>
Board Index Wield Your Weapon Revolvers

Smith & Wesson Model 642 Reviews

Classic design and rock-solid reliability. Discuss everything from a vintage Cowboy-action to a snub-nose .38 special.

Postby gunpoor » Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:43 am

I cleaned the gun with Hoppes No. 9 and there were no adverse effects to the finish.
gunpoor

Postby fletchwe » Sat Jun 25, 2011 4:44 pm

Avoid the use of both the iTAC & Fobus molded holsters for carrying your Model 642. As I own 2 of the Model 642, I purchased 1 holster of each manufacture. Both have worn a crater at 2 locations just above the trigger guard creating substantial burrs. Apparently the aluminum is soft enough to wear right at the retention point. Have gone back to holstering with my original Blackhawk, leather, pancake style.
fletchwe

Postby gunpoor » Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:49 pm

Fletchwe - Do you think that most molded plastic holsters would do the same thing? Like KHOLSTER and CROSSBREED?
gunpoor

Postby fletchwe » Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:46 am

>gunpoor - Don't have experience with those 2 brands, but the most likely position for any manufacturer to grip / retain the firearm is the trigger guard. It only took a matter of months for the iTAC & Fobus to cause the wear mentioned. I still have 11 Fobus holsters I use satisfactorily with semi-automatics, but none of them have an aluminum frame. Frankly I would never part with my 642 as a carry weapon, but I'll stick with the Blackhawk leather from this point on. If you go with the molded type, I hope your experience is better than mine.
fletchwe

Postby fletchwe » Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:57 pm

>gunpoor - Checked the web sites for the K Holster & Crossbreed. After seeing their product, I honestly think you'd be happier with the Blackhawk leather. The Blackhawk is wet molded leather specifically for the 642 style. It has elastic in the top leading edge at the position of the concealed hammer which retains the firearm, but does not affect the draw adversely. It also has the bottom sewn shut so there is nothing for the sight to catch on during draw and prevents dust from getting into the barrel. It's also more competitively priced than the K Holster and same price as the Crossbreed.
fletchwe

Postby fletchwe » Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:14 pm

>gunpoor - Something else to consider if you're planning to carry Speedloaders. I was unable to find a satisfactory pouch and ended up buying an Uncle Mike's nylon which holds 2 Speedloaders. As manufactured, it's lousy because the soft fabric allows it to hang in such a way that the covers come nearly open. I took it to a shoe repair and had a piece of stiff, thick, black leather sewn to the inside of the belt loop where it meets your pants (behind the belt). Problem solved for $5.00.
fletchwe

Postby FryGuy011 » Sat Aug 06, 2011 6:03 pm

Anyone here have a gf or wife which has shot this gun? If so I'd like to know how their experience with it was cause I want to know if it would be a bad cc weapon for my 100 lb gf.
FryGuy011

Postby John_Doe » Sat Aug 06, 2011 8:15 pm

To Fryguy011

I bought one for my daughter. She is 24 and weighs 130 pounds. I took her to the range and she could not handle the kick with a standard pressure 38 load. The light weight guns kick was too much for her. It is however an excellent gun and people are different. She shot a Walther P22 with no problem. I am going to get something in between a 38 and a 22. Maybe a 380 or 22 magnum and try that for her.
John_Doe

Postby gunpoor » Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:08 pm

The Smith Mod. 60 with Pachmayr grips is a great gun for people who want a small potent concealable gun that is heavy enough to absorb recoil. If your daughter is not one to go to the range and practice alot you might want to steer away from an automatic. Revolvers are very simple to load and operate. And more reliable.
gunpoor

Postby John_Doe » Sun Aug 21, 2011 5:41 pm

gunpoor...Thanks, I have a hammerless model 60 with Pachmayr grips and I will let her try that. Maybe the extra weight will be enough. Thanks for the suggestion.
John_Doe

PreviousNext

Return to Revolvers