>
Board Index Wield Your Weapon Pistols

Hi-Point C-9 Reviews

Discuss and review everything about the pistol, from the original 1911, to the modern compact semi-automatic.

Postby NotUndeadYet » Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:47 am

I finally made it to the range today. I put 140 rounds through it without a single problem. 50 rounds of ten dollar CCI ammo, 50 rounds of winchester white box, and 40 rounds of remington umc metal clad. (Only 40 rounds of the last so I could take some ammo home.) It felt good shooting, and while this trip I wasn't especially concerned with accuracy, landed the first 70 or so rounds on the 18 inch square target at about 15 yards, and plinked at the head-sized steel plates at 25 yards with the rest.

The guy a couple of positions down shooting a S&W felt the need to ask what I was shooting, and when I told him gave me the "my other gun is a glock" spiel.

Bottom line, I'm rather pleased with my C9.
NotUndeadYet

Postby matt5us » Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:33 am

got a question everyone i just purchased a hi point c9

and i am having problems with the clips or ammo????

if i load more than 5 rounds into the clips they get stuck an do not load

i am useing 115 gr fmj in a red box

any help would be great
matt5us

Postby NotUndeadYet » Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:56 am

My magazine was really tight at first too. The first 8 were a bear to get in, but after a few full loads and unloads its loosened up nicely. One thing that helps is to make sure each round is seated against the rear of the magazine, I slap it against my palm a time or two while loading it.
NotUndeadYet

Postby PhantomII » Sun Oct 24, 2010 12:26 pm

I have owned 4 different Hi-Points; CF380, C9, .40S&W, and two different 995 carbines, for the past 10 years.

Everyone that I talk to about them (on the range, etc.) says that they would never own a Hi-Point, too cheap. I have shot about 1500 rnds of 9mm through the C9 (600 or so) and the rest through the carbines. I have had a few FTFs and a couple of double feeds. The problems were related to a bad mag (HP replaced it).

The .40S&W has had 500 rnds through it, no problems, but gave it to my B-I-L, and he loves it! My son got my CF380 since I did not want to shoot that caliber anymore, that pistol never failed me.

I had been having some problems (it was me, not the pistol) with a .40S&W Taurus that I own, and brought my C9 to the range with me and started shooting it from the 10 yd line and kept the group to 3-1/2" and a friend of mine shooting next to me wanted to know what I was shooting... When he found out he declared that he would never own one, they're too cheap! Cheap but Made in the USA and reliable (Gun Test Magazine agrees).

I have many pistols and carbines, but I'll never stop shooting my Hi-Points!
PhantomII

Postby cm5838 » Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:40 am

I have had my c9 for 2 years or so, bought it new. Since new it has refused to load hollow points, and with a full clip the top round does not like to sit correctly in the mag, high on the bullet and low on the headstamp. That bothers me some, but tonight I had an incident where I had to use the pistol at my front door, luckily no shots had to be fired, but when I ejected the mag and went to clear the chamber I realized it failed to load one. After playing with it for a minute I realized the mad is not locking in properly and I had to smack it in pretty hard to lock it right. Is this typical of this weapon? I felt if there had been a home invader at my door instead of what turned out to be a stray animal this would have been a fatal malfunction.
cm5838

Postby Marinerfh » Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:25 am

cm5838, have you sent the C-9 gun and magazine(s) back to Hi-Point? They will check it all out and make repairs/adjustments accordingly. Great service with usually a 7 day, or less, turnaround.

FYI, Hi-Point does not recommend hollow-point ammo. Here is the response, re ammo, I got from Hi-Point Customer Service: "The ammunition brands we recommend are Remington, UMC and Blazer 115gr FMJ. We do not recommend Winchester or Wolf. Please call the factory for any questions you may have. Our technical staff will help you. The hours are 7am till 5pm EST Monday thru Thursday and 7am till 11am EST Friday. Our toll-free number is 1-866-948-4867."

PhantomII, I had a similar experience at the local sheriff's department gun range. Other shooters liked the C-9...until they heard the name. One deputy shot a clip and did better with my Hi-Point C-9 than his Glock G-19.

Inexpensive is not the same as cheap. The Hi-Point C-9 is inexpensive. If only they would come out with a double stack mag...
Marinerfh

Postby PhantomII » Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:32 am

cm5838,

I have not had the same exact problem that you described, but have noticed that with a full magazine that you need to ensure the magazine is fully seated and locked in place.

It sounds as though your magazine spring is pretty stiff yet. Do you leave the magazine filled or empty when you store it away?

You might want to load it fully and store it that way in order to 'break-in' the mag. I have had some mag issues with this pistol, as had members of my family that also own Hi-Points.

It would be nice if the pistol had a loaded chamber indicator, as it is now, I will slightly pull back the slide to ensure that a round is or is not loaded in the chamber.

The problem with Hollow Point ammo not loading can be traced to one of two things; 1) The magazine is not feeding the cartridge properly, or; 2) The loading ramp needs to be 'polished' a little to ensure a smooth feeding of the cartridge.

Try using a bronze brush on the feeding ramp to ensure it is clean and not 'catching' the open cavity of the HP cartridge.

The magazine may also cause the problem if it is not presenting the cartridge to the slide/bolt face catching the cartridge in the mag.

Hi-Point firearms will serve you well.
PhantomII

Postby cm5838 » Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:49 am

Thanks for the reply, I do store it with a full mag in a locking pistol safe, I have put less than 200 rds. through it from new. And yes, the mag doesn't like to lock in properly, it feels like it locks, makes a click sound but is not seated completely and the bolt cannot grab a round from it. I have also noticed when full it don't like to load the first round easily, I usually have to smack the back of the slide to close it or lock it back with the safety, then unlock it so it slams a little harder. Maybe it just needs to be a little more worn.
cm5838

Postby PhantomII » Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:56 am

cm5838,

NotUndeadYet made a good comment on the problem that he had with his magazines, and I found like he did, a little tap of the Mag to the heel of the hand as you are loading it ensures the cartridges are fully seated to the back of the mag. It does help.

Marinerfh also has a good suggestion. Call Hi-Point and voice your problem to them. They are Customer Oriented, and will help you solve your problem. They are good people and will treat you like family!

Don't give up on Hi-Point, they may not win a beauty contest, but they do work well and are INEXPENSIVE, not cheap!!
PhantomII

Postby Tinmancr » Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:16 am

to respond to the magazine query yes as with most cheap guns you must ensure when loading you do it correctly.

a very common practice with 1911 users is to smack the bottom of the mag to make the rounds to get in line.

in reality it is much easier to load then put thumb on rim, then gently strike bottom on leg.

mine does it some time, however it has never jammed even with flying ashtrays.

my .45 does it too still no jams you may have a bad mag, one of mine is pretty sticky when loading into gun.

be sure never to slam a mag in the gun it will cause the round s to surge this may bring about a jam. "ftl"
Tinmancr

PreviousNext

Return to Pistols