>
Board Index Wield Your Weapon Pistols

Sig Arms P220 Reviews

Discuss and review everything about the pistol, from the original 1911, to the modern compact semi-automatic.

Postby Edmondt » Sat Aug 11, 2007 11:19 pm

Well, I got my P-220R in a carry size, have put 200 rounds through it and it is one sweet pistol. Great sights, and as they say, really accurate out of the box.

So far, I'd have to say its a great buy. Got $140 off the list price.
Edmondt

Postby bfl2 » Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:48 pm

I had 750 rounds through my P220 Crimson Trace, when I decided to send it back to Sig for a short trigger and short reset trigger. It took 10 days to get the pistol back and I LOVE the new trigger!! My hand is small and the short trigger brought the trigger back just far enough enabling me to have perfect finger placement. The short reset trigger internal spring is also amazing. Double taps and triple taps are smooth as silk. I was uneasy after I shipped the 220 back to Sig, wondering if I had made a mistake (not having shot a 220 with either change). My fears were put to rest last Saturday, after 300 rounds at the range. I highly recommend the short trigger for smaller hands and the short reset trigger for precise rapid fire!
bfl2

Postby Edmondt » Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:13 am

I let the guy at my gun range, a great shooter, shoot my P-220 last week. At sevey yards, he shot a group that could have been covered by a nickle.

He is a Glock guy, but said my gun was the most accurate he has ever shot.

Pretty good.
Edmondt

Postby jb3108 » Tue Aug 28, 2007 11:37 pm

To be fair, WHEN the P220 I bought would fire, it was dead-on accurate. But don't be totally convinced of the reliability of this gun.

Bought one (brand new, not used) and it jams once every 20 rounds. Cleaned out the gun thoroughly, made sure the recoil spring was installed correctly, even took apart the magazines and cleaned THEM out. Same problem. Tried five different factory magazines in the gun and, still, same problem every time. Gun does not cycle properly in that the next round gets "diagonally" stuck upwards before completely entering the chamber. Sometimes a round isn't stripped off the magazine at all (even though the slide closes). On a lesser note, after the last round on nearly every magazine the slide doesn't lock open.

Here's the worst part: sent the gun back to SIG and they wouldn't fix it. They acknowledge that the gun is thoroughly clean and state that they cannot find any problem with it. Took it back to the range and the same problem kept happening. Even had an instructor with me to tell me if I was doing something wrong; he said I had no problems with my style. Called SIG again and they said that they won't look at the gun again without charging me $200.

Word to the wise: If you buy a SIG and it turns out to be a dud, the company won't do anything to help you. Now I'm stuck with a defective pistol thanks to the worst warranty service I've ever seen.
jb3108

Postby Edmondt » Tue Aug 28, 2007 11:57 pm

Well that is really a terrible story. I can't tell if the worst part is the gun not working, or the horrible reaction to it by SigArms.

On one level, you are REALLY unlucky. Everyone I know who owns a SIG says that its the best, most accurate gun they've ever shot. It definitely deserves its reputation for excellance.

I cannot believe the way they treated you. I would write to the President of the company, tell him the entire story -- and how you have retold it on this forum, and demand a new gun.

I recently got CZ to give me a new RAMI in similar circumstances, you can read about it under the CZ 2075 listing.

Edmond
Edmondt

Postby plastics_guy » Thu Aug 30, 2007 7:22 pm

That is a terrible situation. Has the gun shop where you bought it offered or tried to help in any way? Have you tried various types of bullets? I agree with EdmondT, go up the food chain at SIGARMS. Try to get to the president if possible.

I have an 80's vintage P220 European that I bought about 11 years ago at an estate auction. It was filthy and had all kinds of gouges on it from serious abuse and neglect by the idiot that owned it. To the point though, I've shot thousands of rounds through it of all types and brands and have honestly never had a jam, misfeed, or any other issue with it. Despite all the obvious abuse it received from the previous owner, it is extremely accurate. I'm sad to say, accurate beyond my skills.

