>
Board Index Wield Your Weapon Pistols

AMT Automag II Reviews

Discuss and review everything about the pistol, from the original 1911, to the modern compact semi-automatic.

Postby RHerringt » Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:08 pm

I took my newly purchased AMT AMII to the range today after work...Using Winchester cartridges, the very first round didn't

eject...cleared it and the rest in that mag shot fine...loaded it again, and the same thing happened...decided not to put the full 9 rounds in to see if that would make a difference, and with only 8 loaded, it worked fine...ended up shooting about 200 rounds between it and a Grendel P-30, which is also 22 mag/30 rd. mag...the Grendel operated flawlessly...then I ran

out of the Winchesters and loaded the AMT with some old mag

ammo that I've had for a while...the second round not only

jammed but was stuck in the barrel, after it had been fired...

each one of these rounds that would not eject properly, was

distorted on the bullet end...so I'm thinking that the problem

lies in the casings rather than the ejector...there has been a lot of talk about the recoil spring, but really think it's the ammo....Nice little gun, other than the jamming, very accurate

at 25 ft.
RHerringt

Postby tybr » Mon May 05, 2008 5:03 pm

my AMT automag II is fun to shoot over all. i have had jam problems the whole 7 years i have owned it. i bought it new. i have shoot around 4,000 rounds through it an it jams 1 in every 3 mags. (most offen the first shot) i sent it back to AMT in SD. (when they were still makinging guns) for a fix. they sent it back to me and said it worked fine. after shooting it more the same problems were there. i bought new springs and rod for it from AMT and it still jams 1 in every 2 mags or so. i now take it to the farm when i take my 22.WMR long guns, but it gets only a few shots through it before we put it aside. the best i have found is to put 7 or 8 rounds in the mag. it james a lot less.
tybr

Postby RHerringt » Mon May 05, 2008 5:37 pm

Just wondering what ammo all of you find the least problems with? I've mostly shot Winchester through mine, with few problems, but have a box of CCI Maxi-Mag HP+V that I'm going to try this weekend...AND if anyone know where to get parts for the AMT, like springs, please let me know. Anyone know if the Hi-Standard AMT parts are interchangeable with the older ones? Thanks!
RHerringt

Postby RHerringt » Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:58 pm

I own the Automag II, 4.5" AMT. I'm trying to find another barrel for this gun, part #: M03 from the manual. On one end of the barrel is a small block, this is where the bullet slides up into the barrel, well, the plane between the barrel and this block sheared. No dealer wants to touch it (which I can't blame them) because of its location. I've gone online to Numrich Arms for parts but their website states to check back in 30-60 days...well it's been almost 2 years. This gun has been out of service since 1995. It belonged to my Late Uncle, so I don't feel like turning it in for scrap metal...as of yet.

SO if anyone know of anything/anyone, please let me know.

Thank you in advance.
RHerringt

Postby Bugshooter » Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:24 pm

Just bought an Automag II and shot it for the first time. Had a great time at the indoor range.

Lighting was a little dim at the firing line...great muzzle flash. Impressive boom resonating in the smallish range.

From all the posts I've seen (AFTER I bought it) I guess I am lucky. No jams, no misfires, no problems. Perhaps I'm lucky in that I got one of the pistols w/ no problems or lucky that all I have is ammo that this pistol likes...Winchester.

The trigger pull was a little more than I was expecting, but I'll get used to it.
Bugshooter

Postby dukeem » Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:56 pm

Hi guys. I just bought a AutomagII that looks new in box. I have read that Winchester shoots the best in them. Well I am here to tell you different about mine. I purchased a few boxes of Winchester powerpoints for the new toy! Almost every shot stuck in the barrel on me. I decided to try a box of CCI MaxiMag just to see if there would be a difference. Every shot of that CCI ran great throught the Automag until the barrel became very hot. I would say that on the 40 or 45th rounf it stuck in the barrel. I waited about 20 minutes for it to cool off then back to sweet shooting again. The report and kick was much harder and louder than the Winchester. Tried one more clip of the Winchester and it went right back to being stuck again. CCI Maxi Mag has my full trust and support from now on. Happy shooting my friends..... Dukeem
dukeem

Postby rwyork » Sun Nov 21, 2010 7:43 am

I bought mine used from a co-worker, and I was just about to through it away because of the jams until I tried .22 mag win. It fires like a dream. Sounds like a cannon and I've had very few jams.
rwyork

Postby canwetalk223 » Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:28 pm

I owned an AMT Automag II for 15 years, it always jammed no matter what ammo used, I finally destroyed the gun rather than pawn, sell or trade and risk someone getting injured.
canwetalk223

Previous

Return to Pistols