>
Board Index Wield Your Weapon Pistols

Steyr M-A1 Reviews

Discuss and review everything about the pistol, from the original 1911, to the modern compact semi-automatic.

Steyr M-A1 Reviews

Postby Matthew77 » Sat Oct 28, 2006 4:26 pm

This gun feels good in the hand, and is very easy to disassemble for cleaning. I bought the M9-A1 new and put 100rds of American Eagle FMJ with no problems. You do have to start out with 10rds. or less until the springs in the magazine get worn in. With Hornady Tag ammo I had one jam from 10rds total shot. The recoil is noticeably less with these rounds.Once the recoil spring gets worn in I imagine there will be no problems. Ive read only good comments posted about the M series and S series. Im very satisfied with my purchase.($470 w/ case and extra 15rd. mag.)
Matthew77

Postby bigdon » Mon Nov 06, 2006 4:28 am

Mathew, I used mags from cdnninvestments.com and the gun works great. It favors in my experience 95 grain bullets and shot like a dream. My gun functioned flawlessly, and its safety and ergonomic features are outstanding. I had no malfuntions, and it gobbeled everything. I am putting the gun up now, and have incested in the CZ52. Same diameter bullet, but longer case.
bigdon

Postby N24RE » Fri Nov 10, 2006 11:59 pm

I bought this gun with 3 mags and the case for $499. I shot this along with several other guns including the Berretta 92 and a Glock. I looked at the Beretta PX4 as another alternative. One shot from the Steyr and I was hooked. The low center of gravity and the sights are addicting. It is as easy to shoot well as my Walther P22. The only downside to this gun is since it is not a high volume unit it is a bit tough to find holsters, extra mags etc.

StevOh
N24RE

Postby catchip » Wed Dec 13, 2006 6:15 pm

I noticed some time back on this or some other forum a question as to whether anyone made a steel spring guide for the steyr. I made some of the first commercially available steel guide rods for glocks in the early 90s and have some left over. If the steyr is like most of the Glock clones, parts are dimensioned similarly. For example, barrels and slides from S&W Sigmas physically interchanged with correspondingly sized Glock parts, although not for purposes of firing. I wouldnt be surprised if the spring/guide arrangement from Steyr is very similat to one for Glock 19/23. If one of you Steyr owners who also has a set of calipers would provide me with dimensions of the spring/guide assy, I can determine this and may have at least a few nice nitrocarburized steel guides to offer. I need total length of guide, thickness and diameter of head on rear end, diameter of stem, outside and inside diameters of the recoil spring (not the wire, but the entire spring). Thanks
catchip

Postby HollywoodJose » Sun Dec 17, 2006 5:32 pm

I have the M40-A1 and it is perhaps the best gun I have ever shot. Compared to a Glock 23, the grip on the Steyr feels a lot more comfortable and the trigger is also lighter. The sights may take a bit of getting used to but once you get them down you can have extremely accurate shots. I highly recommend this gun for just about anybody!
HollywoodJose

Postby JTplus » Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:27 pm

I just got a M40-A1. After taking it out for the first time i have this to say. It handles great, and had no problems. The sights are dead on, and does not kick to bad. The gun fits your hand perfectly, and is balanced very well. I have also had glocks, and feel that this pistol is made better. It holds 12 rounds of .40. It is the easiest gun I have to field strip. I did not have to start out with 10 rounds or less the first time I loaded the clip. I went with the full 12, I guess I have strong thumbs. I do shoot alot.
JTplus

Postby JTplus » Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:29 pm

I just got a M40-A1. After taking it out for the first time i have this to say. It handles great, and had no problems. The sights are dead on, and does not kick to bad. The gun fits your hand perfectly, and is balanced very well. I have also had glocks, and feel that this pistol is made better. It holds 12 rounds of .40. It is the easiest gun I have to field strip. I did not have to start out with 10 rounds or less the first time I loaded the clip. I went with the full 12, I guess I have strong thumbs. I do shoot alot.
JTplus

Postby nc_gunner » Sun Feb 18, 2007 10:14 pm

I picked up my M-A1 in August of 06 and have put about 700 rounds through it at this point with not a single issue. Its the best pistol Ive ever fired for several reasons. The ergonomics are excellent and the center of gravity is low, both of which help in quick target acquisition. The trapezoidal/triangular sight system is a bit strange at first but becomes second nature in the first 50 rounds. Overall fit and finish is very good, although Im not 100% satisfied with the slides finish. Ive got a couple brass markings the top of the slide from ejected brass bouncing back, and Im not happy that it wont come off. Beyond that, the gun tears down quickly and cleans easily; overall I know I made the right choice and even a diehard Glock fan buddy of mine wanted to buy a Steyr after just handling mine.
nc_gunner

Postby madFive » Mon Aug 27, 2007 7:31 pm

Found an M40-A1 last week with two mags for just $409! It came as quite a suprise to finally find one, and for alot cheaper than a glock, too.

The design and parts are almost identical to a glock, including the safety, no second-strike etc, except it is WAY more ergonomic and it's a little easier to break down.

I love the triangular sites - still kindof getting used to them, but so far i'd say the acuracy is pretty much on par with a glock. Only 100 rounds thru it so far, but no jams or missfires to speak of.

I'd love to find an extended mag for the M40 with 20+ rounds or so - any idea if any are in production?
madFive

Postby scort » Fri Sep 14, 2007 2:34 pm

I bought the M40A1

I found that cdnnsports.com had them new on sale for $369

Very comfortable grip angle, sights a little unique, easy to clean. A little bulkier than my glock23 so I carry the glock.

and the slide finish and the plastics are not as tough as the glock. But the short trigger reset and rail make it one of my my fav house guns. Love to shoot the steyr at the range and it is a cool looking gun.
scort

Next

Return to Pistols