A few months ago I finally got around to taking care of those cosmetic issues. I wet stoned and sanded out all the nasty gouges and marks, smoothed the out surfaces by breaking the corners and edges, then bead blasted it and applied 14 coats of cold blue. It honestly came out a thousand times better than I could have dreamed. After it was done though I was having issues getting consistent results and I was worried I thru off the accuracy. But I wasn't sure if it was the pistol or in my head. So I asked my friend, a superb marksman, who had helped me overhaul it to shoot a few mags thru it to help me eliminate shooter error. Other than 1 flyer he put the other 13 rounds into about a 1.25" to 1.5" at about 25 yds. So that was proof enough for me the gun was fine.

A side benefit was that it re-sparked his interest in how accurate the SIG is straight out of the box and got him shooting the one he has in his extensive collection. In fact he has since added 4 or 5 more SIG's to his collection and has had zero issues with any of them.

Only problem I've ever had with SIGARMS customer service is that they no longer offer many of the components for the old European 220's (but neither do the aftermarket guys either) but to their credit they gave me info on where to check for them. Anyone know of where I might find a set of grips for the old European 220? Niles has some but they are like over $200 which is almost as much as I paid for the gun. Way too much for me to spend for a set of grips.
plastics_guy

Postby Bonfyr » Wed Sep 05, 2007 4:23 pm

Hey JB...

Im surprised you had such bad luck with sig service. They were very accomodating to me when I had the same problem.

I bought a Sig p220 this spring. Had the same problem. First day I put thirty rounds through it, gave it to my brother to shoot, and after 2 mags it was jamming in the same fashion. Falure to feed. It got so bad that I was having to feed rounds into the chamber 1 at a time. I called sig not sure if it was the ammo or me or what. I told them I was looking for advice. Their advice to me was print the ups label in my email and send the gun back. I did, and 2 weeks later I had the gun back. Turns out the extractor was bent slightly. ( Could have been something my brother did to it btw. He's a little hard on stuff). Anyway I got the gun back and I've put up to 1000 rounds through it without cleaning just to stress test it. Only happened one time after about 900 rounds. I racked the slide it chambered the next round and put another 100 or so rounds through it. Since then I've probably put another 1000 rounds through it with more regular cleaning, and I've never had another problem. I'd call them back and see if they will check the extractor. Sig was very good to me. I wasn't even looking to send the gun back or anything, and they took care of me. I checked, but I don't still have the rep's name who helped me... Sorry.
Bonfyr

Postby Bonfyr » Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:09 pm

Another note jb. I had some difficulty with my slide not locking back originally too. What I found is that my grip on the gun with two thumbs forward allowed my thumbs to rest on the slide release. When I adjust my grip so my thumbs are down slightly clear of the release I find the slide locks back and I even better, the gun naturally points slightly better. Second there are two catches on the magazine. If you don't push it in hard enough the magazine will stay in the gun, but won't feed bullets into the gun. Don't know if these are the cause of your problems, but it might be something to check if you feel like playing with your sig again.
Bonfyr

Postby jb3108 » Fri Sep 07, 2007 1:48 am

Bonfyr, plastics guy, Edmond: thanks for your insights. About 10 days ago I contacted SIG and managed to get in contact with one of their department heads (incidentally, not the head of customer service). His name was Steve Durham and he listened to my situation. He said that he would contact the head of customer service and have him contact by the end of the next day at the latest.

I am not totally surprised that I haven't heard anything back from anyone with the company. More of the run-around. Terrific.

This is ridiculous now. What does it take? Do I need to fly to New Hampshire and personally walk into the CEO's office just to get my pistol repaired properly? Unreal !!!
jb3108

Postby Edmondt » Fri Sep 07, 2007 8:25 am

My advice is to wait a few days and find out if the contact with Durham results in anything. If not, I'd write a letter to the Present of CZ-USA, tell him your story.

Be sure to include print outs about how this issue has been discussed on this forum. I'll be that gets results.

Edmond
Edmondt

PreviousNext

Return to Pistols