>
Board Index Wield Your Weapon Pistols

Steyr M-A1 Reviews

Discuss and review everything about the pistol, from the original 1911, to the modern compact semi-automatic.

Postby JMGHOLSTERS » Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:34 am

Great gun! Extremely reliable and accurate. I had a bit of a problem adjusting to the factory triangle sights but I got 3-dot night sights and problem solved. I love the way it feels in my hands and I personally like it more than Glocks. The trigger pull is great btw!
JMGHOLSTERS

Postby wncooper » Thu Mar 27, 2008 4:48 pm

I bought the M40-A1, 1-12 rd magazine, and 1-10 rd magazine from CDNNsports for 397 shipped. Took it out the range and shot 50 rounds of WWB through it. Just a great gun, no FTE, FTF. Just a super gun.
wncooper

Postby wsrpred » Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:51 am

Undecided between the Sig 229 .40 and the Steyr M A1 .40

Any help? I had a chance to go to an indoor firing range and fire a Sig 226 .40, but i like the 229 cuz of its smaller size. Unfortunately, i never got a chance to fire the Steyr M A1... The indoor range DID have a Steyr M A1 9mm, but after about 1000 rounds, it broke on them. I've heard such great things about the M A1, so I'm sure it broke from a shooter error. I don't think the Steyr M A1 is defective in any way. I haven't even gotten a chance to feel how the M A1 felt in my hand because all the gun stores I've been to didn't carry one. I really want to get a Steyr M A1 .40, preferably online, but I don't want to be disappointed. ANY HELP?!?!
wsrpred

Postby BLADESKATER00 » Fri Aug 29, 2008 5:07 am

This is a good accurate gun, but it is Ammunition sensitive (as are many pistols), i.e. Winclean 9mm 115 gr. causes feed jams--with this ammunition it is a serious problem. S & B ball 9mm 115 gr. and Fiochi HP 9mm 115 gr. work fine. This gun also has a tendency for the slide to not lock back after the last round--even when slow firing and arms locked. The slide not locking back after the last round is completely eliminated by using a better (Wolff +) magazine spring! I like this gun--it was a good purchase!
BLADESKATER00

Postby scaramonga007 » Thu Nov 27, 2008 6:54 pm

I recommend putting at least 500 rounds through for a good break in. My M9 A-1 hasn't flinched with a variety of 9mm ammo, even reloads (my own). Some early production models came with the WRONG size magazine springs. If the magazine rattles if shaken, it probably has the wrong size spring inside. An easy fix. Accuracy is as good as a Glock 19. The trapazoid sights take getting used to but are very quick on target for quick shots. Believe it or not the best round I have found for it is the Remington +P 115 gr JHP standard green box ammo. The exotics performed no better than this round for me. It is a Polymer coated METAL frame pistol with a fully supported chamber. The Loaded Chamber pin will leave a small dimple dent on the outer case base ring. This does not affect reloading/function of the fired shell. BUY IT....
scaramonga007

Postby SKTwithaClaymore » Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:22 am

I purchased my M9-A1 off of gunbroker.com, brand new, 2 mags etc. I had never used gunbroker to buy a handgun and I was pretty hesitant which I am sure most people are the first time they use it. The dealer I purchased it from had 100% positive feedback on over 200 sales so I said "screw it" and tried it. It proved to be very easy and I had the gun in my hand within 5 days.

I have only put 300 rounds through it but it fired flawlessly. The sights are faster and easier for target aquisition, which was the original intent of the design. Also the angle of the grip at 111 degrees put you in perfect alignment for CQB shooting. I instruct soldiers for the Army in CQB handgun, M-4's, M-16's etc. So I do have my own preferences on hadguns(just like everyone else) and I have come to learn that (most)hadguns are well made and accuarte. I do feel that if you can't afford a SIG, HK, etc. The M9-A1 is a great alternative. I use it as my concealed weapon and it wears well. I feel it is a great gun for CQB which 99% of handgun battles are. You know the statistics prove the old "3 feet, 3 rounds, 3 seconds" for most shootings and I feel that the M9-A1 fits that role well. Sorry for the rant but I don't want people to X the weapon out.
SKTwithaClaymore

Postby BLADESKATER00 » Tue Dec 30, 2008 7:51 pm

One poster recomends putting at least 500 rounds through the Steyr--I do not. This gun shoots exactly the same after 950 rounds as it did with the first round--this gun does not wear in like many other guns, e.g. my CZ 85 combat needed 750 rounds to loosen and smooth out the action.
BLADESKATER00

Postby laurend » Fri May 08, 2009 2:41 pm

I had never had a Steyr before but I got one and love it. I think it helps that I got such a good deal on it. Anyone looking for one of these guns they are available at Dunn's for $399.99.
laurend

Postby timfife » Sun Aug 30, 2009 1:06 am

Okay, I have had my M40A1 for about a year (second one). My first had no problems but I sold it to buy an FNP9 (love it). But I really missed my M40A1 I had to get another! Anyway, after putting atleast 2000 rnds through this weapon I can say I have had NO FTF/FTE or any other malfunctions.0. The sights took me a while to get used to but now I am dead on, no matter the ammo. My first M40A1 is still 100% with no FTF/FTE still and we shoot every weekend at least 200 rounds per gun. My friend wanted to trade me his XDM.40 for my Steyr...He now owns a FNP9 and I have a new XDM...Anyone want to trade? I want my FNP9 back!
timfife

Postby BLADESKATER00 » Sun Aug 30, 2009 2:22 pm

The stock sights on the M-A1 are ok--too bad they are not tritium; I changed mine to standard tritium--and they're are very nice!
BLADESKATER00

PreviousNext

Return to Pistols