>
Board Index Wield Your Weapon Pistols

Hi-Point C-9 Reviews

Discuss and review everything about the pistol, from the original 1911, to the modern compact semi-automatic.

Postby PhantomII » Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:19 pm

I picked up a new C9 and went to the range yesterday. After cleaning the bore of protective storage oil residue and checking out the pistol, I Ran 200 rnds of 115g JHP through it, and the first two magazines had 'issues' where the slide had to be 'thumped' to fully seat the first cartridge into battery.

I pulled the mag out, took some "Break Free CLP" and sparyed a drop or two along the rail of the slide, and took a 9mm brass cleaning brush with some BF CLP on it and really cleaned the loading ramp well. I also used the BF CLP to lubricate the magazine spring and follower (just a drop or two, not a lot). The polymer mags don't have the 'catch' that all metal mags are prone to. A little lubricant (preferably BR CLP rather than oil) allows the metal spring to move without drag. Works for me anyways!

The next 18 magazines of 115g JHP fed and fired without a hitch, and accurate too!

I have seen alot of people going to the range and don't carry with them a little cleaning kit, have problems and have to pack it in and go home...
PhantomII

Postby Tinmancr » Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:42 pm

huh good show sorry your gun needed cleaned but glad it worked fine with a little tlc from clp.

I hope it continues to serve you for a long time.
Tinmancr

Postby Tinmancr » Sat Nov 27, 2010 2:12 am

So I stumbled upon this site in my search for a CCW. Having just retired from the army, I knew I wanted to get rid of that brick Sig P228. While it's obvious that the HP C9 is not the answer to my CCW, I have become convinced that this weapon is cheap enough and reliable enough that I will have one for every room in my home!

Funny that as I was web browsing gun forums I heard a bird circling my neighborhood. Soon after I stepped outside (unarmed), the bird hit the spotlight on a home near mine. I felt incredibly vulnerable to say the least. I have not felt so naked in my life! In addition we are a meager 2 hour drive from cartel plagued towns along la Frontera Chica(little border). Civilian life here I come! We will be well armed!
Tinmancr

Postby PhantomII » Sat Nov 27, 2010 3:08 pm

Welcome FoxtrotTango!

The Hi-Point C9 is a little bulky to CCW, but does make for a reliable house/vehicle gun, and is affordable. You'll find that the people at Hi-Point are very nice and customer oriented.

Welcome also to a new phase of your life (retirement from the military), I have been retired from the Air Force for 22 years, so I am officially an Old Fart!

Come back and let us know how things are working out for you with the CCW weapon and your C9's...

John

PhantomII
PhantomII

Postby Whiplash » Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:08 pm

Just purchased a C-9 that I will get for Christmas. I am looking forward to taking it to the range for the first time. I have to admit I was a little hesitant about buying this gun but for the price and with the reviews I have read I decided to give a try. It looks like most everybody that has one really likes it.
Whiplash

Postby PhantomII » Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:26 am

Whiplash, you will like the C-9!

When you get ready to take it out and shoot it for the first time, make sure that you clean it to remove any preservation oil (some call it cosmolene, but if they ever encountered the real cosmolene, a sticky grease like compound, they'd never forget it) and then use a little "Break Free CLP" along the slide rails. Work the slide a couple of times to ensure that it is well lubed, not too much oil or BreakFree CLP. That will help assure you of a smooth slide action for recoil control and cartridge ejection.

After about 400-500 rounds the gun will be pretty well broken in and you will be at ease in shooting it. Hi-Points use of the heavy slide really tames the 9mm recoil, and I have found that the pistol is an accurate one, even for one that is made as inexpensively as this one.

My only complaint is that to disassemble the pistol for indepth cleaning, it is a real bear (Hi-Point used to recommend not taking their pistols apart for in-depth cleaning).

Looking forward to your coming back and letting us know how it all worked out for you!

~John

PhantomII
PhantomII

Postby Whiplash » Fri Dec 24, 2010 6:47 pm

Thanks PhantomII for the advice. I'll post after I have had a chance to put some rounds through it; although it might not be right away.

Hope you have a great CHRISTmas.
Whiplash

Postby andy8007 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:42 pm

Bought my C-9 a few months ago. It's a heavy gun with a hard recoil.... but the handling, accuracy, and efficiency (no misfires, all clean ejections) was better than I expected for the price I paid for the gun. Glad to see the comments and tips for the C-9 on this forum. Helps me out quite a bit. Thanks.
andy8007

Postby FryGuy011 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:51 pm

I've both read and heard that cheap winchester white box ammo works well with this gun, have any of you tried this brand for the c9? If not then please tell me what the most reliable brand you've shot through it was and how many rounds of that brand you've had go through it.
FryGuy011

Postby NotUndeadYet » Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:02 pm

WWB works well, as does Remington UMC. But, I use Federal in my C9. Its over 3 bucks a box cheaper than the others, and feeds and shoots well. I've put about 600 rounds of Federal through, with only one failure to fire. Having said that and championing Federal ammo, my Taurus 609 hates Federal. If you compare rounds, the Federals are slightly longer than either UMC or WWB.
NotUndeadYet

PreviousNext

Return to Pistols