>
Board Index Wield Your Weapon Pistols

AMT Automag II Reviews

Discuss and review everything about the pistol, from the original 1911, to the modern compact semi-automatic.

AMT Automag II Reviews

Postby quikdrawmagraw » Fri Oct 20, 2006 1:43 am

quikdrawmagraw

Postby harleyranger » Sat Dec 02, 2006 4:44 am

my first AMT product was an AUTOMAG 2 i bought it used , when i took it out to test fire itfor the first time it would catch the spent cartrige before it had a chance to clearthe gun. so i took it apart played with it scratched my head and finally decided that the recoil spring was to stiff , at that time AMT was still in business ,,again located in sturges. i tal;ked with a tech there , and told him what i thought, his answer was oh you got one of those so he sent me a new spring ,, at no chargeafter i recieved it ,, i chucked the old spring and replaced it with the new one.. the pistol now would cycle perfectly,, then on another time it quit working right ,, it wouldnt fire ,, so again i started looking closely at the gun .. somthing i had noticed was the safty would fall just enough that the hammer wouldnt strike the fireing pin .. what had happened was whoever owned the gun prior to me i think dry fired the gub causing the safty bar to deform ,, if you looked close it was real apparent .. so i took my rotary tool and smoothed the bar back the gun will cycle any 22wmr round now ,, it fact its my favorite hiking ggun
harleyranger

Postby EBG » Fri Jan 19, 2007 4:32 am

Had bought one at one time - 22 magnum. Had given up on it after first 100 rounds. had every jam immaginable after every 5 to 10 rounds. Who knows, maybe it was just defective. Never did send it in for repair, just traded for a revolver.
EBG

Postby spyguy064 » Fri Feb 09, 2007 1:23 pm

I purchased an AMT AUTOMAG II Sept. 06, From the very beginning it jammed very often. I have been told that one must use 40 grain ammo or higher (45-50 grain) so that there is enough energy to operate the slide mechanism. I have done this and returned the weapon to the manufacturer for a refund as the gun is very unreliable. Also, the magazine is rated for 9 rounds and it impossible to load more than 5-6 round without damaging the bullet casings. The gun is not worth buying at any price. Also High Standard will not honor their warranty or take back the pistol. Im having to resort to legal action to get satisfaction.
spyguy064

Postby nvmaddog » Sat Feb 17, 2007 3:40 am

Purchased an Automag II used. There is a small piece of the barrel that is missing toward the front. I am assuming it is from the previous owner not using the correct winchester ammo. Does anyone know if this will pose a problem? Thanks
nvmaddog

Postby spyguy064 » Tue Feb 20, 2007 5:23 pm

The AMT AUTOMAG II pistol I purchased recently has not functioned properly from the very start. The clip is overrated and will only hold 6-7 bullet instead of the rated 9. Also, proper bullet extraction is a rarity. It jams almost every shot and when going to higher power ammunition it still jams, but less frequently. This weapon should be taken off the market

as it is totally unreliable.
spyguy064

Postby TMC-GUN-USER » Fri Feb 23, 2007 2:04 pm

I HAVE OWNED AN AMT AUTOMAG II FOR THE PASS 7 YEARS. I DID HAVE EJECTION AND JAMMING PROBLEMS WHEN IT WAS NEW, BUT AFTER APPROXIMATELY 500 ROUNDS THE MAJORITY OF THESE PROBLEMS DISAPPEARED. I ALSO DISASSEMBLED THE MAGAZINE AND CLEANED, LUBRICATED, AND SLIGHTLY STRETCHED THE SPRING. THE REASON I DECIDED TO INCREASE THE SPRING PRESSURE IS DUE TO THE NEXT ROUND WOULD SOME TIMES JAM AT AN ANGLE AGAINST THE LOADING RAMP AND WITH STEEP ENOUGH OF AN ANGLE THAT IT WOULD NOT CHAMBER. THE ADDITIONAL SPRING PRESSURE CORRECTED THIS PROBLEM. I HAVE FIRED OVER 3000 ROUNDS THROUGH THIS GUN AND THE ONLY TIME IT JAMS IS WHEN IT REALLY NEEDS TO BE CLEANED. I HAVE A FAIR SIZED COLLECTION OF HANDGUNS AND THE AMT AUTOMAG II IS ONE OF MY FAVORITES. IT IS FUN TO SHOOT AND AMMO IS CHEAP TO PURCHASE.
TMC-GUN-USER

Postby RHerringt » Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:13 am

I have been interested in the Automag II for a while now, but have heard varying stories about it jamming. I have also heard that the problem was in the ejection spring, and that there was a cure for it. That being said, I researched further to find that High Standard is producing the AMT again, and have had better results with it than the original. When I asked

a local gun dealer to check on availability, after calling HS, he said there is a 6 month waiting list. So, I take it that the pistop has become popular once again. And the price is in the $700.00 area.

In my search for a .22 mag auto, I ran across one made by

Grendel, which is out of business now. They were made in the early 90s in Miami. The .22 mag (P-30) has a 30 round

magazine, which is pretty impressive, if it is legal in your state. A friend has two and loaned me one to shoot this weekend. The pistol is made of a composite material, and is

very light...a little large in the grip area to conceal...but looks to be a pretty nice .22 mag. Here again, the price for the used ones approaches the $600.00 mark.
RHerringt

Postby RHerringt » Sat Apr 26, 2008 5:54 pm

Well, today I did it...I was at a gun in Palmetto, and walking down the first aisle, I ran across 3 Automags...Having just

bought a Grendel P-30, I really wasn't in the market...but figured that seeing 3 was an omen...ended up buying a 4.5"

barrel for $350.00....and of course the first thing to do is to

take it apart and see what makes it tick...well, big mistake, or

should say, I should have been a little more observant in doing so, because a little piece fell out...which I am thinking is the ejector...I tried to figure out where it goes, but am having difficulty...it appears to slide onto the under side of the slide, in the same groove that slides onto the frame....one side of this piece is square metal, the other has a piece of metal sticking up and forward...when I put this piece in the way I think it goes, you can't move the slide rearward enough to put the slide stop in....

Can anyone help me out here? I sure would appreciate it...

Thanks.
RHerringt

Postby RHerringt » Sun Apr 27, 2008 1:14 am

I figured it out...was trying to put the ejector in the slide rather than the frame...works fine now...
RHerringt

Next

Return to Pistols