under types, and waaayyy out of my league.
NRA Lifer
GOA member
Retired LEO
Μολὼν λαβέ
If gun laws worked; criminals would obey them.
Join the NRA here: http://home.nra.org/#/nraorg
GOANRA

Postby JustBen » Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:37 pm

Thanks for the advice guys. I am having a lot of fun with this trap shooting, mostly because our local gun club has a liquor license, and yes they drink and shoot at the same time, (yikes). The one this that is for sure, these guns are not cheap.
JustBen

Postby tigwelder56 » Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:50 pm

My club used to do the same thing. I'm not sure how wise it is but my club limited consumption to a single drink anytime the firearms were unlocked and that was before anyone had access to the firearms. I might add that my club was in the Philippines. Things were a little less stringent then. It was also 30 years ago... Safety is the #1 consideration anytime a firearm is present. Of course we all know that, right?

Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is one well armed sheep contesting the vote! --The Sheep
tigwelder56

Postby JustBen » Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:52 pm

I am in Northwest Ohio in a small village of 3,000 people. Second highest alcohol/beer consumption county in Ohio with the number one county being adjacent. When the trap league is running and the guys are more serious they self regulate the beer before they shoot. Last week the spring league ended and they had a shoot just for fun. I am not sure anyone had less than 3 beers before they shot. Everyone did pretty darn good though, and the club has never had an incident. Don't think you could do this other than in rural farm country though.
JustBen

Postby tigwelder56 » Sun Jun 06, 2010 6:10 pm

The member that started this thread, "Trapshooter" hasn't been here in 3 years so I don't think we'll be able to ask many questions of him. But there may be another Browning owner out there that can provide some comments on this shotgun. I really like the looks of it and that stock looks superb! It does appear to be a trapshooters dream. Singles only of course. Not sure why they make a quality trap gun in a single shot. For the price, this is very limiting with the advances in Trap games. It would no doubt make an excellent singles gun but useless in doubles or DTL.

tigwelder56

Postby JustBen » Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:51 pm

An excuse to add another gun to my collection. Excellent. I was thinking of getting an over under anyway. Many to choose from and price ranges. I will have to research this one.

Thanks

Ben
JustBen

Postby JustBen » Sat Jul 03, 2010 8:00 am

I ended up buying that 32" BT-99 with a full choke. Really like it, but gave it to my oldest son so he can shoot with me. I will be buying new O/U Monday. One thing that happened at the club the other night was after discharging a round, I could not open the hinge action. Not sure what happened, but after slapping the forend a few times it opened up and I could pull the spent shell out. Everything was clean inside and it never happened again. Could this have been a bad shell that got jammed or operator error. Anyone have a similar occurance?
JustBen

Next

Return to Shotguns