>
Board Index Wield Your Weapon Revolvers

Ruger LCR Lightweight Carry Revolver Reviews

Classic design and rock-solid reliability. Discuss everything from a vintage Cowboy-action to a snub-nose .38 special.

Postby Will_Carry » Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:12 am

Glocks are safe. You cannot shoot it unless your finger is on the trigger. But I highly recommend a J frame revolver for a first handgun. They offer everything you need and nothing you don't need. Get one in .357 magnum if you can. That way you can shoot 38 special, 38 special +P and .357 magnums, in the same gun.

Also, learn gun safety before you buy. The four points of safely operating a handgun and the three places a handgun should always be. Good luck Nassaublue. I'm just going to call you Funky. :) Funky Nassau!

A manual safety, this is my humble opinion, does not make a gun safer. In some cases it has made the weapon less safe. I local man recently shot himself in the head showing his girlfriend how the safety worked. The only thing is he got confused and actually flipped the safety off, pointed it at his head and pulled the trigger, now he's dead.

Rule number one: Never point a firearm at anything you do not want to destroy. If he had safety training like I suggested he would be alive today.
Will_Carry

Postby Gloc9mm » Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:16 am

IMHO, There should be some sort of safety requirement for those purchasing their first handgun, or any weapon for that matter. We need a permit to learn to drive a car, why not all else just as dangerous in inexperienced hands??
Gloc9mm

Postby GOANRA » Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:11 pm

I vehemently oppose any and all 'requirements', regulations, ordinances, restrictions and laws regarding good citizens and their firearms.

Jails and lawsuits exist for those who lack Common Sense or personal responsibility.

Darwin takes care of those who climb giant cliffs, fall out of fishing boats, etc.
NRA Lifer
GOA member
Retired LEO
Μολὼν λαβέ
If gun laws worked; criminals would obey them.
Join the NRA here: http://home.nra.org/#/nraorg
GOANRA

Postby snke_doctr » Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:56 pm

will_carry;

Amen to that!
snke_doctr

Postby Gloc9mm » Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:58 pm

Your opposition is your own right to an opinion, just as I have the same right to mine. However your opinion does not help those who have been hurt and/or killed by the many out there that have had absolutely no prior experience, yet still purchased firearms and used them in a mistaken, inexperienced manner. Using my comparison should we also let just anyone behind the wheel of a car just because they may want to do so?? Or own weapons at any age, psycological condition etc??? I am talking about a simple statement of basic profecientcy, not some Gov't run program that infringes upon people's Rights.

Take Will's story as an example.

All your way achieves is placing stupid people in Jail and making Atty's richer. It helps no one with an errant round inside their body!

Let's be proactive, not ignorant to this problem!
Gloc9mm

Postby Will_Carry » Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:23 pm

This may get off subject but safety should always come first.

I have to agree with my brother from Mississippi. Safety training is a must for everyone who owns a firearm. That is one of the things the NRA has stressed again and again.

The anti-constitution, anti-self protection, people never seem to say anything about gun safety. It is because they do not want anyone to know that guns CAN be utilized safely. All of the negligent shootings only fuel the anti-gun people's fire.

Yet nobody who is trained will ever have a negligent discharge of a firearm.

Funky! Get yourself a good J frame. Then you will want a Glock or Springfield XD. Don't buy a Taurus unless money is in short supply, then buy a Rossi. Ruger makes the best revolver for the money. Smith and Wesson makes a good one too.

For you Funky:

http://www.nrahq.org/education/guide.asp

The three places a gun should always be is

1) In a safe place. This means that whether it is one your hip or by your nightstand or locked up in your closet. A gun should always be in a safe place. A place where nobody can get hurt by it.

2) Pointed at the threat. When there is danger a gun can be taken out of it;s safe place and pointed in the direction of the threat.

3) actively engaged with the threat. This is the last place a gun should be. Only after everything else has failed, should the gun be here.
Will_Carry

Postby Gloc9mm » Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:27 pm

Thank You Will! It is all just basic common sense!
Gloc9mm

Postby nassaublue » Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:31 pm

Funky Nassaublue - Have heard the song Nassau's Gone Funky since I was a kid. In any case, may go with the S &W J frame in single and double action as its hard to get an accidental discharge when a gun is in single action mode - though I maybe able to manage it. If I do go for the Ruger, do you know of any places where I can get a deal on with the CT lazer sights? Otherwise, I may have to use the fricking thing for a club my aim is so bad...
nassaublue

Postby Gloc9mm » Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:52 pm

Nassau, Laser sights for a 2" gun?? It's not very accurate at any distance, It's kind of an "up close and personal" type of a weapon. (20 feet or less)

I personally have just never heard of anyone putting a laser on a 2" Barrel. Why not get a Pistol as your main carry?

There are a few that are even more concealable with longer barrels at the same or larger calabre. (Beretta PX-4sc - 9mm/40)
Gloc9mm

Postby Will_Carry » Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:17 am

I had a Crimson Trace grips on my snub nose revolver. It really made the pistol a formidable weapon. Do a google search for the Crimson Trace part number for a J frame, LG-105, and see what kind of prices come up. I ordered mine on line.

The Crimson Trace laser grip is a great training tool and works well at night. In sunlight it's very hard to see. Watch the Crimson Trace videos on You Tube.

It the dark a snub nosed revolver is a contact weapon, you have to danger close to use it effectivley. With a Crimson Trace laser you can reach out, in the dark, and touch someone 21 feet away.
Will_Carry

PreviousNext

Return to Revolvers