>
Board Index Wield Your Weapon Pistols

Kimber Custom Reviews

Discuss and review everything about the pistol, from the original 1911, to the modern compact semi-automatic.

Postby gunnutz » Fri Oct 20, 2006 10:33 am

ahmen.....
gunnutz

Postby GTS197 » Sat Nov 04, 2006 2:54 am

I have owned several Kimber pistols, all have given me absolute fits and wanted to make me pull my hair out, except for this one. Ive got the Custom TLE II and it has run like an absolute dream! I carry it on duty and have fired thousands of rounds through it. I have not had one malfunction! The accuracy is second to none and I would not hesitate to take this (my) pistol into any hostile enviroment. I feel fortunate that I have gotten one of the good ones.
GTS197

Postby evillabtech » Sat Nov 04, 2006 4:01 am

its a kimber what more can i say after 500 rounds clean it the close tolerance effects it, its that fine of a weapon the best in the 1911 field
evillabtech

Postby gunnutz » Sun Nov 05, 2006 3:17 pm

Im glad you did too!
gunnutz

Postby PIPE » Sun Nov 12, 2006 12:27 pm

I was very disapointed with this guns performance concerning its jamming problem. I thought I was the only one having this problem but after reading other reviews I realized it was a common complaint. All I can say is its a shame that Kimber is asking so much money for a gun that I cant depend on and refuse to carry for protection. It stays at home for the most part.
PIPE

Postby gunnutz » Sun Nov 12, 2006 10:35 pm

I agree, traded mine in on a s&w 10 shot 22 revolver. I carry a Charter 44 mag. revolver no miss fires there!
gunnutz

Postby kuma » Mon Nov 13, 2006 12:46 am

I bought a Kimber Ultra Ten II some time ago as a step up in a CCW from my Glock 27. Now, well past the 500 rd break-in, it still jams every 3-5 rounds. Hmmmmm ... Ive tried other magazines - no luck. Ive had a gunsmith work on it - got worse. The accuracy IS superb even out to 100yd (surpized the heck out of me!!), the trigger the best of any of my autos, and the recoil surprisingly light for the size and calibre. BUT I went back to the Glock for my CCW. A couple thousand rounds (really) through my model 27 and its performed like a champ (two-handed, one-handed, wrong-handed, soft/off grip, laying on the ground, peeking around corners, advancing, retreating, rapid fire ... ya know, stuff that you hope you never have to do, but just might need to.)

I dont think its me ... I have several Smiths, 2 Glocks, a Colt, an HK, and some others lost in the bottom of my gun safe. Over the 20 short years Ive been shooting, never had anything like this before. (okay, I lied. I had a Smith Sigma .380 that had issues, but I never was sure if it was a gun or not... sort of embarassing to admit I even had one...)

I was to the point of trading that beautiful little kimber in never to buy another ... but today at the range I noticed somthing really, REALLY odd ... maybe this can help the others having problems with these guns.

If I press **UP** on the magazine (and I mean HARD) while Im shooting, it feeds flawlessly! I can do this either with my L hand, or put my R pinky under the mag and pull up. I can even mash the butt down on a table. This is really REALLY awkward as instead of a nice firm grip, Im just plain tense. Of course, accuracy went to pot, and this certainly isnt going to work in a frantic defensive sitaution. But I CAN rip off a mag of 10 rounds in rapid 3 shot bursts without a jam, emptying the mag in less than 5 sec. I did it repeatedly.

This works with ALL my mags for this gun, factory and aftermarket. Its NOT my wrist - I limp-wristed it R handed while pinching the mag up into the gun with my left (dont ask how...it was a trick to pull off). It jumped all over but fed fine. The mag doesnt FEEL loose and looking down from above the release pin does not really show wear/damage.

As for the rating, I firmly believe, you can have the smoothest, most accurate, sexiest gun, but if pulling the trigger doesnt make it go boom, theres just not much point. If there is a simple fix, Id give this gun a 5/5 and swear eternal allegiance, highly recommending it to anyone looking for a .45ACP CCW! Dependability aside, I couldnt imagine a better CCW. However, the only reason I see to buy a COMPACT is for defensive carry. Dependability is key. Right now I cant trust this gun. Kimber lovers - Im not bashing them all, just this model. Maybe my gun is a lemon ... but seems like others have similar problems. Unless there is an easy fix Im unaware of, Ill stick to 2/5. If youre going to buy a CCW, save a hundred bucks or two and buy a sub-compact Glock .40 or .45 over this gun. Compare this forum to the Glock reviews. If someone knows that easy fix or has ideas, Id appreciate it!
kuma

Postby gunnutz » Mon Nov 13, 2006 1:29 pm

Im with you ,kuma! Reguardless of what it costs or who made it, if its not going BOOM every time the trigger is pulled dont carry it. I own 12 handguns, all fun to shoot, but only choose from 3 what ill carry.
gunnutz

Postby P.Greene » Mon Nov 13, 2006 2:58 pm

Kuma reminded me of something a dealer told me a long time ago. For what its worth; Always load a Kimber a round short. I had forgotten a bout that but thats what I do......

Strange.
P.Greene

Postby jallison » Tue Nov 21, 2006 7:17 pm

jallison

PreviousNext

Return to Pistols