>
Board Index Wield Your Weapon Revolvers

Uberti 1873 Cattleman Reviews

Classic design and rock-solid reliability. Discuss everything from a vintage Cowboy-action to a snub-nose .38 special.

Postby harleymanrox » Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:18 am

Uberti POS. Sat March 5th my friend and I bought two new Ubertis and two boxes of factory winchester ammo 225gr target ammo at cabelas at the same time. He bought a dragoon and I bought a regulator both in a 45 LC cal. Today Sunday Mar 6th we took both guns to the range. I fired 7 rounds when the cylinder pawl broke in my regulator and the cylinder would not rotate. My friend's "Also New" Uberti exploded in his hand. He fired 5 rounds and between a couple of the shots the cylinder did not lock so the timing was off and firing pin hit beside primer thinking it was just acting up being new and needed some break in he decided to fire the last round. He thumbed it back and then squeezed the trigger and the cylinder litterally blew into two peices. One half was trapped in the gun and the other half was not found and it ruined the frame, litterally bent everything on the gun except the barrel. The barrel was clear but the shot sounded almost like a dud when it went off. What I feel like happend is some how the cyl was not locked and it rotated with the recoil. The hole in the target was not round but rather jagged. I think as the gun discharged the bullet was momentarily stuck and all the pressure was trapped in the cylinder before the bullet came apart and part went down the barrel causing the deformed hole in the target and the rest of the cylinder and bullet went who knows where.lol We are both in Law Enforcement, and are extreamly familure with hand guns and each have other single action revolvers so its not a lack of knowledge of how these guns operate its that the guns just SUCK.lol We are so lucky no one on the line was injured by the flying gun parts. It was a good lesson for the kids when we told them to stand 10 feet behind whoever was shooting. They kept asking why???? Now they know....... I just hope the store will take them back. Bought them Sat and both broke sunday. lol I could not believe it. I will never buy a Uberti product ever.
harleymanrox

Postby willys46cj2a » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:05 am

harleymanrox, please keep us informed of what occurs now as you look for Uberti to do the right thing. Very glad no one was injured, this is way irregular. Retired law enforcement here and concerned about safety of Uberti to say nothing of just how the -ell did this happen that two guns bought the same day same manufacturer go down?
willys46cj2a

Postby harleymanrox » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:09 am

I sure will, we are going to work on a resolution today and see how it all turns out. I am just in shock that two guns failed like that. We only bought the Uberti after doing so research into the reliability and safety of them as he and I had never owned a Uberti pistol. The had mixed reviews but over all people seemed satified and the guns only had a few minor problems that had been mentioned. He and I have been partners for years on cases and etc and we had to beg our wives for the money as they always say, "Dont you have enough guns already"? to which we replied NO.lol So needless to say not only did our guns fall apart but the wives got the last laugh when we told them what happened.lol I will let everyone know what the final outcome is.
harleymanrox

Postby harleymanrox » Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:56 am

Update, We took both guns back to Cabela's to see if they might take the guns back and then they could deal with Uberti. Cabelas refunded our money no problem, they took good care of us. As for how Uberti will work with Cabelas I cant say, but the manager stated he wished they would staop carrying the Uberti line of firearms because of this and several other issues???? With that said I am done with Uberti.lol
harleymanrox

Postby P-3 » Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:08 pm

Just got back from Tanners Sport and Gun Shop in Jameson, Pa.

Purchased the Cattleman Hombre for $250.00 and 6% tax out the door. The owner said that they have a special pricing incentive for Uberti. They have close to 650 in inventory. Check them out also on Gunbroker .com

Mine feels great in the hand and range time is coming up. She cleaned oiled and ready to go.

This is my first big bore single action. Purchased a 22 cal Heritage Arms Rough Rider just for plinking and getting used to the single action platform.

I will try to follow up with range report.
P-3

Postby epwrangler » Sat Sep 24, 2011 11:34 pm

I have a new hombre in .357. Wow! I was shocked at how well this thing shoots. Was using 158 gn 357s .

Fantastic. I love it.
epwrangler

Postby epwrangler » Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:53 pm

Well, Tanner's got $250 of my money too now as I oredered my second and this one is a 45 colt. Now I guess I will have to spend more for a holster and belt. Man, I love these guns. I especially like what theWolff spring kit does for one.
epwrangler

Postby epwrangler » Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:45 am

Shot the new 45 yesterday fir the first itme.. I am waiting for a spring kit and a 45acp conversion cylinder to make it cost less to shoot this puppy. I load tons of acp brass for 1911s so it was a no brainer to order the cylinder.
epwrangler

Postby epwrangler » Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:21 pm

Got the springs changed the other day and it makes a very nice gun. While I was at it I did some polishing on internals and it 4 clicks beautifully. Shoots well too. today my 45acp cylinder came late in the day but, I just got it fitted and it looks very good. I will brave the cool windsin the morning asnd go shoot it the first time. I am really looking forward to this. I hope some more gun nuts post on here too.
epwrangler

Postby epwrangler » Fri Nov 11, 2011 4:06 pm

I now have a Uberti 1873 in 45 Colt and 45 ACP. It is great to own and shoot. I did put a spring set in it as well as fitting the 45ACP cylinder.
epwrangler

PreviousNext

Return to Revolvers