>
Board Index Wield Your Weapon Pistols

HK P2000 SK Reviews

Discuss and review everything about the pistol, from the original 1911, to the modern compact semi-automatic.

Postby jobpatto » Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:37 am

2ndfan, I couldn't agree more about the external safety. Both my HK .40's, the USP .40 C and P2000 SK .40 have the LEM action with no safety, but since the hammer remains down, I can still carry chambered in either IWB or a pocket holster. I even removed the button safety from my Remington 870 Express Magnum 12guage. It is a pistol-grip home defense weapon that does not get stored with a chambered round (since I previously lived in Chicago and it was the closest thing to a handgun I could legally own). If I had a reason for a safety, like being stealthy in a war zone or hunting where chambering a round would give away your location or frighten deer, I would definitely use them but it still wouldn't prompt me to leave anything chambered and cocked when I was not preparing to fire it.

From your last message, I know you have a USP. My first HK was the USP because it was what my father used as his service pistol while being an FFDO commercial airline pilot....and HK had a deal where the pilot could buy one privately from the factory for $495, complete with tritium night sights and an extra magazine. My first impression to the SK was that it seemed too much of a compromise in order to be a sub compact. It just felt a little too thin and light when compared to the USP C. After much research, I bought it and have never looked back. Exactly as reliable as the USP and significantly smaller. The very best part is that the high capacity magazines from your USP will fit into the SK's. This extends the handle with the help of an HK X-Grip spacer and allows, in the case of the .40, it to increase the pistol's capacity from 9+1 to 12+1. I carry with the 9rnd mag and have extra 12 round mags loaded up as spares in my gun safe or in my pocket, if I ever feel the need to have more than one one.

To make a long story slightly shorter, don't let the small size or thinner slide fool you into thinking of th SK as a back-up gun. It is FULLY functional, fully reliable and as accurate as my USP.
jobpatto

Postby BLADESKATER00 » Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:15 pm

2ndfan

Safety's on handguns have usually come to be there because of incompetent gun grabbers who simply do not understand proper gun safety. Its not about "the children" as so many of them claim--as so many of "the children" are being murdered in the anti gunners so called gun free zones--when the gun free zones are opened to CCW the murder rate always goes down! If these UnAmerican fools truly wanted to save "the children"--they would repeal all their anti gun laws which infringe upon our second amendment rights!
BLADESKATER00

Postby 9mmman » Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:09 am

After looking at many options for a CCW, I chose the HK P2000 SK because of it's size, weight and HK reputation for quality. I clearly made the right choice. This gun is flawless. Have put about 500 rounds through it at the range without even a hint of a hiccup. That's exactly what I want in a CCW piece when my life is on the line. Point...pull trigger....bang.....

I got mine in 9MM with Tru Dot night sights and it is the perfect CCW gun for me. Extremely reliable and accurate. It's expensive but your safety is worth it.

I love this gun. You won't be sorry for buying an HK.
9mmman

Postby jobpatto » Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:50 pm

9mmman, I agree with you review. I have had mine for 4yrs and 800 rounds without the slightest problem. I put an FSL sub-compact rail-mounted laser on mine and it is fantastic. There are some pictures on this site near six or seven. It is so small and I don't even notice it. I holsters just fine and is nice to have in low-light conditions. I must say though, even at the range at 50', I can still do better/more consistent with the 3-dot sights than with the laser. It is sighted perfectly and I can't explain it, it just seems that I can 'drive nails' with the iron sights but have a 5% worse variance with the laser.
jobpatto

Postby bullgumbo » Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:58 pm

I have the USP 45 compact, and am considering buying a 40 cal handgun. Trying to decide between the M&P, Glock and USP 40/2000. Would like it to be concealable and adaptable for laser sights later. Any thoughts or recommendations?
bullgumbo

Postby tigwelder56 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:28 pm

Depends on how much you're willing to spend. If you want to spend $1000, the HK is an excellent handgun. If you want to spend half that and have an absolutely great pistol with comparable weight, ammo capacity and total reliability, the Glock 27 is pretty tempting. The M&P is a decent handgun, but not my cup of eggnog...
NRA Life Member GOA Member
NAGR Member DAV Life Member Oathkeepers Member
Help Save America, have your liberal spayed or neutered!

Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is one well armed sheep contesting the vote! --The Sheep
tigwelder56

Postby bullgumbo » Fri Dec 17, 2010 3:50 am

Thanks for your reply. It's not so much a matter of money as it is picking the best product. The Glock 27 is a great little pistol. I point and shoot with it awfully well. But it hurts my hand to shoot it. Not intolerable, but not ideal either. I haven't tried point and shoot with the S&W, for lack of availability at ranges, but I like the feel of the gun and the laser sights that fit into the backstap on the handle are pretty sweet - so is the lifetime warranty and the S&W reputation. The HK is a great pistol, but I've already got one in 45 cal and kind of like the idea of variety, lighter weight and smaller print in a non-HK 40 cal. S&W is also offering promotions on some of their guns - will have to check it out.
bullgumbo

Postby tigwelder56 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:37 pm

If the Glock 27 is uncomfortable, you might investigate the Glock 23. You could own both for a little more than what you'd pay for the HK. I own the 23 and it's a nice pistol. I understand the generation 4 models have really improved grip dynamics and interchangeable back straps. You might find the gen 4 27 more to your liking.
NRA Life Member GOA Member
NAGR Member DAV Life Member Oathkeepers Member
Help Save America, have your liberal spayed or neutered!

Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is one well armed sheep contesting the vote! --The Sheep
tigwelder56

Postby mbartz462 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:16 pm

I spent a lot of time mulling over whether to buy an HK or a Glock 23. I bought the 23 for my girl and I'm still debating the HK. She liked the 23 because the grip agreed with her hand more than the HK, but I preferred the HK. The 23's grip was just a hair too short for my hand, and I have average sized hands, nothing out of the ordinary. With the interchangeable backstraps the HK is just an awesome firearm, it just feels natural in my hand. The salesman handed it to me and I fell in love with it. I'm really jonesing to buy it, but I'm sure some of you guys probably know how finances are right now...
mbartz462

Postby Will_Carry » Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:04 pm

Oh yeah! Great minds think alike! I went through my guns yesterday to try a figure out which ones I could trade in to help me buy an H&K! I was thinking about selling my Benelli Puma, Ducks Unimited edition, Glock 36 and GP-100. I have since come to my senses and decided to try and save the money instead. If I work a little more OT maybe I can get one this summer.
Will_Carry

PreviousNext

Return to Pistols