>
Board Index Wield Your Weapon Revolvers

Ruger Single Six Reviews

Classic design and rock-solid reliability. Discuss everything from a vintage Cowboy-action to a snub-nose .38 special.

Postby ninjatoth » Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:54 pm

I just bought one of these NIB,a blued 4.6" barrel,and it has been nothing but fantastic.The quality to this gun is second to none and worth all of the $410 I paid for it.I have put about 1500 rounds through it with only about 2 failures to fire,and I don't blame them on the gun,it was the Remington ammo I was using.I had a Taurus 94 .22 before I got this gun,and this gun makes the Taurus seem like junk.
ninjatoth

Postby 9mmLassiter » Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:26 pm

A lovely little gun. Very fun to shoot and extremely accurate. I am not that good a shot, really. I hadn't shot it in a long while, pulled it out at 15 feet and shot a 2" group with the first three shots. It's the perfect range/target gun.
9mmLassiter

Postby Painter55 » Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:12 pm

This is a sweet little shooter! Mine is impeccably machined with no flaws. I love the wood grips. A bit heavy, so recoil is nonexistent, and it proved highly accurate. It is quite easy to load and unload. I ran 200 rounds through it at the range with no jams or hangups. The adjustable site is great, but mine has the black front site, so spotting a black target was difficult. The gun was fairly dirty after the shoot out, but cleaning was easy. I did, however, have some difficulty reinstalling the cylinder. I had to wiggle the pin around a bit to line everything up, but otherwise GREAT GUN.

PS: I painted the front site white, and this made it easier to do business.
Painter55

Postby neverenough » Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:33 am

The front sight ramp "paint" is a definite assist. (I use the "Bright Sights" paint). Especially when the eyesight is crap up close!

The single six is another fun gun and as Will Carry stated in another post, a great revolver for wounding cans!!

neverenough
....If you happen to find dog poop on your boot, DO NOT kick the dog....think it through for a moment.....
neverenough

Postby neverenough » Sat Jul 17, 2010 12:50 pm

Hey, Will Carry....Sounds as though your new "S.S." is gonna be fun! With the 9.5" barrel, you may do well more than wound the cans....probably will end their career...!

Have fun,

neverenough
....If you happen to find dog poop on your boot, DO NOT kick the dog....think it through for a moment.....
neverenough

Postby Will_Carry » Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:30 pm

I bought this Ruger Single Six at the gun show. It's blued with 9.5 inch barrel. The more I shoot this pistol the more I like it. I think it must be the long barrel. It's long enough that I can focus my eyes on the front sight. It shoots tight little groups at the range with 22 magnums. It's almost like shooting a rifle, almost. This may be my favorite pistol to shoot targets with. It's slow to reload but that just makes you savor the shots you take and it keeps you from wasting ammo.
Will_Carry

Postby SittingMooseShaman » Sat Sep 11, 2010 10:56 am

... I have the 50th Anniversary commemerative

ol' west model w/6" bbl... an' 'at's exactly

why I like this piece... there's just

that certian sumthin' with th' ol' tyme

re-loadin an' squeezin' off single-action

shots which stands only in th' experience

an' never can quite be put 'n' ta words...
SittingMooseShaman

Postby Tinmancr » Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:25 pm

my dad had one I shot it couple of times, never could hit anything with it.

the grips are way too small gun is real light and the barrel on his is too short it's 3.5-4.

it does use the legendary albeit miniaturized ruger single action, in a bigger frame great for comboy shooting.

in smaller hands it is pretty accurate, and can shoot 22lr or mag probable shorts and longs too.

I like my 22/45 it is leaps and bounds a better gun more ammo more accurate less recoil easier to shoot.

not to mention a scope rail just in case works great with dot sights.

oh yeah his is really old and does not weigh near 40ozs mb half.

I would rate 4.5 but can't
Tinmancr

Postby SEMPERFIDELUS8403 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:05 pm

I recently purchased a Ruger Super Single Six convertible model made in the 1988 vintage. This gun is extremely fun! Mine came with the matching .22 mag cylinder. With both cylinders this gun can fire .22 shorts, .22 longs, .22 long rifles, and .22 Winchester magnums. Have also read of people firing Winchester Rim Fires (WRF). My gun seems to like the Federal Bulk packs over Remingtons. Have only had the opperotunity to fire a couple Mags so that is unknown at this point. This gun, as with all Rugers, is built like a tank. This is definatly a keeper.
SEMPERFIDELUS8403

Postby Will_Carry » Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:38 am

I the grips are too small for you, they do make over sized grips for it. I had over sized walnut grips on the Single Six I owned in the 80s and it really changed the character of the pistol.

I am thinking about ordering some after market grips for mine, as soon as my budget will allow. Thanks for posting SEMPERFIDELUS and thanks for your service to our country.
Will_Carry

PreviousNext

Return to Revolvers