>
Board Index Wield Your Weapon Shotguns

mossberg 200k, and j. stevens 520

Discuss and review the most versatile firearm available.

mossberg 200k, and j. stevens 520

Postby noble527 » Sun Sep 06, 2009 10:20 pm

recently got these guns from my uncle, they where my great grandfathers, i was just seeking some info on the stevens 520...on the mossberg i was curious where i could find a clip for it, my uncle was not sure where it was so i was going to look into buying one, thank you.
noble527

Postby tigwelder56 » Mon Sep 07, 2009 1:43 pm

Regarding your 200K, I've looked far and wide for a magazine without any luck. I'd keep posting on different forums, and look at area gun shows. There are always sellers with tables full of old parts and magazines. I'd also ask your Uncle to look hard!

Here's a reprint from THR about the 520:

The Stevens Model 520 is a classic design from the master himself, John Moses Browning. Browning's Patent Number 781,765 was filed for on 10 July 1903 and granted on 7 February 1905. The design is an artifact of the shift in sportsmen's tastes from single shots and double barrels to the new magazine repeaters, both pump and lever action, from any number of manufacturers. The old J. Stevens Arms and Tool Company of Chicopee Falls, Massachusetts had a history since 1864 of producing successful single shot and double barrel shotguns, and they wanted to get on board the burgeoning pumpgun movement too.

So the company bought the manufacturing rights to the new design from JMB in the spring of 1903, and the Stevens Model 520 entered the marketplace early in 1904. It would stay in production until the similarly-designed but more streamlined Model 620 completely supplanted it in 1932.

The Model 520 has a long history as a fighting shotgun. The history of Stevens fighting shotguns goes back at least to the days when a Stevens-manufactured Wells Fargo 'messenger gun' was used by Wyatt Earp to kill "Curley Bill" Brocius at Iron Springs (now Mescal Springs), Arizona in the aftermath of the famous gunfight at the O. K. Corral.

At the request of the War Department when the US entered World War I, Stevens submitted a prototype trench gun based on the Model 520 sporting shotgun. The prototype's 20" cylinder bore barrel was outfitted with a Stevens-made bayonet adapter and a perforated sheet-metal barrel shield necessary when using a bayonet mounted on a hot-barreled shotgun.

The early 520s featured the 'humpback' receiver typical of the Browning Auto 5 shotgun, plus an additional "step" machined into the top of the receiver profile. Later 520s had a straight profile to the top of the receiver. Also, the early 520s had the old style Browning 'suicide safety,' a sliding safety bar set into the front of the trigger guard and protuding inside, that had to be pushed forward to fire and slid back to safe.

The military version of the Model 520 made a good impression on the War Department, but it arrived on the scene too late to really compete with designs from Remington and Winchester. Still, it is believed that a small number of Model 520 Trench Guns were delivered to the War Department before the Armistice was signed. With the Armistice, all military contracts were cancelled.
NRA Life Member GOA Member
NAGR Member DAV Life Member Oathkeepers Member
Help Save America, have your liberal spayed or neutered!

Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is one well armed sheep contesting the vote! --The Sheep
tigwelder56

Postby kwalker » Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:43 pm

http://www.havlinsales.com/default.htm i have a mossberg 200k and i found a mag for it at this web site good luck
kwalker

Postby cphelps » Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:54 am

i've just recieved a mossburg model 200k and the stock was broken, and thats all i need for it so if you have one and willing to sell, let me know please?
cphelps

Return to Shotguns