>
Board Index Wield Your Weapon Revolvers

Smith & Wesson Model 686 Reviews

Classic design and rock-solid reliability. Discuss everything from a vintage Cowboy-action to a snub-nose .38 special.

Smith & Wesson Model 686 Reviews

Postby coolwill07 » Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:38 am

I have this 686 7-shot .357 2 1/2 barrel s&w. no question on revolver reliability and quite a recoil for a 158 gr but accuracy is amazing and with practice and as ccw, this is might and strength.
coolwill07

Postby firedawg60 » Sun Dec 13, 2009 6:38 pm

I've had my 686 since the mid 80's. It's a six shot but has the wood grips. 6" bbl, it's a cannon! Very beautiful piece and I'm very proud of it. Just need to go shooting again.
firedawg60

Postby tigwelder56 » Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:49 am

Hey, I've got a 4" 686 that I'm working on. I have shot this revolver and it functions excellent with .38 Spc. and .357 alike. It had been owned by someone that didn't do much maintenance on it, it was filthy. I've got it looking like new but there's one thing that I hope someone can comment on. The revolver shoots very well in SA and DA, but the cylinder is very tight when I manually try to spin it. The DA trigger pull is smooth and measures in at 12 lbs. I've lubricated it and it has freed up some, not much but some. I haven't seen another one to compare it with, so I'm curious if the cylinders on yours are tight as well. Before I tear it apart I'd like your impressions on this. Thank you!
NRA Life Member GOA Member
NAGR Member DAV Life Member Oathkeepers Member
Help Save America, have your liberal spayed or neutered!

Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is one well armed sheep contesting the vote! --The Sheep
tigwelder56

Postby REDBARRONXXX » Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:19 pm

This gun was my first "Magnum". I bought a 686 with a 6" barrel back in 1989. I must admit that this gun is way too big and heavy for concealed carry. "Wow, is that a gun in your pocket or are just glad to see me?" lol

But in all honesty, this is the sweetest, baddest, prettiest revolver in existence. Wouldn't trade it for anything. But I will also admit that, with the price of .357 ammo, this gun has fired a lot more + P's than full magnum rounds.
REDBARRONXXX

Postby tigwelder56 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:27 pm

Hey XXX, did you happen to read my post? Just curious what your thoughts are on it. I agree though, it's a very nice handgun.

Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is one well armed sheep contesting the vote! --The Sheep
tigwelder56

Postby REDBARRONXXX » Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:19 pm

Tig I don't really know what to think about the cylinder being tight but this is not a problem with my gun. I seem to be able to spin the cylinder pretty freely.

I guess the bottom line is if you pull the trigger does it rotate and give you a fresh cartridge every time?

Has it ever failed to fire?
REDBARRONXXX

Postby tigwelder56 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:57 am

It rotates freely, albeit tighter than most revolver cylinders I'm accustomed to. It isn't an issue that is noticeable (at all) when putting the revolver through it's double action paces. It's utterly reliable and has never failed to fire. I asked the question because I'm always curious about any unusual function or operation in any firearm, but especially one being dpended on for self defense.

tigwelder56

Postby REDBARRONXXX » Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:08 pm

I definitely understand your concern, Even the slightest malfunction could mean life or death.

Anytime there has ever been a misfire, or any other malfunction with a gun, I always think....what if.

The 686 is my trusty bedside gun, as I said before, a little large for concealed carry, but I guess I have to admit that I'm trusting my life to it every night.

Keep us updated on your cylinder.
REDBARRONXXX

Postby REDBARRONXXX » Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:16 pm

I guess that's why, when it comes down to personal protection, I prefer the revolver.

Maybe I'm paranoid, but I just always know it will go bang.
REDBARRONXXX

Postby SittingMooseShaman » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:36 am

Gaah-hhh...

I just killed my cylinder.

Dammitt... Too much time on my hands.

Although my Smithy is the BluedBrother of the 686...

the 586... Same in every way...'cept blued.

And yeah, my cyl WAS... a little snug too...

shoulda left it that way... 'why'... why-yy?!

Kinda like blowin' a big fart on a first date...

Or forgetting to put the drain-nut back in the oil-pan after

an oil change...

Remembering only after the smoke clears from all the crap

burnin' on the exhaust manifold from the blown rod...

"twas a chamber chamfering gone horribly, horribly

wrong... a total no-go...

...and then I lose the yolk screw too!

God...keeping me from attempting something even worse...

8-7/8 inches of Smith & Wessons' workhorse pistol...

pissed & old'd...

Well out comes the Numrichs catalogue...

"Hey, honey! I suddenly have the need for a

hunnert fifty bucks..."

"Ah-hh, ta hell wit' the phone bill!"

"Whadda I need one for?"

"Yer family hates us...fer th' matter...so does mine!"

"Everyone's gettin' old and dyin' off ennyways..."

God...to be 21 again!...

I look in the mirror and say..."Only you, Moose can

take a primier pistol makers' sturdiest standard arm...

and defuse the sucker in one fell Dremel swoop...!"

...this is one helluva way to learn smithin'...
SittingMooseShaman

Next

Return to Revolvers