>
Board Index Wield Your Weapon Pistols

Walther P22 Reviews

Discuss and review everything about the pistol, from the original 1911, to the modern compact semi-automatic.

Postby SkaStephen » Tue Oct 24, 2006 1:10 am

The good things about this gun...

1. It eats almost about any ammo I feed it(wich is good for a 22lr pistol)

2. The balance is really nice with a fully loaded magazine.

3. Its a good size for concealed carry(even though I would never carry a 22lr with me)

The bad things..

1. Hammer spring broke after 500 rounds.

2. When I finally got it back from s&w the recoil spring did the same(after only 300 rounds)

Im going to fix it myself this time and then probably give it to my brother for free. I wouldnt of ever expected this from a Walther. Ever since s&w and them teamed up their guns have gone to shit.
SkaStephen

Postby 1917-1911M » Thu Oct 26, 2006 5:23 pm

I really like the comprehensive variety of firearms presented for informational purposes and comment on GunDirectory forum. I hope one day this Forum allows photos, etc. as other Forums do. That makes for even more interesting discussion in my opinion. As Ive mentioned in previous posts I have discussed and modified the P-22 regarding every area where Ior others have run into problems. These are discussed at length at RimFirecentral.com, Walther section.

I hope the administrators of GunDirectory dont mind me pointing out yet another gun Forum. I only point you in this direction because much, I mean much has been presented regarding the P-22, problems, solutions, etc. There is a complete disassembly/reassembly section and I recently posted a three part thread on all the mods I do to bring the P-22 up to speed. Mine fire without issues of any kind. They usually will not out of the box. No slide hang-ups, no extraction problems, no jams and none of the screws and bolts loosening and absolutely no wear, even after over 25,000 rounds.

This week I received a very nice e-mail from the P-22 development Engineer at Walther complimenting me on my work with the P-22. I posted a summary of his comments at RFC. In any event Walther does in fact read these Forums to see what users are having to say.

What is encouraging to me is that he is really interested in the modifications Ive made to the P-22, which for the most part are very simple and would coust Walther almost nothing to do. If Walther were to make these few mods, 99% of the complaints about the pistol would end. Hopefully well get there soon. Safe shooting. M1911
1917-1911M

Postby waltherp22 » Sat Oct 28, 2006 9:52 am

Got back the P22 from the factory after repair of the hammerspring. Shot 270 rounds before another problem...the safety lever dropping into the safe position before I get to the 7th round. contacted walther, and is again being sent back for repair. I purchased this two months ago, and have actually had it only about a week.

Think twice before buying this gun. I now wonder what will be the next problem it will have. This will keep me from any other purchases from Walther. Had planned on buying a 9mm from them.
waltherp22

Postby byways » Mon Oct 30, 2006 12:27 am

I had quite a few jams when I first got it, and was concerned it was a lousy gun. Then I cleaned it thoroughly, quit using the bulk brass jacketed .22LR ammunition (550 per box), and started using exclusively CCI Mini Mag copper jacketed solid points. Havent had a single problem since then, and Ive fired hundreds of rounds. I shoot it every weekend, and greatly enjoy it. It is reliable and accurate. Just keep it clean, and stay away from the bulk ammon. Use CCi Mini Mags, keep it clean, and youll enjoy it. Ive not had a single problem since.
byways

Postby 5ring » Thu Nov 02, 2006 7:24 pm

I had the gray frame with the 5 & 3.5 barrels. The 5 barrel would loosen after about twenty rounds. I hated the gray so traded it to a friend for the black frame with the short barrel only. I have had no problems using CCI Quickshock 32gr with slotted heads. They break into three pieces on impact. The gun is very accurate but must be well lubicated. I have noticed an increase in required trigger pull in single-action. I use this as my off-duty concealed carry pistol. Its not the size of the round that counts, its where you put it.
5ring

Postby 1917-1911M » Thu Nov 02, 2006 10:33 pm

There have been many hammer spring breakages on the P-22. Id be concerned about this regarding a ccw. You can clear a jam, cycle a dud round out quickly, load another mag, etc. but, broken hammer spring and youre out of luck. Ive no problem with 11 rounds of mini mags getting the job done. The 3.4 is my pick also in the P-22.
1917-1911M

Postby larryndallas » Thu Nov 02, 2006 10:41 pm

After 600 rounds my lovely little plinker has turned into a frustration of the highest order!!!!!

