>
Board Index Wield Your Weapon Revolvers

Ruger LCR Lightweight Carry Revolver Reviews

Classic design and rock-solid reliability. Discuss everything from a vintage Cowboy-action to a snub-nose .38 special.

Postby Gloc9mm » Sat Oct 22, 2011 1:38 pm

Will, Is a Laser any good for further disances with that Revolver?? You are the first I know that has used a Laser on a 2", so I'm interested in knowing about farther distances.

At 20 feet I have no problem pointing and shooting with mine, but farther becomes a bit more of a problem.

Thank's, Bob
Gloc9mm

Postby Will_Carry » Sun Oct 23, 2011 10:51 am

One thing about the CT laser. It will not make you a better shot. You still have to use good technique. When I was shooting it single action, with the laser dialed in, I was getting 3 inch groups at 21 feet. Double action I was getting 6 inch groups with the odd round hitting out. I never shot much over 21 feet with it and since it was a Taurus M85 (POS) I sold it with the grips. Those groupings were as good as my other handguns at that time in my shooting career.

If you drink too much coffee before you go to the range, your laser will look like a Pink Floyd concert. It will tell on you if you use bad techingue or are nervous.

I keep a CT laser guard on my Glock 19 now but that's the only carry pistol I have equipped with CT lasers. It's my night time carry gun.

I have them on my 1911 and use them for training, but I never carry the 1911.

If I still carried a snubby I would want to CT grips on it, with the understanding that batteries fail. If you had to draw your weapon and fire quickly would you hesitate while you looked for the red dot? How long would it take you to realize that battery was dead? How long THEN would it take you to aim using the regular sights?
Will_Carry

Postby nassaublue » Sun Oct 23, 2011 10:51 am

Glock 9:

Does it come with a breath mint?
nassaublue

Postby tigwelder56 » Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:03 am

Just a quick comment regarding lasers on short barrels. I felt the desire to spend $100 bucks recently, so I bought a Laser Max laser that fits my NAA .22 LR Mini Revolver! ( I know, I know...) It's a great little blaster and the tiny laser makes it even more fun to shoot. It's no Ruger LCR but it works and works well!! Here's a look at it http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm?contentID=productDetail&prodID=DY210243&src=tpSlrCatHm
NRA Life Member GOA Member
NAGR Member DAV Life Member Oathkeepers Member
Help Save America, have your liberal spayed or neutered!

Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is one well armed sheep contesting the vote! --The Sheep
tigwelder56

Postby Gloc9mm » Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:17 am

Well, as I mentioned I have no problem with basic accuracy just simply pointing and shooting at 20 feet. (Muscle Mem) Not that I'm placing 3" groups, but I look at it as defense only, and I can easilly hit near enough to kill just where I'm pointing, not even aiming the gun. If the laser doesn't improve anything beyond 20', to be honest I see no reason to bulk up the gun. (Or spend the money)

I can see Tig putting one on a .22, it's a fun gun to plink with and the laser can make it even more fun to play with.

But a 22 is not something I personally would ever carry and defense is my main thinking when I purchase any weapon.

Maybe I'm just old school, but I feel we could come to depend a little too much on gimmicks that might not work if ever needed. If it really helps fine, but to just add it because it's the "latest and greatest" I can't see. I'd rather spend that money at the Range myself.

Thank's

Bob

LOL Nassau!
Gloc9mm

Postby nassaublue » Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:49 am

Glock 9mm:

Glad you appreciate my humor there. What is the difference between this and a J frame?

Nassau
nassaublue

Postby Gloc9mm » Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:59 am

Hi, I got it! lol

To be honest I really don't know except for the fact that I did own a S&W 38 at one time that was called a "J Frame". Personally I don't keep up with this stuff as much as I should, but I am sure Tig knows the answer.

Bob
Gloc9mm

Postby ding2134 » Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:25 pm

I am in the market for a compact revoler. I was given a Jennings j22 automatic pistol and enjoy carrying it, however it is far from a reliable pistol. I believe i am going to get the lcr, an airweight, or a taurus ultralite. I have found a 357 ultralite for $275 and am leaning towards it. However I like the feel of the over best. I like the exposed hammer of the ultralite and airweight but it is not a necessity. I see people mentioning the 357 round in the lcr. Is that safe? I would like the option of shooting 357 or 38s from the ultralite I found buy may spend more for the lcr if it is safe to shoot 357 as well. The person selling the Taurus I found states he has heard of a over exploding on someone attributing it to it's polymer design. Also I would like to know what the difference is with +p rounds and what revolvers they are safe in. Thank you for any input you have for me and for your time.
ding2134

Postby bullgumbo » Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:49 pm

Ding, best advice is to fire them before buying them. I have fired the airweight and found even the kick from 38 specials to be extremely uncomfortable. One shot and it my hand was sore, whereas I own and shoot three 40 cals, three 45 cals, a 44 mag and full size 357 comfortably. On the other hand, the LCR for 357 is comfortable to shoot 38 specials with and not too unmanageable with 357's. I own the 357 LCR - good gun!
bullgumbo

Postby lastrebel » Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:37 am

@ding I like my s/w body guard 38 special .+p means more presure .But plz make sure a 38 special is + p ratedor not it should say on side or in owners man .If not sure call the company .if not rated do not use it .The body guard 38 is rated+ p hope helps ...
lastrebel

PreviousNext

Return to Revolvers