>
Board Index Wield Your Weapon Pistols

Walther PPK/S Reviews

Discuss and review everything about the pistol, from the original 1911, to the modern compact semi-automatic.

Postby sirgilligan » Mon Nov 27, 2006 2:29 pm

Joe Rapoza,

Field strip your PPK and make sure the ejector spring is not missing. With the gun barrel facing away from you on the left side of the gun with the slide removed there is a small lever with a V shaped spring on the top edge of the lever. If it is missing this may be causing the problem.
sirgilligan

Postby rodeorider » Sun Dec 03, 2006 10:22 am

Colleagues, I am an extensive shooter who decided to try the legendary PPK as a pocket/backup gun. After cleaning the PPK straight out of the box, I brought it to the range for some practice. Shockingly, this gun experienced feed jams on 6/7 rounds using Winchester FMJ. Unbelieveable! After repeated attempts and even different mags, the feed jams persisted. I brought the PPK back to my trusted retailer who themselves tested it. They said this was the worst jamming problem they have ever seen on a new gun. I must say, Smith & Wessons customer service was very good - they offered to pay to have the gun shipped back to Maine for repair. But my retailer is going to give me a full refund and a credit applied to a Sig upgrade. If this is a concealed carry gun for you, you be the judge of my and other shooters experience. I only hope its a pre-S&W Walther! Also - keep this in mind - Walthers only carry a ONE YEAR warranty as opposed to S&W, Springfield, Glock, etc., LIFETIME warranty.
rodeorider

Postby sirgilligan » Sun Dec 03, 2006 8:17 pm

Rodeorider,

I am feeling lucky that mine works so well. Mine is a S&W version type 1. It hasnt had any problems. Did you field strip the gun when you cleaned it new? I was wondering if you had lost the ejector spring and maybe didnt know it. Maybe the gun was a display model and had been field stripped showing it to customers and the spring was lost?

If not then there is some serious quality control issues! I am lucky, mine has been great.

Maybe I will buy a Sig and compare to two straight up.

SirGilligan
sirgilligan

Postby harleydwgmark » Mon Dec 11, 2006 7:34 pm

recently purchased a new (2006) S&W Walther PPK/S...WOW!...an awesome, very accurate liitle pistol with NO feeding/ejection problems whatsoever after 200 rounds fired with any and everything made .380 cal.....the ONLY problem is...i can not fieldstrip this pistol for the life of me! ...pissed me off bigtime...contacted Walther via e-mail with no response...anyone out there know the secret to gettting this thing apart?...much appreciated!
harleydwgmark

Postby nightnurse716 » Mon Dec 11, 2006 8:29 pm

Had the same problem with my gun had to send it back, they said there was a problem with the recoil spring which they adjusted, I can now fieldstrip it.
nightnurse716

Postby aaronrkelly » Thu Dec 14, 2006 7:07 am

I had one of the newer Smith imported Walthers - pure crap.

I couldnt shoot more than 1 magazine without a jam.

Then on round 25 the loaded chamber indicator decided to fly out of the gun....not impressed.
aaronrkelly

Postby bama » Thu Dec 14, 2006 10:57 am

Hi all, I read the posts about jamming problems with the S&W series PPK/S. Mine (bought in 2005) has been ok after:

1) Break in: firing about 300 rounds (6 boxes) .

2) Trying several brands and observing what happened. I settled on Remington FMJ (green/white or yellow box).

I tried the Win. White Box stuff & Sellier and Bellot - had similar FTF issues as posted - all in the break-in period.

Ill experiment some more after a couple hundred more rounds. Until then, Ill stick with the Rem 380. Ive also noticed that the slide is easier to operate now than when new.

For what its worth - I encourage you to give the PPK/S a chance. Clean & oil it. Try different brands. Put only 4-5 rounds in the magazine during break in. Its not like my Taurus PT92, which has fed any brand Ive tried in it since day 1. The PPK/S is a quality firearm.

Respectfully - Bama
bama

Postby bama » Thu Dec 14, 2006 11:04 am

Two additions to the previous post *Forgot something*

1) The first batch of .380 I tried during the break-in included a box of Federal FMJ. I had FTF with that during the break in.

2) I have been cycling the slide and dry-firing using A-Zoom snap caps. I dont know if this has helped during the break-in period, but I think so. When new, it even failed to feed the snap cap occasionally! It does now!

-Bama
bama

Postby HollywoodJose » Sun Dec 17, 2006 5:37 pm

I have a French-Made Manurhin PPK/s. The gun looks pretty and is very accurate...when it doesnt jam. I have tried numerous brands of ammo, and it has bad stove pipe jams. Right now it is at the gunsmith getting the ramp polished. I will follow up when i get it back. Overall I would not recommend this as a primary CCW or house defense weapon. My friend has a brand new Walther PPK/s and his also had many jamming problems. I like the way it looks though, I just hope when I get it back I can actually trust it.
HollywoodJose

Postby consat5 » Mon Dec 18, 2006 6:23 am

smith ppk not the the little larger ppks 1200 rounds without a jam. Its alot slimer than my glock 26 If glock would make a slim line 9mm model then maybe i would consider replacing my ppk as the official carry gun. at 10 yards the glock is not as accurate as the ppk in single action . Im not trying to compare the 2 but others have reported the same or better accuracy which i feel is a false statement. I also have a bersa thunder probably the best 380 for the price .I also have a makarov gun and i have shot many 380 guns,beretta, 380 sig sauer. there is one problem that people dont compare is the size of the walther is smaller in every dimension which is why i carry it over the others especially the beretta 380.kahr is really the only intelligent gun maker to try to make a 380 size gun into a 9mm besides the overly price roughbaugh. every one trys to make a glock 26 size gun or a little larger. I also have a walther german ppk and it is a very nice relic, but comparing it to the smithth model it doesnt feed hollow points as good. yes it is a lot older and the barrel isnt set up for hollow points as the smith is and yes they redesigned that part of the gun also .The smith ppk recoil feels a lot better than the german ppk maybe its just the beaver tail that helps it out or may they did something else. I feel they made the walther style ppk a lot better not just the most noticable feature, which is the beaver tail. The only problems ive had with the gun is the double action is on the horrible side and yes it even feels a little better than the one on the german gun. My second complaint is that when it was new, it was hard to feed the first round. I had to give it a little bit of a push. after a few hundred rounds of ammo it was cured.I only wish that someone made a 380 naa barrel for the ppk. 380 naa nice gun just a little on the smaller size.

consat5

PreviousNext

Return to Pistols