Already sent back to S&W because of FTE and FTL. Got it back and ran one flawless 10 rounds through it, then every round had to be manually cleared or cycled. Back it goes with a request for a warrantly replacment. Very disapointing to say the least.

If you are carrying this thing around off duty, run some serious ammo through it first. I hope that my experience can be explained mechanically, but I would want to know if it was a design flaw before i trusted my life with it.
larryndallas

Postby waltherp22 » Sat Nov 04, 2006 9:51 pm

My P-22 was left at the local gun store, and they contacted the factory...over 3 weeks ago, and is still waiting for the authorization to ship it back. Seems like service is starting to suck as well. I had contacted walther prior to this, so it isnt the local gun store. I wish I could get a refund, then I would use the refund for a more reliable 22LR handgun. I have owned this for about 3 months now, and have only shot it twice. The remainder of the time has been at their factory for repair.

I was told they are a good brand, but now feel that is incorrect. I am interested in progressing to a 9mm once I become more experienced with the 22LR. Was planning on their brand, but not anymore. Does anyone know if there is a possibility of returning this for a refund? The gun store said no the first time with the broken hammer spring. So I know they wont or cant. Will the factory????
waltherp22

Postby 1917-1911M » Wed Nov 08, 2006 12:15 pm

Waltherp-22, pick up your pistol from the gun store, call the 800# on you manual. That will put you in contact with S&W who services the pistol for Walther in the States. Press #3 when your call goes through, that is the tech. rep. section. Ask for Jeff or Larry, they will take care of you. S&W has either repaired or replaced every P-22 Ive ever read about whether the owner modified it and caused the problems or not. All at their cost. They recently sent me a brand new one as the frame on mine cracked at 27,500 rounds. They will send you a mailing label.

Be polite and tell them what you need to make you happy. They are gun guys and there to help you. It is easy to sell a used P-22. Gun stores usually knock 20% or so off the minute you walk out the door just like a new car. Everything on your P-22 can be fixed and the pistol made very reliable. Unfortunately it is necessary to do some modifications that Walther should be doing in the first place. Visit rimfirecentral, Walther section and read up on the pistol, especially the three part thread on all the mods for a new P-22. Takes about an hour to make the mods and then you wont have any more problems. Hammer spring breakage excepted. Walther now has my last gun that had absolutely no wear at 27,500 rounds, just the broken frame for some reason. I am discusssing the mods with the design engineer there and how to make the P-22 reliable out of the box. M1911
1917-1911M

Postby waltherp22 » Fri Nov 10, 2006 5:40 pm

Thanks for the info, but got it too late. The gun store had it for a month, without any paperwork from walther for the return. THis occurred after I spoke with them (yes they were nice people) and after the gun store. A month went by, and nothing. I was out of town, and the reason I left it with the store. To make the story short, called them again, and was someone new, but she was nice also. Thought of going one step further and spoke to the supervisor (Kate). I would have had a nicer conversation with the wicked witch of the west! Very unpleasant and down right nasty. THen talked with someone else, and again a good converstaion, and discussed about resolving this. AT this point, I am hopeful that what was discussed was with someone honest. Only time will tell.

During all this time, got the info to send it off, and got it fed-ex out today. I just hope this will take care of it, and not be a slow revolving door with it going in and out of the repair shop.

I will take a look at the website you suggested. thanks
waltherp22

PreviousNext

Return to Pistols