>
Board Index Wield Your Weapon Revolvers

Taurus Model 650 Reviews

Classic design and rock-solid reliability. Discuss everything from a vintage Cowboy-action to a snub-nose .38 special.

Taurus Model 650 Reviews

Postby Chefjb » Sun Sep 24, 2006 7:57 pm

Man I hate to do this, because I really do like Taurus I own a few of them. But I just bought this piece NIB, took it to the range dropped like 50 rounds through it and then it just froze solid couldnt open the chamber couldnt fire a round. The guy at the range was able to help me clear it. So I figure let me take it home clean it up, buy some better the good ammo to try through it. Well today at the range it fires the 1st five shots with no problem, reloaded and right after the 1st shot went off the whole thing froze again, barrel, trigger and all. I had to get the same guy at the range to help me unload it so I can send it back. So far this gun sucks.
Chefjb

Postby jaturner01 » Sat Apr 14, 2007 1:31 pm

jaturner01

Postby wiggins » Wed Jun 27, 2007 2:49 am

I purchased a blued 650 for concealed carry. I was looking for a J-frame .38spl so I am only going to shoot +P out of my gun. It is very accurate for what it is. I shouldn't have any reliability problems.
wiggins

Postby rizzite » Sat Dec 20, 2008 3:00 pm

rizzite

Postby rizzite » Sat Jun 20, 2009 11:35 pm

Hit or miss I suppose. I got one brand new and have had other problems... When firing 357 ammo the primers expand past the case. This causes pressure between the cylinder and frame making it difficult or impossible to rotate past the first chamber. This has only happened when firing 357 as when I fire 38 special I have no complaints as it has fired several hundred rounds without malfunction. It does shoot very low and needs to have the gunsmith down the front sight some which is reasonable, and as expected in most guns designed for concealed carry the sights are not the best. If it actually worked I would give it 4 bullets, and take it to the gunsmith to take down the front sight some and paint it orange for low light conditions. I am now out the money for shipping and without a ccw for however long it takes Taurus to fix the paperweight they sold me.
rizzite

Postby rizzite » Sun Jun 21, 2009 8:30 pm

I sent my Taurus M85UL back for repairs almost three months ago and have heard nothing from them. I understand they will repair or replace the gun, but if they would make it right the first time...........
rizzite

Postby mojozulu » Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:13 am

used to carry either a glock 27 .40 S&W or ruger sp101 .357 mag as my pocket piece. the glock is always a reliable shooter but i was concerned about magazine freeze and the sp101 is a great gun but i had to have a gunsmith bob the hammer to prevent snags. picked up a used taurus 650 at a local gun shop. fired it, couldn't be happier. bought one for my wife. best backup/emergency hardware to date. wish the ruger LCR was chambered in .357 mag. i'll just have to wait and keep my fingers crossed.
mojozulu

Postby papadukes1 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 4:08 pm

I had the same problem as chefjb did. this gun did the same exact thing. I thought it might be the ammo, but it was brand name. This gun was bought brand new, and only had a few rounds through it. I took it home and tried to clean and lube it, and the whole wheel assembly fell out on the bench. I took it back to where I purchased it, and the dealer is sending it back to taurus. The dealer had never seen anything like it, and neither did I. I don't know how I will make out in this whole thing, but if you are thinking of buying this model gun [ 651ss2 ] maybe you should think again, buyer beware. I will say I was amazed at how accurate it shot ,for a two inch gun. I know if I ever have to use it in defense. I'll hit what i aim at if the wheel does'nt fall out.
papadukes1

Postby FryGuy011 » Sun Aug 14, 2011 2:48 am

I know this gun doesn't shoot well with 357 rounds but can it handle 38+p rounds allright?
FryGuy011

Postby Will_Carry » Sun Aug 14, 2011 5:49 pm

A .357 in a snub nose is never pleasant to shoot. The great thing about the .357 is that it shoots so many different loads.

The 650 should shoot +P ammo all day long. Even some of the modern 38 special standard pressure ammo is good in a snubby. I would recommend +P ammo as a steady diet for your 650.
Will_Carry

Next

Return to Revolvers