>
Board Index Wield Your Weapon Shotguns

L.C. Smith

Discuss and review the most versatile firearm available.

L.C. Smith

Postby tigwelder56 » Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:07 am

I swear I left you a response to your question yesterday! I know I did. This website is starting to eat replies. Did I by chance send you a private message and my tired brain forgot? Must be Alzheimers setting in...

I need some additional information before I can nail down the price. There are several different grades of these shotguns. There should be mention of it on the gun itself. They are listed as "Field, Ideal, Skeet Special, Premier Skeet, Trap, Specialty, Eagle, Crown, Monogram, Premier, and Deluxe" The value increases with each grade listed. Value depending on grade is $1600.00 for the Field model to $60,000.00 for a Deluxe model in 95% condition.

If you have any additional information on your shotgun's ID, and overall condition, let me know. I hope this post doesn't disappear!
NRA Life Member GOA Member
NAGR Member DAV Life Member Oathkeepers Member
Help Save America, have your liberal spayed or neutered!

Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is one well armed sheep contesting the vote! --The Sheep
tigwelder56

Postby tigwelder56 » Thu Mar 12, 2009 5:15 pm

Okay, I got your pictures and it appears that your shotgun is in excellent condition. Without the opportunity to examine it up close and check the barrels for wear, etc., I can probably give you a good idea of its value, but not exact for that reason.

First of all, my research shows me that your particular model in all gauges were manufactured from 1913-1950 and came with either regular or lightweight frames. Some came with damascus barrels. In 90+% condition they are almost equal in value to the non-damascus models. It says that they were made to exacting standards and collector interest is quite high. It's hard to find a gun in 90+% original condition and from the pictures you sent me, it would appear that your shotgun is at least that quality +/- a few points. The 16 ga. guns are rare, nearly as rare as the 20 ga. models. You said that your shotgun is a "Field" model. During that time frame, these shotguns were made by L.C. Smith/Hunter Arms. They made approx. 195,000 of them. Since I can't physically examine the shotgun, I'll provide you with the values listed for them in 80%, 90% and 95% condition.

For the L.C.Smith "Field Model" Shotgun in 16 Ga.:

95% : $2128.00

90% : $1796.00

80% : $1530.00

I hope this helps answer your question. It seems obvious to me, you've got a valuable shotgun. It's not only a very well made shotgun and an excellent performer, but it's also a real collector's item and you should treat it with great care. Obviously from your pictures, you're doing just that. Nice gun!!
NRA Life Member GOA Member
NAGR Member DAV Life Member Oathkeepers Member
Help Save America, have your liberal spayed or neutered!

Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is one well armed sheep contesting the vote! --The Sheep
tigwelder56

Return to Shotguns