>
Board Index Wield Your Weapon Pistols

Sig Arms P220 Reviews

Discuss and review everything about the pistol, from the original 1911, to the modern compact semi-automatic.

Postby Havoc » Sat Nov 24, 2007 9:46 pm

I purchased a P220 Elite SAO two toned several months ago and have shot over 400 rounds without a single malfunction. I mostly shoot Magtech ammo. It is a very accurate pistol with excellent trigger action and moderate recoil that allows me to retarget quickly and get off the next round just as accurately. At 25 feet I shot all 8 rounds in less than 3 seconds, about as fast as I could shoot with some consideration for aiming, and shot a 5 inch group in the chest of a small silhouette. I'm not a great shot though, so the pistol is very forgiving. It is also the easiest weapon to clean that I own. It easily breaks down into 4 parts for cleaning purposes.

If you're looking for a quality 45, Sigs are definitely in the top tier for accuracy and overall quality. There are many models of P220s. You get what you pay for and, besides, it is one sexy pistol!

http://www.havvoc.net/images/SigP220Eli ... ne-001.jpg
Havoc

Postby Crabby69 » Tue Dec 04, 2007 4:56 pm

I'm going to start this off by letting everyone know that I am a total newb at hand guns. I've been wanting to get a hand gun for about 2 months but I didn't know what to get. I've been reading, researching and looking at this sight for a month or so to try to figure out what I want to get. My primary use for a gun initally is home protection with some occasional target shooting. My wife has a S&W .38 model 60-4 revolver that she purchased before I met her.

A person that I work with that is very knowledgable about guns has swayed me toward the .40 S&W or .45 ACP calibers for home defense.

I've been at home sick for 2 days and I'm starting to get stir crazy so I decided to sneak up the local firing range to see what they had to offer. Up to this point I've shot only revolvers outdoors. The person at the shooting range was very helpful (the range is Calibers in Greensboro, NC). He handed me a Sig P220 and a Kimber Ultra CL. I went into the range and thought it would be smart to shoot the .38 to get "warmed up" since I haven't shot a gun in 7-8 years. After about 25 or so rounds I was ready for the Sig P220. I have to admit, I was very nervous because I'd never shot an automatic pistol before, only revolvers. I didn't know what to expect. Much to my suprise, and relief, the Sig P220 didn't have as much recoil as the .38 did. After settling down and shooting through a few clips I wanted to try the Kimber out. I shot 2 clips through the Kimber and went back to the Sig. I really enjoyed shooting the Sig and I have decided that the Sig P220 will be my first purchase. I, unfortunately, have to wait until after Christmas before I purchase a gun (wife and I made a deal).

I'm by no means an expert on guns or shooting but I managed to hit 3 head shots in a row from 50 feet my first time ever shooting the gun. If there is anyone else out there considering a gun for the first time I would recommend a Sig P220.
Crabby69

Postby Crabby69 » Sun Dec 09, 2007 12:08 am

Well, I did it. I purchased a P220 Elite Stainless today. That is a very nice looking pistol! The sad thing is that I won't be able to shoot it until Thursday. I'll hold off on rating it until I get to the range to shoot it.
Crabby69

Postby Crabby69 » Fri Dec 14, 2007 5:00 pm

Well, I got to shoot my new P220 Elite. I love it. It's a lot of fun to shoot! I only had time to shoot 100 rounds but I didn't have ANY issues at all. It was totally flawless.

It appears to be accurate too. I'm not going to act like I'm an expert shot by any means but, I was able to hit the bulls eye a pretty good amount of times.

If anyone is thinking of getting one of these I would recommend it.

*Edit*

I added an image of my gun. It's image 7.
Crabby69

Postby Havoc » Sat Dec 22, 2007 9:33 pm

I purchased a P220 Elite SAO two toned several months ago and have shot over 400 rounds without a single malfunction. I mostly shoot Magtech ammo. It is a very accurate pistol with excellent trigger action and moderate recoil that allows me to retarget quickly and get off the next round just as accurately. At 25 feet I shot all 8 rounds in less than 3 seconds, about as fast as I could shoot with some consideration for aiming, and shot a 5 inch group in the chest of a small silhouette. I'm not a great shot though, so the pistol is very forgiving. It is also the easiest weapon to clean that I own. It easily breaks down into 4 parts for cleaning purposes.

If you're looking for a quality 45, Sigs are definitely in the top tier for accuracy and overall quality. There are many models of P220s. You get what you pay for and, besides, it is one sexy pistol!

http://www.havvoc.net/images/SigP220Eli ... ne-001.jpg
Havoc

Postby Crabby69 » Fri Feb 08, 2008 9:58 am

Crabby69

Postby g4l » Sat Feb 09, 2008 3:46 am

I got to fire a few mags through a friends 220 a few days ago, very nice.
g4l

Postby bcjwriter » Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:45 pm

I just bought an early model used P220 (late 80's - early 90's vintage). It has the old style spur hammer and stamped slide with the insert. The rails have no wear on them, and the spring still has the green lube from the factory. The owner said he fired it maybe 50 times. I'm almost afraid to shoot it just because of the condition...but guns are made to be fired. I will report back how it does.

Does anyone out there have any experience with these older models?
bcjwriter

Postby bcjwriter » Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:36 am

Well, shot the P-220, and like everyone else here, I was impressed. I contacted Sig, and they gave the date of manufacture as 1993...for a fifteen year-old gun, it shot like a champ... Once I got used to the double action part of it.

I will definitely keep this one. I heard from a local PD range guy to stay away from the new P-220 mags... they are failing regularly. Track down the older blued ones. Basically before they outsourced them.
bcjwriter

Postby Str8Shooter » Tue Mar 04, 2008 11:26 pm

I bought the P220 brand new about 6 years for $695 and have only put about 50rounds through it but not due to it being anything but a magnificent and reliable pistol. I know it's not possible but I just have too many firearms than what I need or get to use. Although it was only 50 rounds, it has never had a malfunction and is SO easy to disassemble and clean which I do regularly. There can't be another gun that is as solid and flawless as a Sig.

Does anyone know where a good FREE place is I can list it for sale? I'm being forced to sell it since I rarely use it and my arguement that it is perfect for a self defense weapon in the home just isn't flying with the wife. So if anyone is interested in buying or knows where I can list it please let me know however I will be sad to part with it. Thanks
Str8Shooter

PreviousNext

Return to Pistols