>
Board Index Wield Your Weapon Pistols

Sig Arms P226 Reviews

Discuss and review everything about the pistol, from the original 1911, to the modern compact semi-automatic.

Postby MO.Shooter » Sun Dec 03, 2006 2:57 pm

P226r .40 s&w below
MO.Shooter

Postby bcjwriter » Fri Dec 08, 2006 3:35 pm

He Guys, I just picked up a gently used P226R DAK in .40. Ive carried a Glock for over fourteen years, so going DAK was an easier transition. The gun came with five hi cap mags, Night Sights, and he Nitron finish. In combat courses it is flawless, and at 7 yards, a full magazine leaves a very satisfying, small hole.

Does anyone know the lifespan of these weapons in .40. (It seems to have the same frame as the 9mm, so I was curious if it had a shorter service life.)

I love how this gun feels, and may switch to it as my primary duty gun (I just switched to a Kimber 1911 in .45 so I dont want to keep switching)

I just sent my P-228 (the second gun I ever bought as a cop in 1992) back to sig for their service package and for refinishing.

Good info on the site guys, keep the stuff coming.
bcjwriter

Postby siggin-it » Sat Dec 09, 2006 12:49 pm

Has anyone had a chance to shoot one of the new SAS (sig-anti-snag) series?? I am looking at the p226 SAS in .357 chambering. Ive shot a couple p229s(base) in the .357 and was very happy with the over-all shootability of the gun. Im thinking the slightly longer barrell of the p226 should yield tighter groups.... but I have yet to talk to anyone who has actually shot a SAS series SIG
siggin-it

Postby locknload » Mon Dec 11, 2006 1:14 pm

The barrel lengths are so close... one would think that any appreciable increase in accuracy would be do more to the increase in sight radius (distance between front and rear sights) than barrel length.
locknload

Postby locknload » Mon Dec 11, 2006 1:17 pm

Just out of curiosity has anyone fired a DAK trigger head to head against the standard DA/SA?
locknload

Postby bchibb » Sat Jan 13, 2007 1:35 pm

I am looking for a holster and factory composite grips for the X5, but have not found a source. Anyone know a source?
bchibb

Postby bcjwriter » Sat Jan 13, 2007 2:57 pm

For locknload,

I have both, and I find the DAK is the best DAO I have ever used. I am used to that from years with the Glock, and its superior to the Glock Safe action in feel. In the end it comes down to what youre used to. If you are used to and like the tradional double action, you will want that. If you like DAO, you will love the DAK. If youre a new shooter, I like the DAK for simplicity. I hope that helps, and good luck.
bcjwriter

Postby metalmachine » Sun Jan 21, 2007 1:48 pm

hearing that 226r stainless is not in production aside from x5. Can anyone confirm. SIG took it off their web catalog.
metalmachine

Postby Artie_runs » Sun Feb 04, 2007 8:52 pm

I FINALLY got my P226R in 40 S&W for $813 with tax and night sights and as of this post have put 400rd of Remington UMC and Winchester 180gr FMJ through it. My wife had one feed failure which may have been due to her grip or an old mag I was using (more on that to come). Shots are consistent when I do what Im supposed to, and even a fast clip using point-shooting techniques (you should really check this theory out) put a whole lot of mortal holes in Mr. Paper out to 50 feet. The weight is good and with a decent grip it wont give you any problems. My wife shot about 40 rounds and thinks it will take her some getting used to (and a developing a stronger grip) because it has more power than the .38 Ruger shes accustomed to. I have no complaints about how it shoots. One thing Im worried about is the finish on the innards. It seems to be losing the blue where the slide rubs the barrel, outside the chamber, and inside the hammer after only 3 cleanings (initial and after both range sessions). Maybe Im being too fastidious? My concern is more about proper function and preservation than cosmetics, as all of the outside areas are impeccable, especially the Nitron-coated slide. Oh, about that magazine. The slide would not lock back after the last round was spent, which seems to be because the plastic follower is missing a small tab that the other 3 new magazines all have. It doesnt look to be worn down but rather just an older design. Make sure that you compare the followers on the mags which come with the gun with those on mags you get seperately (it is pretty easy to tell if the tab is there or not). In this case, the two mags I acquired from a gunshow for under $20 (vs. $30-$40 for new retail) are still fine for the range or if I wont need to reload and keep shooting. I really love this gun. For me, this was intended to be a good first semi-auto range gun and all-around personal/home defense weapon. I really researched and considered it, and shot lots of rentals in other makes, models and calibers. Its too big for CCW, but that isnt an option for me. After shooting Glocks, XDs, M9s and smaller Sigs, this is my favorite semiauto and Im really, really pleased to own one. It fits my hands much better with the Hogue grips ($21.95) but the stock grips werent bad. If the stock grips bother you dont let them be the reason you dont get the gun, just buy the Hogues! Bottom line is that this is an all-business, well-built war gun and in .40 it will certainly do whatever you need it to do.
Artie_runs

Postby sudburyrock » Sat Feb 17, 2007 6:20 pm

I have recently purchased Sig P-226 X-5. It is flawless. I am having difficulty finding a holster to carry this gun. Having tried this pistol in an Uncle Mikes kydex holster made for the P-226 model, it appears that the trigger guard of the X-5 is slightly wider left to right than the standard P-226. Can anyone advise me if this is the case and if so, what holsters will fit this excellent firearm? Thanks
sudburyrock

PreviousNext

Return to Pistols