>
Board Index Wield Your Weapon Pistols

Walther P99 QA Reviews

Discuss and review everything about the pistol, from the original 1911, to the modern compact semi-automatic.

Postby 9mmLassiter » Mon May 03, 2010 2:17 pm

I would love to shoot one of these side by side with a PPS. The thinness of the PPS would be great for CC, but I think this would have much better ergos.
9mmLassiter

Postby greenrob » Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:54 pm

I just got my P99c AS .40. If I shake the pistol, it rattles. Does yours? Shouldn't it be silent? Is this a defect?

Second question... any clips that can hold 10 .40s? Obviously the 9mm defaults to 10 in the clip. But how about the .40s? Any other brand clip have 10?

Thanks!
greenrob

Postby outlaw54 » Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:59 pm

I have the P99 in 40 cal and mine doesn't rattle. Walther are very well made and high quality so it should be defect free, but a rattle would be a defect (maybe mag catch is loose or mags are damaged?). Does it rattle with the mag in or out? Mags are usually what can rattle.

As far as the capacity I bought mine back during the AWB so I had the 10's and some aftermarket Walther 10's, but now that AWB has expired they make factory 12's, check Midway USA, Cheaper than dirt, etc. I have never seen a magazine (not a clip :) hold less than 10 for this model weapon??
outlaw54

Postby razr » Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:30 pm

Keep in mind the gun was designed for the German police. Walther Germany lost the contract if I remember correctly. It is a battle gun so the tolerances are loose and are necessary for hostile environments. Same situation as Glocks. It contributes to reliability in feeding and extracting.
razr

Postby greenrob » Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:19 pm

I've written to Walther for their impression of the noise. It seems related to the slide hitting the barrel and not the clip. I have not even fired the pistol yet!

Also, regarding the capacity of the .40, this is the compact version, so the clip defaults to 8. There is an extender that can be purchased, to use the full size P99 clips, but this will likely throw off the balance of the gun.

Thanks to others for your replies and info.
greenrob

Postby stepanig » Sat Oct 09, 2010 4:41 pm

I have just purchased brand new P99 C QA 0.40 caliber and the slide does not go all the way back. As a result it did not want to load the first shell in the chamber. It jammed it. I disassembled the gun several times and on the last reassembly it worked fine. Disassembled it once more and it is "no go" again. I can not even use slide stop on the gun as the slide does not go back all the way. Has anyone encountered this issue on P99 C QA?
stepanig

Postby greenrob » Sun Oct 10, 2010 6:21 pm

@stepanig That is horrible! How about going back to the dealer for some support? In MASS they have a required firing of the pistol prior to allowing it to be sold. Or maybe this is everywhere and done in the factory? Did your's come with a target sheet with multiple shots on it? How much did you pay for yours? Was it used? My AS model was only $555, new, about two weeks ago. The prices are low since there are some competitor models that are stealing the market. As noted in a previous post, mine makes a shaking sound that I am trying to resolve. The dealer is a 30 minute drive from here, so i tried to resolve the issue on this site.
greenrob

Postby greenrob » Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:56 pm

So I called Walther about the shaking noise between the slide and the frame. The customer rep said that this was "normal for this model" and we further estimated that it will not make any noise when holstered. I'm relieved it is normal because I didn't want anything bad to happen while firing live rounds. But on the other hand, at least at this point, I am wondering if this is a quality of a pistol that I really want? I can't imagine that every brand/make/model is going to make similar noise... and how much better it may be to choose a model that does not have this attribute. So I guess what I am saying is that I probably would not have purchased this pistol if I knew it was going to make noise, and you should consider the same thing if you are looking into it. Beyond this slight noise, I like every other aspect though. So I will give it a 4 out of 5 rating.
greenrob

Postby razr » Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:07 pm

What was your criteria for purchasing this pistol? Just curious. Did you order this on line? So you havent fired it either? And yet you gave it a 4 out of 5?

Most guns do have some play unless you purchase a custom 1911, tight as frog's end. And that by no means is a proof of reliability or quality. I think that SW has lowered the quality of Walthers but the play is a charactristic of design nevertheless.
razr

Postby Rez_Duane » Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:47 pm

My QA makes some noise also between the slide and frame. But it has caused no problems. I would like to trade it for a P99DA though. .40 cal if anyone's interested.
Rez_Duane

PreviousNext

Return to Pistols