>
Board Index Wield Your Weapon Pistols

Kel-Tec P-11 Reviews

Discuss and review everything about the pistol, from the original 1911, to the modern compact semi-automatic.

Postby squint » Sat Apr 19, 2008 1:50 pm

I had a P-11 for about 2 weeks. Other than the larger cailber in a small package I saw no reason to own this gun. It just didn't do it for me.

It wasn't comfortable to hold or shoot. The recoil was ok but seemed to make rapid fire more difficult than smaller cliber guns.

I traded for a Bersa CC .380. Other than the smaller round seems to be better in all other areas. But thats just me.
squint

Postby 5ring » Sat Apr 19, 2008 9:00 pm

OK, I am having a hell of a time finding a decent off-duty gun. My P11 started jamming after 200 rounds. It wouldn't eject the spent casing and would still try to feed the new one. Result, slide open with spent casing stuck in the extractor.

When you load the mag and chamber a round it functions properly. But if you remove the mag and try to clear the weapon, the live round stays in the extractor. I had to turn it upside-down and ram it through the mag-well with a pencil to knock the round out of the extractor.

I don't know if this is an ejector or extractor problem. I traded my P11 in for an S&W M&P40c. I took the M&P to the range and was quite impressed. No malfunctions in 150rds. Very accurate at 10yds and fair enough at 25 (50 rounds in an 8" circle).

The M&P compact is slimmer than the Glock-27 I had before the Keltec. It is, however, no where near as small as the P11.

Add one more to the off-duty guns I've had in the last two years. Firestar 9mm, Walther P22, Glock-27, Kahr P40 covert, Kel-tec P11 and now M&P 40c. I hope my search has ended.

5ring
5ring

Postby redbone311 » Sun May 25, 2008 12:33 am

You can keep this gun. I'm not the least impressed. I looked at the Kel-Tec website and the owners group for this P11. I thought that I could make it into a nice gun w/ a little gunsmithing. I used to do lot's of that many years ago. So I bought one............ BIG mistake. Brought it home and went to take the magazine out. Nope - it was hung-up in the frame as both sides of the frame were caved inward. Trigger pull is the worst, and with a plastic trigger to boot. Then the rear sight just fell right off. I hadn't even shot it yet and the rear sight falls off????????? Piece of junk. I returned it unfired to the gun shop. Bought a Glock 27 40 S&W used instead. And for only $130.00 more. The size difference is negligible - Glock is certainly wider and a little longer. But not by much. And when you factor in the fact that you can actually hit what your shooting at, and the gun will actually shoot each and every time, it became an easy choice. I had originally ruled out the Glocks as they look so big and blocky, and the fact that it didn't have an actual safety. But after looking at all the other choices it came down to the Glock.
redbone311

Postby grandeson » Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:54 am

STAY AWAY, nothing but problems, i too am looking for a reliable and concealable gun. This is concealable, but that's about it. This can be concealed, but why even carry it, it doesn't shoot on demand, please, for your safety, do not buy.
grandeson

Postby kep4321 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:40 pm

Just a quick question. I am interested in the Kel-Tek Sub 2000 carbine. Does anybody here have one, or can canbody direct me to a forum so I can see what people who have actually used one or own one say?

Thanks.....
kep4321

Postby chrisbfd » Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:40 pm

I am looking for feedback about the plr-16
chrisbfd

Postby onimo » Thu Sep 04, 2008 3:47 am

i have had my p11 for over 6 months and never had any fail to fire or fail to feed and ive put over 1000 assorted rounds through it! i did however polish the feed ramp and trigger rod and made sure i had the 8.5lb trigger spring when i first got it! i have since installed the trigger shoe, a hoage grip, mag extender, and a belt clip! the trigger shoe and the polishing made a world of differance! and if ur trigger s hard to pull ck with kel-tec to see which trigger spring ur gun has they will replace it with the 8.5lb free of charge! GREAT GUN! and for the sceptics i also hve a kimber 1911 ultra carry ss and a springfield xd sub .40 and i cary the kel-tec way more than either of them!!!! but the sights suck!
onimo

Postby kac453 » Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:15 pm

When I bought my P-11 many years ago, Kel-Tec was offering a P-11 slide/barrel/recoil spring assembly for the 40 S&W for just under $100 (the same magazine used with the 9mm works equally well with the 40 S&W). I bought one then and only recently tried it. It works perfectly and is quite accurate, but the recoil is fierce with the P-11's small grip. Kel-Tec stopped selling it about 7 years ago because of slow sales. It is not fun to shoot, but does increase then pistol's "stopping power".
kac453

Postby DAVEtheNATCH » Tue May 26, 2009 2:13 pm

Great gun! Some feeding problems when gun is filthy so keep it clean for carry and its perfect.
DAVEtheNATCH

Postby Hardee » Tue May 26, 2009 11:18 pm

I purchased the P11 to conceal carry due to its size and weight. I don't think I could find another gun that fits me like this one does. I don't have a large frame, but this gun hides easily. At the range, it fires whatever I have put in it without a single hiccup, even ammo my Ruger didn't like. Great gun and a great price; inexpensive doesn't mean cheap.
Hardee

PreviousNext

Return to Pistols