>
Board Index Wield Your Weapon Revolvers

Smith & Wesson Model 325 Reviews

Classic design and rock-solid reliability. Discuss everything from a vintage Cowboy-action to a snub-nose .38 special.

Smith & Wesson Model 325 Reviews

Postby g4l » Sat Dec 12, 2009 3:46 pm

I have the Clint Smith designed Thunder Ranch edition (Pic#2). I really love this gun, it comes from the S&W Performance Shop, so it has some cool features, like a trigger job and gold bead front sight. The trigger is silky smooth, helping Me achieve great groups in double action. The gun comes "rail ready", but, unfortunately, did not come with the rail, leaving Me disappointed, considering S&W should of thrown the thing in on a revolver priced well over $1000.

This gun is designed to use .45 acp w/ full moon clips. I tried some .45 auto rim, but found the firing pin was leaving light indents on the primers. I read that other owners were having S&W install a longer firing pin to alleviate the problem, but I haven't changed Mine over yet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYghKoWgMnE
g4l

Postby Retiredwheelgunner » Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:09 am

I have the 325PD 4" with a green bead front sight and I use RIMZ instead of the steel moonclips for loading .45ACP, no demooning tool is required.

Due to recoil I took the wood grips off and used the optional rubber grips supplied by Smith.

This DA/SA revolver is a good shooter and cleans up real well .When you load the RIMZ the flat side is toward the cylinder if not the cylinder will not close.This was not explained to me but I figured it out . A fine addition to my collection .
Retiredwheelgunner

Postby neverenough » Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:14 pm

hey, retiredwheelgunner....If you ever consider a laser addition to your 325, the Crimson Trace Laser Grips give you the same recoil benefit as the Hogue grips supplied by Smith.

The 325PD is a sweet revolver! I have the 329PD (lasered) and love it. The girlfriend says, how the hell can you love a gun?! I tell her, it's easy.

neverenough
....If you happen to find dog poop on your boot, DO NOT kick the dog....think it through for a moment.....
neverenough

Postby g4l » Thu Jul 08, 2010 6:27 pm

I've just e-mailed S&W about the light primer strikes. I took My TR325 to the range the past two days and had occasional ftf's with many ammo brands. I love the gun, but this is a major problem!

Does Glock make a revolver?lol
g4l

Postby g4l » Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:51 pm

S&W instructed Me to tighten the "strain screw" all the way. When I checked, the screw was out quite a bit, (backed out from recoil?). Anyway, the trigger is noticeably heavier now, and I'll report the results when I take it to the range.
g4l

Postby Retiredwheelgunner » Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:09 am

I picked up one of the 1917 US Property Smith&Wesson 45ACP nickle plated revolver with pearl handled grips in 90% condition.

I had to have it I cleaned it up and took it to the local range these 94 year old Smiths are still good shooters .
Retiredwheelgunner

Postby edco » Wed May 11, 2011 3:35 pm

Just picked up the Thunder Ranch version last week. I will wait till I have more experience with the gun to rate it.

My primary purpose for this gun is home defence. I already have a Sig P220 Carry and I liked the idea of adding a wheel gun in the same caliber.

Here are my initial thoughts:

1. My first interaction with S&W customer service left a lot to be desired. They were very nice but clueless about the gun. No tool or instructions came with the gun to install the Tac Rail and their service rep was unable to tell me how and which tool to use. It was determined by my FFL Dealer that a "star key" was necessary and that worked very well.

2. I put on the rail a Streamlight TLR-3 from OpticsPlanet that cost $75. It went on easy and is very bright. The Tac Rail really enhances the use of this gun for home defense.

3. Metal Moon Clips are a pain in the a$$. It is not too hard to get them loaded but "demooning" them stinks. Before investing in a moon clip tool or a "demooner" i decided to try RIMZ.

4. Rimz 625 polymer moon clips are the bomb. I had read a lot about these on the web and I though I would give them a try. At $1.20 a piece they are inexpensive. The ammo easily clips in and the spent casings just as easily clip out. The only downside is your fingers get covered in residue when unclipping the spent casings.

5. Shooting a revolver in DA is a lot different than shooting a semi in SA. This is my first revolver. I have only shot one before a handful of times. At first I was all over the paper at 7 - 10 yards which is my normal practice distance. As soon as I cocked the gun into SA, I was very accurate. Maybe more accurate than with any other gun I have shot. Unfortunately, I only improved marginally in DA. Hopefully, I will get a chance to get a lesson from a defensive handgun intsructor soon to work on shooting a revolver in DA.
edco

Postby neverenough » Wed May 11, 2011 5:12 pm

Hey, edco......Great choice! As I mentioned somewhere before, SWEET revolver!

The Double Action mode is designed for "no time to mess around" commence fire. Of course the D/A also serves as an automatic safety. Little hard to accidently fire off a round, when it takes @12 lbs of loooong trigger pull to drop the hammer.

But...now in Single Action, you have that nice, smooth, crisp trigger release of a quality Smith. Best of both worlds. Your 325 is there for you when you have the desire to get off a well placed group or should you need it to defend yourself (and/or family) in an instant.

Sounds like it is being setup nicely with the TLR-3...Good Pick.

neverenough
....If you happen to find dog poop on your boot, DO NOT kick the dog....think it through for a moment.....
neverenough

Postby edco » Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:13 pm

Ran 100 rounds of PMC Brass thru today with the help of my son. Still not nearly as accurate in double action as in single action but I am getting better. In single action this gun is crazy accurate. I am sure that with more practice I will become competent enough in double action. I practiced double taps today and I consistently got both body shots in the center body mass of a standard silhouette at 7 yards. Unfortunately, my head shot followups, although close, were not always on target.

BTW, RIMZ 625 polymer moon clips are the bomb!!!
edco

Postby edco » Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:47 pm

edco

Return to Revolvers