>
Board Index Wield Your Weapon Pistols

Beretta 8000 Cougar Reviews

Discuss and review everything about the pistol, from the original 1911, to the modern compact semi-automatic.

Beretta 8000 Cougar Reviews

Postby Egoslayer1 » Tue Oct 24, 2006 3:14 pm

FWIW I heard these were no longer in production, and looking at Berettas web site they are not listed any more so Im think that its true.

http://www.berettausa.com/product/produ ... s_main.htm

The cheetah seems very close visually, but it doesnt support the same calibres that the couger did.
Egoslayer1

Postby Artie_runs » Sat Jan 06, 2007 6:01 pm

I read a writeup on ths in Guns&Ammo a few weeks ago. IT is now being manufactured by Stoeger under licence from Beretta. In fact, they pretty much just moved the factory to Turkey. It got a pretty good review by Dick Metcalf and the MSRP is only $349. Made me sort of want one, specifically because of the rotaing barrel mechanism (also found on the Px4). Check out the review at the G&A website and the gun at www.stoegerindustries.com.
Artie_runs

Postby EBG » Fri Jan 19, 2007 11:40 am

Excellent main carry pistol. Put about 300 rounds at one time one mag after the other with no problems at all. A little bit bulky though and a little bit heavy. I specially like the decocker/safety and the rottating barrel as it extracts which I guess lessens the chance of a jam.
EBG

Postby killakilla703 » Thu Feb 01, 2007 6:58 pm

From my understading this weapons is made by Stoeger Industries in Turkey. Its basically a beretta, because its desighned by beretta and build with the beretta machines. Its called the Stoeger Cougar 8000 and sells for $349. Im looking at it in a Guns and Ammo mag right now. Go to stogerindustries.com for further deatails. Does anyone know how well this gun performs, I am seriously considering purchasing one for myself.
killakilla703

Postby holsteinmilker » Sat Feb 17, 2007 1:21 am

I got the Stoeger Cougar 8000 a few weeks ago. I love it! Recoil is minimal, it is extremely accurate, and feels very solid. In my opinion, it is the most bang for the buck available (I paid $329.00). If you are looking for a good, reliable, easy to shoot pistol that doesnt cost an arm and a leg, this is it. I cant understand why anyone would pay extra for the Beretta when they are the EXACT SAME gun. I highly recommend the Cougar.
holsteinmilker

Postby Slick26 » Sat Feb 24, 2007 4:46 pm

I bought the Stoeger Cougar 8000 in .40 S&W at the beginning of January, 2007. So almost 2 months ago. And have already put 2,000 rounds through it with NO failures. Most of those have been WWB from Wal-Mart. I really really like this gun. It has to be the best bang for the buck on the market right now. I initially wanted this gun for a CCW gun, but quickly realized it is just too large and heavy. I was also looking at the Sig P229 and this gun ended up being a great alternative if you want to save a little money. I still want the Sig, but this will get me by for the time being. The only issues I have with this gun, albeit rather small, are that is is so large for a compact alternative to the 92FS (yeah right, not compact in the least), and that the finish is not of the greatest quality. It scuffs easily and shows wear quickly. Also, the standard 3 dot sights on my gun were pretty shotty, I had to re-dot the front sight 3 times just to get it up to par where it should have been to begin with.

All in all, I highly recommend picking up one of these, if anything for its superb quality and unsurpassed bang for the buck. Also, I personally think the Stoeger looks a little bit nicer than the Beretta. They freshened things up a bit, even though its the same gun. 4 out of 5, hands down, excellent firearm, and cheap to boot.
Slick26

Postby purehandgun » Sun May 27, 2007 7:23 pm

Does the stoeger come in .357?
purehandgun

Postby teknoid » Sun Jul 22, 2007 11:02 pm

People who say this is not a carry gun must be using compacts. The Cougar is a mid-sized (3.6" barrel) steel pistol. I was carrying a full sized M&P until I bought it. The Cougar is actually easier (for me) to carry. It shoots every bit as well, too. A very hard deal to beat.
teknoid

Postby EBG » Mon Jul 23, 2007 2:14 am

I agree teknoid, this one is an excellent gun to carry due to it's dependability and good safety features. I think what most people mean (including me) is that this one is harder to conceal. Like me, I weigh 150 lbs. and with a slim built. In the summer time it's hard to get away with concealing my Cougar (which I have been accosted before when a plain clothes security guard from the mall noticed it bulking and asked to see my CCW permit). Like I said, all in all it's an excellent carry weapon - if you can get away with it.
EBG

Postby epwrangler » Thu Jul 26, 2007 12:25 am

So, you really got asked for your ccw? My son had to show his to a state trooper who thanked him and told him to take care to enjoy his trip. He was carrying his XD 45 service and is about your size. His brother is 6'4" and a cop.
epwrangler

Next

Return to Pistols